92 Jetta 1.6TD starting problems.

Bengti

TDI
85 Jetta turbo diesel
I bought a 92 VW Jetta 1.6TD ~2 weeks ago and it has some starting problems. It doesn't start when the engine is cold. When the engine is warmed up it'll start just fine and it runs great once started. When cold it'll crank over but just not "catch". When cranking it'll smoke white smoke (oil i think). Just put a new set of glow plugs in, and they work. Changed the fuel filter.

The only way I can get it to start is to spray a little bit of starting fluid on the air filter (i know it's bad for the car). If you do this it takes a little bit of cranking and then starts to fire and if I give it a little gas it will turn over and run fine then.

To me it almost seems like the car is not getting any fuel when cranking it. Would this make sense? If anyone can help or has any suggestions please share.

Bengti

TDI
85 Jetta turbo diesel
My friend that changed them said yes. Both the old set and new that he put in he said he check, however i think I'll check them with a test light today when I get off work to be 100 percent.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Other than glow plugs, the only thing I can think of is a marginal battery. Maybe you should have it checked at your local auto parts store. Most will do it for free.

Bengti

TDI
85 Jetta turbo diesel
The battery is dying. However when I try to start the car, it either off a jump from my truck or a battery charger.

Is there a temp sensor for the glow plugs on this model car that could go bad? Or maybe the relay?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Frankly since you know the battery is dying, I would start right there. Jumping, with a marginal battery in the car being jumped often will fail. Few battery chargers have a high enough capacity to jump start a TDI unless they are heavy duty commercial models.

Bengti

TDI
85 Jetta turbo diesel
Let me rephrase my reply. The battery was fine but died due to me trying to start it and trouble shoot. The issue was there before when the battery was ok. A new one is on the list of things to get from the autoparts store anyway.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
look under glow plugs in the search bar

it also could be a bad GP harness or an UNDERSIZED battery

what battery did you put into your car??

Bengti

TDI
85 Jetta turbo diesel
good idea bluesmoker. next step is to check the GP harness, relay, and fuse (fuse looks ok but will test light it)

I didn't put a new battery in the car yet. what should the Cold Cranking Amps be? Autozone says 650 or 700.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
Bengti said:
Is there a temp sensor for the glow plugs on this model car that could go bad? Or maybe the relay?
Yes.
It's on the coolant line going into the head(right at the head). One is for the temp gauge, the other for the glowplugs.(both are black)

Try switching them to see if the temp gauge goes dead, but then the gp's work...:confused:

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip

Bengti

TDI
85 Jetta turbo diesel
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Step 1. I went back and checked the glow plug system with a test light last night and found a problem, power going out of the relay but no power to the plugs. Checked the fuse and it looked fine, but I when taking it out for further inspection the one male end fell off in my hands. Also, after inspecting the wire connected to the fuse the wire was barely held on to the female connector and pretty much fell out. New fuse and recrimp connectors and i finally had power to the plugs.

Step 2. Since I now had power to the plugs I connected the car to my truck to jump (since the battery was DEAD) and it still wouldn't start. After trying and trying I left it on for ~10+ mins and it had just enough juice to fire when it was cranked. Took the car straight to the auto parts store and got a new battery.

Step 3. This morning it was 23 F outside when I left for work. Did a double cycle of the glow plugs just to make sure it wasn't too cold and she fired right up after about 3-4 cranks.

Thanks everyone who helped out with suggestions. I really appriciate it. I'm going to replace some of the wires/connectors since they are getting old and ratty but at least now I can drive her.

Side Note: When I got the car the fuel lines were full of what my guess is either biodiesel or WVO, or maybe old/gelled bio/WVO. It looked a lot like syrup only yellow and didn't really have a smell. Do you think that could have also lead to some of my starting problems?