Want to get my gas mileage and change my 01m transmission code to Economy

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd like to change my transmission code to Economy. Cheapest route?

I'd like to check my mpg using a utility as opposed to always doing the math at the pump.

I have an ELM327. Regular Torque works fine with it. I read some phantom posts that Torque Pro can provide pretty good accuracy as far as MPG on this vehicle but I can't find settings so far.

Scanguage II....is this my best bet maybe?

Help...thanks.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I really hope your gas mileage sux? ;) ba dum!

There have been some threads on here about doing the manual swap. I would check them out while waiting for someone to chime in.

But honestly unless you put another 100K or 200k miles on the car, this will not pay for itself. Unless the trans poops itself and you have to spend money anyway, just keep it or get a manual trans car.

Jason

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You are better off using something like the Fuelly app on your phone. I use this and just text in mpg (miles/price/gallons). You get a return text of the economy. Nothing you use connected to the car will be as accurate as a calculated number is.

Here is mine:
http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

Texting it in is easy and quick and you can go back and edit and add things online later if you like.

Last edited:

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
I really hope your gas mileage sux? ;) ba dum!

There have been some threads on here about doing the manual swap. I would check them out while waiting for someone to chime in.

But honestly unless you put another 100K or 200k miles on the car, this will not pay for itself. Unless the trans poops itself and you have to spend money anyway, just keep it or get a manual trans car.

Jason
"I really hope your gas mileage sux? ;) ba dum!":confused:

Yeah, I know about the auto. :) Good analysis on the transition from auto to manual. I'd natively do it myself but just don't have the time to do so like I could when I am younger and had all the time on earth.

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
You are better off using something like the Fuelly app on your phone. I use this and just text in mpg (miles/price/gallons). You get a return text of the economy. Nothing you use connected to the car will be as accurate as a calculated number is.

Here is mine:
http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

Texting it in is easy and quick and you can go back and edit and add things online later if you like.
Thank you for this. I will try it out.

I'd like to get the trans into economy mode as well. What do I need to do that as well?

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I wasn't aware that this transmission had any sort of "economy" mode, or any shift calibration other than the standard one.

What sort of driving ...

If it's mostly highway, such that the transmission is mostly in top gear with the torque converter locked ... there's nothing else that can be done.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
In the 2002 you can reset the automatic to factory setting. If you bought the car used the tranny learned the former owners driving habits.

To reset, get in your car. Push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there. Then insert your key and turn it but DO NOT start the car. Hold this for 15 seconds without taking your foot off the pedal. Next turn the key off and release the pedal.
This should reset the tranny.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
"I really hope your gas mileage sux? ;) ba dum!":confused:
Silver was gently letting you know that the term "gas mileage" applies to vehicles that run on gas. "Gas pedal", "gas tank", etc. become fuel pedal, fuel tank, etc.

If you have a link to a thread on different eco modes for an 01M, please post.

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh hahahahaahahah! I tried so hard to use fuel where I could but brain was asleep when I posted.

Reading through the tread and will post the eco codes in a bit!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The 01M can be manually coded for "economy", "sport", or have the Dynamic Shift Program where it tries to figure out what to do. You can monitor the "Sport Factor" in VCDS to get an idea of what it's up to.

Whenever I've manually coded an 01M I found it made it drive worse.... better to just leave it in DSP. If you drive with a light foot, it will be in the economy program anyway.

-J

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Three modes, Economy, Sport, and DSP. I prefer Sport for 01Ms bolted to the ALH, and Economy for those bolted to the gas engines. I find DSP becomes tiresome and confusing and often the TCM struggles to find out when it needs to change between the two.

But in any case, easy to change with VCDS. There are helper boxes that pop up in the TCM coding to tell you what to change. If you drive a lot of highway driving, it will not matter a whole lot, as it will be in 4th+ lockup the whole time anyway, regardless of soft coding.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I prefer Sport for 01Ms bolted to the ALH, and Economy for those bolted to the gas engines. I find DSP becomes tiresome and confusing and often the TCM struggles to find out when it needs to change between the two.
^this.

I recoded my 01M to "sport" and turned off DSP years ago. IMHO, this is what you want.

Being used to a "dumber" TCU in my Jeep meant I was used to modulating my foot, and that caused a never-ending cycle of me and the TCU trying to out-think each other in the VW. I also found the lower shift points tended to induce lugging on hills.

And no, I don't think "sport" mode hurts MPG - I averaged 43-45mpg with mine after doing the recoding, and the two best tanks I ever got (47.xxx mpg) were also post-recode.

Edit: Ross-Tech page on 01M coding: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/4-Speed_Automatic_Transmission_(01M)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Fuelly CAN be done texting in, but it is so much easier using the browser on your smartphone ( http://m.fuelly.com )( or your computer). You can even text in for different vehicles using a code letter, but as I stated - it's easier using the mobile web page.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And on the replacing the O1M automatic with a 5 speed manual - I paid $3000 to have mine done. I've put 120K + miles since doing it, and my MPG jumped up quite a bit . I'd say it's been worth it for me, but YMMV.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I beg to differ. What can be easier than entering in 3 sets of numbers in a text.

More intuitive when you have more than one vehicle (I'm currently doing 2 cars and a Motorcycle, before I got rid of a 3rd car), plus using the mobile web interface lets you add additional data on your fillups (like location, additional notes, etc.).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Multiple cars can easily be handled by text as well. Additional data can be entered online later at your convenience instead of at the pump where you are blocking others or pulling over and having to do it on your phone.

But either way is fine and both are pretty easily done.

Long ago I suggested that they enable the ability to take a picture of your receipt and have that enter the data and store a copy of the receipt. But they haven't seen fit to do this.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Can't you just get a receipt from the pump, jot the trip reading on it, and do the text later?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I get the receipt, pull away from the pump so I am not blocking anyone and text it in. If I feel the need for additional info I do it online later. Taking a pic was in response to VW saying you had gas in the tank instead of diesel. It provided some proof. If you could take a pic of the receipt, and it do both, it would have been a win-win. It takes just a few seconds to text it in. I used to take pics of all my receipts and file them so I had a record of every fill up, just in case. I don't do that any more but I do go back online and fill in the location and other details in Fuelly.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Fuelly does that automatically including graphing them for you. You can also download them from the site for a spreadsheet if you like.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Three modes, Economy, Sport, and DSP. I prefer Sport for 01Ms bolted to the ALH, and Economy for those bolted to the gas engines. I find DSP becomes tiresome and confusing and often the TCM struggles to find out when it needs to change between the two.
But in any case, easy to change with VCDS. There are helper boxes that pop up in the TCM coding to tell you what to change. If you drive a lot of highway driving, it will not matter a whole lot, as it will be in 4th+ lockup the whole time anyway, regardless of soft coding.
^Pretty much.

Also, swapping to a manual gets you huge gains in MPGs. Almost seems as if the people I do the swap for get better fuel economy than the cars that can manual from the factory. Maybe the 11 mm pump and smaller nozzles are more efficient when bolted to a manual than the 10 mm and bigger nozzles. *shrug*

I will say that on some later transmissions, I especially noticed this on the 01V bolted to the BHWs, leaving DSP enabled in coding makes for a much better driving experience, especially if you deal with any steep hills. Without DSP, it will upshift much more frequently when you lift your foot off the throttle some, which is often times exactly what you don't want it to do, you want it to hold the lower gear while on that incline because when you make your turn and want to accelerate again it would have to downshift after it already went up a gear.

I experienced that in several instances with one of my BHWs living in a hilly area. When I reverted the coding back to enable DSP, it seems as if it was taking into account the inclination that the ABS/ESP was reporting on CAN and holding the gear appropriately, making for smarter operation from the transmission without my having to intervene in tiptronic mode.

If you live in flatlandia, you won't notice the difference. But living here, I certainly did notice the difference with DSP on.

The 01Ms are a different story, though. There's nothing all that great about their operation. Torque converter? More like torque absorber, amirite?? :D

Well, I guess converter is still accurate... it's converting your torque to heat and noise. lol

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I put my RC1 equipped BHW to 1134 soft coding at Jeff's suggestion, and never looked back. It works MUCH better ALL the time. I wish I could find a coding that would play nicer with the ZF box in my AWM Passat. That thing is awful, and I pretty much always have to avail myself of the Tip mode when I drive it at higher speeds, and even then, the TCM tries to over ride me.

[I hate automatics :mad: ]