Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Dealer is not setting the trade-in value (Fair Market Value) and it is not tied to condition. It is set by the process run buy the claims administrator based on your mileage reported up to 20 days before your appointment (before they have even seen your car). See Schedule H

Dealer has nothing to do with setting the Vehicle Value nor Fair Market Value. If you are trading in you only need to negotiate with a salesman on the purchase price of your new VW.
There is a trade in value (what this is by my definition is what the dealer will offer you based on current market at time of trade, nothing to do with the buyback number) and a buyback value. The buyback value is set by the legal process based on the court approved process and based in some form on Sep 15 CBB values, + a mileage adjustment. There will be a difference between those 2 values if you choose to trade, and VW will "top up" your trade in value to the buyback number. You will not save sales tax on the top up dollars from VW.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
There is a trade in value (what this is by my definition is what the dealer will offer you based on current market at time of trade, nothing to do with the buyback number) and a buyback value. The buyback value is set by the legal process based on the court approved process and based in some form on Sep 15 CBB values, + a mileage adjustment. There will be a difference between those 2 values if you choose to trade, and VW will "top up" your trade in value to the buyback number. You will not save sales tax on the top up dollars from VW.
My point, that seems to be misunderstood, is that the trade in value (aka the Fair Market Value) is not set by the dealer. As with the Vehicle Value (the buyback value) it is also set based on the legal process based on mileage you report up to 20 days before your appointment. Read Schedule H; it is all in there. The dealer is not going to determine the trade-in value. As you say he will credit that against your new purchase so you don't pay sales tax on that part, but it is pre-determined before you walk into the dealership.

Bajszi

TDI
2011 Golf SW
Hey guys,

I haven't been here since late December (the last court date). I read the last 5-6 pages, but there are a lot of comments I missed. Is there anything important I might've missed?

I got a mail from the "Volkswagen Class Action Administration". It has a legal notice of upcoming court hearings form, but I don't think I have to do anything. It says I have three options; Participate, Object or Exclude. Also gives the court dates (March 22 and 31). Did you guys get this letter too?

We do not have to register anywhere else right? If my car's VIN is qualified, then I'm included in the action plan, right?

Thanks, and sorry if someone already asked these questions.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Hey guys,

I haven't been here since late December (the last court date). I read the last 5-6 pages, but there are a lot of comments I missed. Is there anything important I might've missed?

I got a mail from the "Volkswagen Class Action Administration". It has a legal notice of upcoming court hearings form, but I don't think I have to do anything. It says I have three options; Participate, Object or Exclude. Also gives the court dates (March 22 and 31). Did you guys get this letter too?

We do not have to register anywhere else right? If my car's VIN is qualified, then I'm included in the action plan, right?

Thanks, and sorry if someone already asked these questions.
Yes, not much to do until court date unless you want to object to the settlement, which you can do by mail or email using the form linked in vwcanadasettlement.ca (check this thread as well: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=473810).

If you want to take chances and opt out of the settlement all together, the website has the link to the corresponding form as well. Deadline for both, objecting or opting out is the same, March 4th.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Hey guys,

Unfortunately no, you didn't miss anything .... LOL ... we are all watching "paint to dry" here, so to speak, eager to move on, whatever that means individually for people.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
My point, that seems to be misunderstood, is that the trade in value (aka the Fair Market Value) is not set by the dealer. As with the Vehicle Value (the buyback value) it is also set based on the legal process based on mileage you report up to 20 days before your appointment. Read Schedule H; it is all in there. The dealer is not going to determine the trade-in value. As you say he will credit that against your new purchase so you don't pay sales tax on that part, but it is pre-determined before you walk into the dealership.
I think we are both saying the same thing, current CBB at time of trade in will determine the "Fair Market Value Trade in credit", that's what dealers use all the time to determine trade in?

One unclear area is possibly current condition, say dents or bald tires, damaged upholstery, etc. I hope you are right that these will have no effect on "Fair market value trade in credit".

Time will tell on all our thoughts and concerns.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Tom Ristic (RicePoint Support)

Feb 13, 16:13 EST

Hello,

This message confirms receipt of your Canadian VW Settlement Objection Form.

Regards,

Tom Ristic
Claims Administrator / Administrateur des réclamations

RicePoint Administration
Objection filed and accepted.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Lengthy reply from EC

Good morning Mr. XXXX

Please find below the response from our program staff concerning your question.

Dear Mr. XXXX:

The Government of Canada is committed to clean transportation and is implementing stringent emission regulations to reduce air pollutants from new cars in Canada in alignment with the national standards of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. In July 2015, Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) put in place world-leading standards under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA) to further limit air pollutant emissions from new cars and light trucks beginning in the 2017 model year to align with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Tier 3 standards. Please be assured that the Government of Canada takes the health and safety of Canadians very seriously. Canada has a strong regulatory regime when it comes to vehicle emissions and ECCC will continue to work to ensure that the stringent air quality and vehicle emission standards are respected, for the benefit of all Canadians.

ECCC is committed to enforcing Canada’s federal environmental laws and regulations. The Department’s experts are actively investigating the alleged importation into Canada of certain Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche 2.0 litre and 3.0 litre diesel vehicle models equipped with a prohibited defeat device. This investigation involves gathering evidence and information relevant to a suspected violation of the regulations. Should Environment and Climate Change Canada find sufficient evidence of violations, enforcement action will be taken in accordance with the Compliance and Enforcement Policy of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (available at: http://www.ec.gc.ca/lcpe-cepa/default.asp?lang=En&n=5082BFBE-1).

Canada has a long history of working closely with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to align our emission standards and to coordinate their implementation, which results in efficiencies in the delivery of our respective regulatory programs. ECCC is currently collaborating with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to identify the presence of potential defeat devices through tests of a broad spectrum of light-duty diesel vehicles. Our contribution to these joint efforts with the U.S. EPA has enabled the early identification of potential defeat devices. In the current case of alleged defeat devices, the determination of appropriate technical remedial measures is complex. Volkswagen Group Canada Inc.’s parent company in Germany and the other subsidiary in the United States are working with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board to develop appropriate technical solutions that would reduce NOx emissions from affected vehicles. Volkswagen Group Canada Inc. has advised ECCC that once a remedial plan is finalized in the United States, the company will follow suit with all vehicle-related measures also applicable in Canada. Accordingly, once a remedial plan is finalized in the United States for certain affected vehicles current owners of those affected vehicles in Canada should be notified by Volkswagen Group Canada Inc. concerning the applicable corrective action for their vehicles, consistent with the general framework of the Notice of Defect provisions under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999. On January 6, 2017, the U.S. EPA approved a technical fix for some affected Volkswagen and Audi diesel vehicles equipped with 2.0 L engines (i.e., those affected diesel vehicle models of the 2015 model year also known as “Generation 3” vehicles). Volkswagen Group Canada Inc. has since notified the Department of their intention to implement this approved technical fix for these Generation 3 vehicles. While this represents the first approved fix, efforts are continuing towards determining appropriate fixes for other affected vehicles.

The Government of Canada also takes allegations of deceptive marketing practices very seriously. On December 19, 2016, the Federal Competition Bureau announced that it reached an agreement with Volkswagen Group Canada Inc. and Audi Canada Inc. that includes a penalty of $15 million to address the Bureau's conclusion that false or misleading environmental marketing claims were used to promote certain vehicles with 2.0 litre diesel engines. The Competition Bureau also assisted in the development of a proposed Canadian class action settlement agreement that, if approved by the courts, will include compensation for vehicle owners. Additional information on the proposed class action settlement relating to affected vehicles with 2.0 litre diesel engines that was also announced on December 19, 2016 is available at: https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en/. Volkswagen Group Canada Inc. and lawyers representing consumers are continuing discussions towards a potential class action settlement for affected diesel vehicles with 3.0 litre engines.

In Canada, the regulation of motor vehicles is a shared responsibility between federal and provincial, territorial, or aboriginal governments. The establishment of requirements and restrictions related the use of vehicles on Canadian roads is a matter that falls within provincial jurisdiction. For example, provinces are responsible for the development and administration of vehicle emission testing programs that apply to vehicle owners and are linked to vehicle registration regimes. According, you may wish to contact your provincial government for more information relating to the use of vehicles on roads.

I trust that this information is of assistance.

Thank you and have a great day and week!

Julie Bertrand
Public Inquiries Centre
Communications Branch
Environment and Climate change Canada
7th floor, Fontaine Building
200, Sacré-Cœur boul.
Gatineau, Québec
K1A OH3
ec.enviroinfo.ec@canada.ca
Telephone: Toll free: 800-668-6767 (in Canada only) or local 819-938-3860

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
Good morning Mr. XXXX

Please find below the response from our program staff concerning your question.

Dear Mr. XXXX:

The Government of Canada...(snip)
Thank you for posting this. Not very informative, IMO. But so usually are government responses to inquires. At least you got a response.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
I didn't know that VW had been fined $15 mill before this email.
So why can't that be the end of it? Why do we have to be punished, too? We have done nothing wrong.

I don't live in an area where there is smog, at all. There is no benefit to my buying a new car, when you consider the mine-to-crusher environmental cost of my doing that.

And I'd like to know how the hell my government allowed 100 000 cars on the road that didn't meet standards. The government should be sued by all of us because of the heartache and inconvenience.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
So why can't that be the end of it? Why do we have to be punished, too? We have done nothing wrong.
I don't live in an area where there is smog, at all. There is no benefit to my buying a new car, when you consider the mine-to-crusher environmental cost of my doing that.
Since you asked ... because every other manufacture would do the same thinking ... "Cool, I can pay only 15 mil and can get away with that." ... while it doesn't really make whole lot of difference in emissions footprint (in large schema of things) to take these cars off the road, it would set a precedent, which they would be crazy to allow. They would create a possible nightmare for themselves.

You still don't know what happens, if there's no fix for your car you want to keep .... Maybe you get your wish come true in the end.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Since you asked ... because every other manufacture would do the same thinking ...
So the government should increase the fine and leave me out of it.

if there's no fix for your car you want to keep .... Maybe you get your wish come true in the end.
If there is no fix for my car, I am going to get a letter from Kathleen Wynne with a picture of a leaf at the top. It will say I will no longer be allowed to register the vehicle, because it violates provincial law to operate a vehicle that is not emissions-compliant.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
You will likely not have to do anything if you don't want to sell your car back. If there is no fixed approved then you will continue to be able to register your car, as you can do now.

If VW does come up with a fix then you can let VW fix it and receive a handsome bonus. Even then, it's not clear if you will be forced to get the fix (they will not be forced in the USA). Of course if you don't get it fixed you don't get the bonus.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
If there is no fixed approved then you will continue to be able to register your car, as you can do now.
Nonsense. I am violating the law every time I drive it - look it up. It is just that the government is not enforcing that law right now because it is waiting on developments related to fixes.

Make no mistake, every affected TDI owner who drives his car is in violation of provincial law. Right now, today.

Even then, it's not clear if you will be forced to get the fix
Nonsense. I got this from the person in the MOECC who replied to an inquiry I made:

"While we will take measures to minimize the inconvenience to owners, an affected vehicle must get the required software or hardware repairs, upgrades or replacements as soon as possible once a fix is announced."

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
And who is going to verify that the fix is installed? No DriveClean required where I live.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Nonsense. I am violating the law every time I drive it - look it up.
From what I read, in the US, any state that accepts any of settlement money can not refuse registration of a dieselgate TDI. This ruling is not depending on accepted or rejected fixes....it doesnt speak of any fixes in regards to registration of the affected vehicles.
Unless I missed something somewhere....

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
From what I read, in the US, any state that accepts any of settlement money can not refuse registration of a dieselgate TDI. This ruling is not depending on accepted or rejected fixes....it doesnt speak of any fixes in regards to registration of the affected vehicles.
Unless I missed something somewhere....
Honestly, I have no idea what is going on in the USA because I haven't looked into it too deeply.

What I can tell you is that under the Ontario Environmental Protection Act, there is regulation 361/98 which states:

(2) Every motor vehicle for which emission standards are prescribed in this section shall comply with those standards. O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

(3) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor vehicle that does not comply with subsection (2). O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

... and it seems quite clear to me that everyone who drives an affected TDI today, is in violation of (3).

There is nothing preventing the Ontario government from looking up all the VINs for the affected vehicles, and sending the owners the bad news that they can no longer operate these cars in the absence of an approved fix that has been installed.

And I am not hopeful that there will ever be a fix for my Gen 1 car.

I don't know what the case is, for yourself in New Brunswick.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
Honestly, I have no idea what is going on in the USA because I haven't looked into it too deeply.

What I can tell you is that under the Ontario Environmental Protection Act, there is regulation 361/98 which states:

(2) Every motor vehicle for which emission standards are prescribed in this section shall comply with those standards. O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

(3) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor vehicle that does not comply with subsection (2). O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

... and it seems quite clear to me that everyone who drives an affected TDI today, is in violation of (3).

There is nothing preventing the Ontario government from looking up all the VINs for the affected vehicles, and sending the owners the bad news that they can no longer operate these cars in the absence of an approved fix that has been installed.

I completely disagree. The only emission standard set in Ontario for light duty diesel vehicles is the OBD (On-Board Diagnostic Test) standards for newer vehicles (older vehicles non compatible with OBD test are evaluated using the opacity test). Nowhere in there NOx is mentioned.

The only reason the government is doing something is to follow suit with the Americans in terms of what EPA found in the infamous white paper regarding NOx released by several brands of light duty diesel vehicles, where the VW and Audi vehicles equipped with 2.0 and 3.0 engines appeared as those with the largest discrepancies in emission of NOx.

Now, this is not to say that they will not set some kind of mandatory test for NOx in the future, but it's not known at the moment.

I agree with you in that if a fix is approved, people will be forced to apply it before they can renew registration. Time will tell.

Last edited:

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
I completely disagree. The only emission standard set in Ontario for light duty diesel vehicles is the OBD (On-Board Diagnostic Test) standards for newer vehicles (older vehicles non compatible with OBD test are evaluated using the opacity test). Nowhere in there NOx is mentioned.
You can disagree if you want, but it is all laid out on this webpage:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/volkswagen-diesel-models-and-emissions-testing

which says that our cars are not in compliance with the Drive Clean program (this is the opposite of what you seem to be saying):

"Once Volkswagen, Porsche and Audi have identified a plan to resolve this situation, we will work with owners to help ensure their vehicles are in compliance with the Drive Clean Program.

We are concerned about the owners of the affected vehicles and will take measures to minimize the inconvenience to them. However, an affected vehicle must get the required software or hardware repairs, upgrades or replacements as soon as possible once a fix is announced."

Just because the OBDII test doesn't detect the violation, doesn't mean our cars are not in violation.

Last edited:

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Here in NB, there's no emission testing. Some dont even have mufflers around here, "...you wanna see real straight pipes son?". :D

I get what you're saying. But I personally do not believe that Ontario (or any other province that has testing) would send letters or pull vehicles off the road or even deny registration if the fix is pending and/or installed after its approval. Should someone opt out of the settlement, not get the fix 'after' its been proven to be working and continue driving the car "as is"...then yes of course the government will say hi, cant really disagree there. But for now, they have to suspend, pending outcome....and I say this because the Ontario government will be accepting money from the settlement....with the settlement there are stipulations, etc. In the US they clearly said that any state accepting money cannot deny registration. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
You do realize that even with the proposed fixes they will not meet the regulations for allowed emissions. VW has already been given a waiver by the EPA (and hence Canada) that will allow emissions with the fix to be 4x higher.

Are you saying that our cars will be removed from the road even with the fix.... I don't think so.

Last edited:

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
and vehicles like mine that don't fall under the U.S. or Canadian settlement are going to be disallowed future registration then? not bloody likely!

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
If there is no fix for my car, I am going to get a letter from Kathleen Wynne with a picture of a leaf at the top. It will say I will no longer be allowed to register the vehicle, because it violates provincial law to operate a vehicle that is not emissions-compliant.
You are clearly speculating here big time ...

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
and vehicles like mine that don't fall under the U.S. or Canadian settlement are going to be disallowed future registration then? not bloody likely!

Exactly, people are speculating left and right.

I have heard from, let's just say a source I cannot 100% vouch for, that he knows of at least one DriveClean facility, who has received a letter from the government basically saying that DriveClean as we know it right now will be retired as of April 2017, with no available replacement announced ... I know, sounds like an early April joke and it very well might be. But on the other hand, there's so many opponents of DriveClean that Wynn might have actually consider it, since the election is next year. She doesn't have much of good done under her time so far, so she will be in dire need to come up with something most Ontario voters would perceive as money saving exercise to them. I think that even the treehuggers would agree that DriveClean is basically irrelevant as far as improving our environment today .... so chances are Wynn will too.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
You do realize that even with the proposed fixes they will not meet the regulations for allowed emissions. VW has already been given a waiver by the EPA (and hence Canada) that will allow emissions with the fix to be 4x higher.

Are you saying that our cars will be removed from the road even with the fix.... I don't think so.
Not saying that, at all. I assume anybody who gets an approved fix is grandfathered. I think the Gen 3 people have nothing much to worry about. But I don't see any really good way to fix my Gen 1 car, certainly no economic way.

If there is not ever a fix for my car, I can definitely see the government saying "VW offered you a buyback. We are not saying you have to take the buyback, but we are saying you can't register the car anymore."

You are clearly speculating here big time ...
Not speculating about the fact that it is flatly illegal for me to drive my car in its present state, today. I have an email directly from Government of Ontario MOECC that says exactly that.

The government has already said that the owners of the Gen 2 and Gen 3 cars are getting letters (with a leaf at the top), saying that they will not be able to renew their registrations if they don't get an approved fix. That part is not speculation; the government has published this.

It is true that it is speculation that there will not be a fix for Gen 1 cars. But if there is not ever a fix, what do you suppose the letter will say?

I have heard from, let's just say a source I cannot 100% vouch for, that he knows of at least one DriveClean facility, who has received a letter from the government basically saying that DriveClean as we know it right now will be retired as of April 2017
That would be good news for sure. But I'm not sure it will save the TDI owners who wanted to drive their cars into the ground unmolested by "fixes."

I think that even the treehuggers would agree that DriveClean is basically irrelevant as far as improving our environment today .... so chances are Wynn will too.
I can tell you without question, that making 105 000 Canadian TDI owners buy new cars is about the most environmentally offensive move they can make. My car already exists and produces less emissions than any gasoline car, except for NOx but I don't live in an area where there is smog. It would be much better for the environment to let me keep my car for the 10 additional years I was planning to keep it.

Last edited:

habsfan

TDI
mkvii sportwagon
Just got the recall package for Gen 3 TDI cars in Canada, came via regular mail - says that you can get phase I fix prior to court approval without impacting on your choice for buyback, trade in or fix.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Just got the recall package for Gen 3 TDI cars in Canada, came via regular mail - says that you can get phase I fix prior to court approval without impacting on your choice for buyback, trade in or fix.
It doesn't impact your choice as long as you get it done before the claims process formally starts. . If you have this fix done after the claim process has started (late March) then you will no longer be eligible for the buy back (see paragraph 4.7.4.2.of the agreement). I bet some will be trapped by this, so be careful.

habsfan

TDI
mkvii sportwagon
It doesn't impact your choice as long as you get it done before the claims process formally starts. . If you have this fix done after the claim process has started (late March) then you will no longer be eligible for the buy back (see paragraph 4.7.4.2.of the agreement). I bet some will be trapped by this, so be careful.
that's why I used the words "prior to court approval"