Timing Belt Training/Observation/Experience?

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat
Hi all. Hoping I get lucky and someone in the Vegas area knows how to do a TB on a TDI (I have an ALH). I’m probably 1-2 years away so I have time to help/see many. I can provide beer and perhaps even some tools. I want to be able to do my own TBs on my ALH but don’t have the confidence to just “jump in” and give it a whirl with no training/experience. I want to expand my capabilities beyond basic maintenance.

I work for an airline so I’d even consider flying somewhere to watch and learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Hi all. Hoping I get lucky and someone in the Vegas area knows how to do a TB on a TDI (I have an ALH). I’m probably 1-2 years away so I have time to help/see many. I can provide beer and perhaps even some tools. I want to be able to do my own TBs on my ALH but don’t have the confidence to just “jump in” and give it a whirl with no training/experience. I want to expand my capabilities beyond basic maintenance.

I work for an airline so I’d even consider flying somewhere to watch and learn!

I do them from time to time. In Houston. Feel free to use that option. Have an ALH to do right now. Maybe next weekend. Also a common rail one as well.

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat
I do them from time to time. In Houston. Feel free to use that option. Have an ALH to do right now. Maybe next weekend. Also a common rail one as well.

Much appreciated! This month wouldn’t work too well for me but I’ll keep that in mind! Cheers!

I’m hoping to move to Houston in 4-5 years once I finish my retirement and can move there for my airline.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Going to GTGs is an excellent way to observe and assist with maintenance items before having to jump in and go full-on DIY. I watched & helped with a few timing belts before doing them myself... and saw a few go completely off the rails.

Really helps to learn what to do and more importantly what NOT to do.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Peruse this site for possible local gatherings-Mountain/Southwest States

More info on last page of this thread-TDI fest 2019-2020

But I think if you can lay your car up for like a week, you won't have problems doing it yourself. Find 2 different instructions, read them clear through more than once before starting.