Tacho 2.5 reading PIN and programming key

JetBlu

TDI
2002 Jetta
I used the Vag Tacho 2.5 program to program a new key for my 2002 Jetta. I am writing this in hopes that it will help others to get keys programmed without going to the stealership.

I am going to go over what I did to program my new key, If you follow these instructions, it is at your own discretion and I am in no way responsible for any negative consequences.

1. I ordered a spare key blank some time ago and it had been sitting in a drawer for a while. This is a key with an immobilizer chip, but no FOB.

2. I also bought a vag-tacho cable that came with the vagtacho program, it also had been sitting for several months.

3. I first needed to get the key cut. I tried 3 different VW dealers and ones key-cutter had been broke a while and the other 2 did not have a key cutter. They only ordered keys using the VIN that came precut. Inquiring I got info that a Valet key would be around $65 and a flip-key with new FOB would be around $165 plus programming ($ didn't ask).
To get the key cut I had to go to the AUDI dealership where I was there for a total of 15 minutes. The trace cut the blank from my only key for a total w/tax of $8.74.

4. After installing the program on my laptop, I plugged it the tacho cable and went to the car, Plug in the OBD-II plus into the connector, the green light on the cable will be lit. Start the Vag-Tacho program, after it is up an running, using your old key turn the ignition to on, but do not start the car.

5. On the program go to top, click on select ECU and put the check mark next to 'VDO New'
Now select the button labelled 'Connect Selected ECU'. I first got a message telling me 'Selected ECU Not Found! Try again or Select other ECU!' Going with the first option I tried again by clicking on 'Connect Selected ECU'. I had to do this 3 times before it finally connected and gave me an OK message.

6. After Connecting 'OK', There are more options that become available on the bottom buttons. I first selected 'Read PIN'. replied okay reading, my four digit PIN was revealed and I commited it to memory.

7. I then was ready to proceed with the programming of the NEW Freshly cut key. To begin make sure that the ignition is on with the OLD ALREADY WORKING KEY. Click on 'Program New Key'. A box will pop up with '0000' displayed where your four digit PIN gotten from step 6. I entered the PIN and did not change any other options. Erase all keys WAS NOT selected. The Channel defaulted to 21 so I did not change it.

8. Click on program new key, the program does its magic, my immobilizer idiot light was now flashing. The program then tells you to turn off the ignition, insert the NEW TO BE PROGRAMMED KEY, turn the key back to on, but do not attempt to start the car, Wait 5 Seconds. After 5 Seconds, my immobilizer light was off and I now have 2 keys that will start my car.

*****I originally started with the NEW KEY in the Ignition, I turned the key off and back on to program it. This ends up disabling the original key. I now had to used the NEW KEY and follow the correct directions to reprogram my old key, It worked flawlessly, without a hitch first time. **************

Hopefully this will help someone who like me was searching for this info and you will not have to do as I did and put pieces and parts from different locations.

Good Luck!!

Last edited:

wfg97079

Veteran Member
TDI
for the first time in 17 years, none
more than one key?

I currently have 2 keys that work with my car and I have one cut key that does not. Would the procedure be any different with two working keys and one new key?
JetBlu said:
I used the Vag Tacho 2.5 program to program a new key for my 2002 Jetta. I am writing this in hopes that it will help others to get keys programmed without going to the stealership.

I am going to go over what I did to program my new key, If you follow these instructions, it is at your own discretion and I am in no way responsible for any negative consequences.

1. I ordered a spare key blank some time ago and it had been sitting in a drawer for a while. This is a key with an immobilizer chip, but no FOB.

2. I also bought a vag-tacho cable that came with the vagtacho program, it also had been sitting for several months.

3. I first needed to get the key cut. I tried 3 different VW dealers and ones key-cutter had been broke a while and the other 2 did not have a key cutter. They only ordered keys using the VIN that came precut. Inquiring I got info that a Valet key would be around $65 and a flip-key with new FOB would be around $165 plus programming ($ didn't ask).
To get the key cut I had to go to the AUDI dealership where I was there for a total of 15 minutes. The trace cut the blank from my only key for a total w/tax of $8.74.

4. After installing the program on my laptop, I plugged it the tacho cable and went to the car, Plug in the OBD-II plus into the connector, the green light on the cable will be lit. Start the Vag-Tacho program, after it is up an running, using your old key turn the ignition to on, but do not start the car.

5. On the program go to top, click on select ECU and put the check mark next to 'VDO New'
Now select the button labelled 'Connect Selected ECU'. I first got a message telling me 'Selected ECU Not Found! Try again or Select other ECU!' Going with the first option I tried again by clicking on 'Connect Selected ECU'. I had to do this 3 times before it finally connected and gave me an OK message.

6. After Connecting 'OK', There are more options that become available on the bottom buttons. I first selected 'Read PIN'. replied okay reading, my four digit PIN was revealed and I commited it to memory.

7. I then was ready to proceed with the programming of the NEW Freshly cut key. To begin make sure that the ignition is on with the OLD ALREADY WORKING KEY. Click on 'Program New Key'. A box will pop up with '0000' displayed where your four digit PIN gotten from step 6. I entered the PIN and did not change any other options. Erase all keys WAS NOT selected. The Channel defaulted to 21 so I did not change it.

8. Click on program new key, the program does its magic, my immobilizer idiot light was now flashing. The program then tells you to turn off the ignition, insert the NEW TO BE PROGRAMMED KEY, turn the key back to on, but do not attempt to start the car, Wait 5 Seconds. After 5 Seconds, my immobilizer light was off and I now have 2 keys that will start my car.

*****I originally started with the NEW KEY in the Ignition, I turned the key off and back on to program it. This ends up disabling the original key. I now had to used the NEW KEY and follow the correct directions to reprogram my old key, It worked flawlessly, without a hitch first time. **************

Hopefully this will help someone who like me was searching for this info and you will not have to do as I did and put pieces and parts from different locations.

Good Luck!!

JetBlu

TDI
2002 Jetta
Yes the procedure would be the same, If you happen to start with the wrong key, then you would have to recode all three. But, still using the same process.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I had to reload all the software on my computer and can not find my copy of the older software. Every place I look says not to use the later 3.0 and up software so where can I find an older copy? Thanks I got it.

Last edited:

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
I've got a big question for this. I've got an chipped ECU that the guy selling it can't find his SKC. He's parting out the car and can't find the key. We're giving it a shot to see if I can program it for another Passat.

Problem is that I have the info from the original ECU and cluster (using Tacho) and programmed the new keys that were purchased for the car already. VTacho works and the SKC for the original is correct.

If you read the used ECU while plugged into the vehicle it's being transplanted into, you'll get the SKC for the cluster which is on the vehicle, you can't read the used ECU this way.

I need the SKC for the used ECU being transplanted into this vehicle. Any ideas on how to do this - getting the SKC for his vehicle with out the ECU installed in his vehicle, which is in CA?

I've pretty much tried all I can.
Thanks for any help guys!

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Problem is that I have the info from the original ECU and cluster (using Tacho) and programmed the new keys that were purchased for the car already. VTacho works and the SKC for the original is correct.

If you read the used ECU while plugged into the vehicle it's being transplanted into, you'll get the SKC for the cluster which is on the vehicle, you can't read the used ECU this way.
This is happening because you need to read SKC form ECU not from cluster. You can plug new ECU but if you not reading ECU you will not gret SKC for it.
If you have latest version of VAG-TACHO there is option for it .
It will say Engine ECU 7.xx or EDC15.

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check today. I think I have 2.2 version.

I don't remember if there was an option to read it that way. I know there is on Commander.

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
I do have vag commander - the problem is that it will not read this particular ECU. The car is an Immo3 vehicle, however, for some reason Commander doesn't show an unlocked area (bold lettered blocks) to allow you in to do the things you need to do - like you normally would. It won't highlight the block for the PIN in Commander, which is why I broke down and got the Tacho.

Thanks for the help!:D

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
The problem with flushed ECU is , tuners encrypted them and you won't be able to do anything with any of this tool unless you send it to tuner.That way good tuners always delete IMMO form ECU and that way is plug and play.
I think this is your problem.

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
You know what, I think you're right. For that very reason I called Unitronics this morning to find out what's going on. They said they don't keep customer info of the SKC and referred me to a local dealer to have the IMMO bypassed. So I did, and the dealer wanted $200 to defeat it and lock it that way. I laughed at him and told him they shouldn't expect business if that's the way they are making their money. Other chip mfgs do not do this. They unlock it period. Even if they don't, the others I've spoken with charge $50 and sometimes less, to check it out and/or bypass it. They know you're already purchased it and or did so from someone else. They want their chip out there for better business.

Man, I will try this when I get back to town Sunday.

Thank you again for the super fast responses!!!

copilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks for the write up. None of the VW dealers by me could cut it either. Waiting on a callback from a couple of the audi dealerships and crossing my fingers.

copilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I was able to program one of the new keys using the broken blade from my old key but the second did not program. The immo light is flashing all the time now. Is it going to wait until it sees a new key to program before it stops flashing?

copilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Both keys programmed but the light is still flashing. I used Vag Tacho 2.5 and a cable from dealextreme. Everything seems fine when I connect, the car starts and stays running with both new keys when I use the broken blade from my old key.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
What are you trying to do? If you just needed to replace a broken blade (but the fob was fine), could you not transfer the new blade (when it is cut) into your existing fob? Alternately, you could transfer the immobilizer chip from the old fob to the new fob. You may not need to dabble in the black art of immo programming.

copilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I'm replacing my one broken key with two new keys. They're all capable of starting the car now but the immo light hasn't stopped flashing. I programmed the first key following the instructions but the second wouldn't work. I started the cycle again and programmed the second. The immo light was still flashing throughout all the key changes and testing of the new keys. I'll check again when I get home but it flashed through the entire test drive on each key.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I recently had a locksmith at a GTG hook me up with cutting/programming my new key fob. He gave me my SKC but couldn't program it using legit Vag Tacho. I think it could have something to do with my ECU being encrypted by my tuner? I'm not sure about that though because everything I understand about IMMO and keys is that it all revolves around the cluster. The ECU has IMMO as well, but it's matched to the cluster like keys are matched to the cluster. Anyway, my IMMO3 is still intact and I ended up programming the keys myself with VCDS (must have SKC).
Total Costs:
New Fob- $45 on ebay shipped
Cut and SKC retrieval- $20
Programming- Free
I can't complain about $65 for a new functioning fob. Now I'm where I should be with 2 fobs and a valet! Oh, and the range on the new fob is unreal, I can lock/unlock up to 100' out now instead of about 10-15'.

Last edited:

copilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Checked and it's still flashing. Anyone else experience extended flashing of the IMMO light after programming keys?

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
That is the only proper way to do it, you should always erase all keys and then reprogram all keys.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Do you got the name of this person? Do you know if he can cut if given a VIN? The only place here in town who will do it for me besides the dealer wants almost $100.

I recently had a locksmith at a GTG hook me up with cutting/programming my new key fob. He gave me my SKC but couldn't program it using legit Vag Tacho. I think it could have something to do with my ECU being encrypted by my tuner? I'm not sure about that though because everything I understand about IMMO and keys is that it all revolves around the cluster. The ECU has IMMO as well, but it's matched to the cluster like keys are matched to the cluster. Anyway, my IMMO3 is still intact and I ended up programming the keys myself with VCDS (must have SKC).
Total Costs:
New Fob- $45 on ebay shipped
Cut and SKC retrieval- $20
Programming- Free
I can't complain about $65 for a new functioning fob. Now I'm where I should be with 2 fobs and a valet! Oh, and the range on the new fob is unreal, I can lock/unlock up to 100' out now instead of about 10-15'.