I ran Schaefer’s 5W-50 oil in PD TDI

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Likely sheared to a 5w-40 or less since it was highly polymerized. To get the 5w the group III base oil would be equal to any other 5w ( think thin to get down to -30C) and therefore would be loaded with polymers. It is the base oil viscosity that determines HTHS not the polymers. Since it looks like it is a gas engine oil you likely drained early. Poor investment.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Looks like a good track oil. I wouldn't want the fuel efficiency penalty in a daily driver.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
To get the 5w the group III base oil would be equal to any other 5w ( think thin to get down to -30C) and therefore would be loaded with polymers...... Since it looks like it is a gas engine oil you likely drained early. Poor investment.
It’s a synthetic oil. Oftentimes synthetic oils have innate 5W-30 characteristics without any Viscosity Index modifiers needed. (Of course I had 5W-50 so it had some VIMs added.)

And I ran the full 10,000 miles

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Since it's a gas motorcycle oil I wonder how much soot it left in the engine compared to a Diesel rated oil.

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
8008 Advanced European Performance Mid SAPS 5W-30
Mid sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur (SAPS) formula for highly tuned, advanced, four cylinder European gasoline engines, diesel passenger cars fitted with diesel particulate filters and light commercial vehicles that are naturally aspirated or turbocharged.
Safety Data Sheet Technical Data
Advanced European Performance Mid SAPs SAE 5W-30 meets, exceeds and is suitable for use for the following specifications: ACEA C3-2012; API Service Classification SN/CF; GM dexos®-2 compliant, VW 502.00/505.00, Mercedes Benz MB 229.31; Porsche A40. Advanced European Performance Mid SAPs SAE 5W-30 is also suitable for use in those applications that specify the use of BMW Long Life-04, MB 229.51, Chrysler MS-11106 and VW 504.00/507.00 quality engine oil at the recommended OEM drain intervals
Schaeffer’s Advanced European Performance Oils

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
8008 Advanced European Performance Mid SAPS 5W-30
Mid sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur (SAPS) formula for highly tuned, advanced, four cylinder European gasoline engines, diesel passenger cars fitted with diesel particulate filters and light commercial vehicles that are naturally aspirated or turbocharged.
Safety Data Sheet Technical Data
Advanced European Performance Mid SAPs SAE 5W-30 meets, exceeds and is suitable for use for the following specifications: ACEA C3-2012; API Service Classification SN/CF; GM dexos®-2 compliant, VW 502.00/505.00, Mercedes Benz MB 229.31; Porsche A40. Advanced European Performance Mid SAPs SAE 5W-30 is also suitable for use in those applications that specify the use of BMW Long Life-04, MB 229.51, Chrysler MS-11106 and VW 504.00/507.00 quality engine oil at the recommended OEM drain intervals
Schaeffer’s Advanced European Performance Oils
What does all that gibberish have to do with Shaefers 9000 5W50 Racing oil?

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
Heard some good compliments about Schaefer oil either. Nice to hear it works great on you.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Heard some good compliments about Schaefer oil either. Nice to hear it works great on you.
Schaefer's makes a fine product. I'm sure if used in it's correct application it works very well but 5W50 racing oil is and never was designed for use in a TDI diesel engine. Very wrong oil in a VW PDl.

Last edited:

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Since it's a gas motorcycle oil I wonder how much soot it left in the engine compared to a Diesel rated oil.
Probably none since it carries diesel specs (API CF)..... but no matter. When this Beetle reaches 170,000 rather than waste $1300 on timing belt/other maintenance costs...... I intend to junk it or trade it for a different car

Schaeffers 9000:

https://www.schaefferoil.com/full-synthetic-5w40.html

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Probably none since it carries diesel specs (API CF)..... but no matter. When this Beetle reaches 170,000 rather than waste $1300 on timing belt/other maintenance costs...... I intend to junk it or trade it for a different car

Schaeffers 9000:

https://www.schaefferoil.com/full-synthetic-5w40.html

API CF was introduced for the service typical of indirect injection diesel engines, mostly used in off-road applications such as mining and construction. This service category was discontinued on December 30, 2010.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I'm running the Schaeffer's 5W-50 race oil in my track car that has a PD150 engine in it making 286 AWHP and 400 lb-ft of torque and so far I've been extremely happy with how the oil is performing. I feel it provides that little bit of extra protection a high revving PD engine needs to keep things lubricated in the high stress environment the engine sees for 25-30 minutes at a crack.

The true test will be this summer when the temps hit 90-95 degrees on the track in the Midwest. I'll have to do an engine oil analysis at the next oil change.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
When running a track engine, the rules for proper oil viscosity kinda change. You are running very hot. So all you jockeys out there know, our favorite break-in oil is Joe Gibbs 15-50, that we run in all our PD's for a 500 mile break-in..

Also, the fact the 5-50 is not a diesel oil is really no consequence, as most race engines don't go 10,000 miles on a change. the soot concentration becomes a non-issue.

As for Schaeffer's oil, I don't think it's far from reality, that our PD cam kits, with the proper oil, which we think is Schaeffer's 9000 5-40, that Schaeffer's Oil company has noted an increase in usage since we have been promoting it. Our cam success is not because of a single improvement.

Maybe that's not the way some see it. When we are talking oil, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
How many hours or miles will your OCI be?
I plan on doing annual oil changes, since the car will be driven at 6-7 track days and maybe 3,000 miles in total for a year. I wish it was more miles, since it's such an amazing car that would be a blast to drive on a road trip. :D

When running a track engine, the rules for proper oil viscosity kinda change. You are running very hot. So all you jockeys out there know, our favorite break-in oil is Joe Gibbs 15-50, that we run in all our PD's for a 500 mile break-in..

Also, the fact the 5-50 is not a diesel oil is really no consequence, as most race engines don't go 10,000 miles on a change. the soot concentration becomes a non-issue.

As for Schaeffer's oil, I don't think it's far from reality, that our PD cam kits, with the proper oil, which we think is Schaeffer's 9000 5-40, that Schaeffer's Oil company has noted an increase in usage since we have been promoting it. Our cam success is not because of a single improvement.

Maybe that's not the way some see it. When we are talking oil, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
So do you think I can stick with the Schaeffer's 9000 5W50 or could I get away with the Schaeffer's 9000 5W40?

Otherwise here are some other options I've considered in no particular order:
Liqui-Moly Race Tech GT1 10W60
Liqui-Moly Diesel High Tech 5W40
Motul Sport 5W50
Motul 8100 X-Clean 5W40
Motul 8100 X-Power 10W60
Motul 300V Competition 15W50
Motul 300V Power 5W40
AMSOIL Dominator 20W50 Competition Diesel Oil

If there's another oil that isn't listed and you think it would be a good oil for my car, please feel free to post it up.

Sorry about the thread jacking BeetlePD. :(