2011 jetta tdi won't fire up

TDI
1997 Passat TDI 1.9 liter sedan
Hi everyone. I've a frustrating problem that perhaps someone can help solve for me. I've a 2011 Jetta TDI. The motor will crank over but won't start. The car has been at the dealership for 2 weeks. Initially the in-tank fuel pump died and was replaced with a new filter as well by BCAA (British Columbia Automobile Association) shop. The car ran for about 2 weeks. Then it stopped running. Took it back to BCAA and they couldn't find the problem. Towed it to the VW dealership. They found that the 2nd. fuel pump was not pushing enough fuel to the High Pressure Fuel Pump, as I was told it was only pushing 0.66 bars, and should have been 3.something bars. The dealer replaced both the second pump and the High Pressure Fuel Pump, but the engine still won't run. It just turns over. The car has 60,000 kms (40,000 miles). The dealership is puzzled as to why it won't run. The car shows no codes....that everything is fine. They asked about the fuel maybe being bad and where I filled up. I don't think the fuel is the problem as my truck has the same and it runs just fine, plus I was told by BCAA that they drained the tank and put in fresh fuel as a possible solution.

I intend to sell the car back to VW but to do so, it has to be running. What can be causing this problem? I'm stumped, and so is the dealer. Do the 2011's have a 109 relay, or something like it? If so, the glow plug light on the dash still comes on and goes off when ready. Any assistance and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cesar F.

TDI
2001 and 2011 Jetta Highline
How is the weather where you live? Because when it was - 35 Celsius my car started no problem then at - 5 it would just turn bit not start. I made the dealer, at the 3rd incident, to check the intercooler hoses and they found ice/water.
Check the sticky that talks about the famous intercooler icing.
Hope this is your problem, other than that the car is great! I have a 2011 as well

Cesar F.

TDI
2001 and 2011 Jetta Highline
Oh and the dealership knows about this because VW came with a intercooler kit to fix that issue.
Or wait till warmer weather comes and the cat will start and just drive it and save the hassle

TDI
The weather here is quite warm. 25-30 degrees celsius, or roughly around 80-90 farenheit. The initial problem started in November when the temperature was around 10-15 Celsius (about 50-60 Farenheit). The problem did not start due to cold weather so I'm pretty sure it's not the intercooler. If it were the intercooler, the water / ice would have evaporated by now I think. The car sat unused after it stopped running from November till now.

TDI
Checked with the dealer today. Was told that the fuel injectors were plugged. They took them out and replaced them temporarily with used ones from another used car on the lot, and the engine fired up. So it seems the car needs new fuel injectors. They asked about the fuel, if gasoline had been put in it by mistake, as apparently they smelled something like gas when they took the injectors out. No, there was no mistake. I last filled it with diesel. Since they had to replace all 3 fuel pumps, I'm assuming that the problem started with the High Pressure Fuel Pump perhaps gradually wearing down such that tiny metal fragments clogged the injectors. It's a common problem with that. If serious enough a failure, it'll destroy the engine. The dealer has been in contact with VW to cover some of the cost of getting the car running. Will know tomorrow if VW steps up to the plate. Otherwise, this will be a very expensive repair. VW has known for a long time that the HPFP is faulty but won't do much about it. I heard VW has given America a 10 year warranty on it, but only 5 here in Canada. Well, the 5 years have come and gone. I'm hoping VW will step up, but I won't hold my breath.

By the way, the car only has 60,000 kms (40,000 miles) on it. This problem should not have happened this early.

Last edited: