View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2000, 05:45   #10
Turbo Steve
Veteran Member

Default Re: First oil change (do it myself job)

I too changed my breakin oil at 216 miles and installed a Bypass System with a BE-90 (1 quart) filter at about 1,500 miles. (My kids go a kick out of seeing all those shiney stars (metal flakes) in the oil pan.)

As a precautionary measure during the TDI engine's breakin period, I changed the OEM and Bypass Filter at 5,000 and 10,000 miles respectively.

I've found that (besides an oil filter wrench) using latex gloves greatly helps in removing oil filters, including the large Bypass Filters. (These rubber gloves also easily unscrew the A4 TDI's oil filter cap too.)

If the gloves won't work on the large filter, simply take a screwdriver and drive it through the bypass filter (horizontally) and use it to break the filter loose.

Howard,

I interested checking out your oil analysis results, since we both have an Oil Pan Heater and the same Bypass Systems. We do, however, use different types of synthetic oils, and drive under different conditions, with my results being for double the length of time. I also experience very few cold starts if any at all.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/For...ML/000982.html
Turbo Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06188 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 14.90 Kb. compressed to 13.47 Kb. by saving 1.43 Kb. (9.60%)]