2012 Passat road noise

EastNC

TDI
2011 Jetta DSG sedan
I had a chance last week to drive our demo unit Passat TDI, a navi kessy car with the DSG. I'm curious if anyone else has driven one? The one I drove has really high road noise, high enough that after a quick drive I drove it straight back to the bay of the tech that did the PDI to check the tire pressure, which were at spec. This car has Hankooks as does my 2011 TDI Jetta; my car is FAR quieter. The tech's comment was something about decontenting to hit the lower price point, just curious if anyone else had a similar experience.

b

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I drove a 2012 Passat TDI and I think the tires do have something to do with it. In comparison if you drive a 2.5 L SE (I also drove this) with the smaller tires, I think you will note less noise. I know that I ever order the new passat with a TDI, I will try to swap out the tires right away as the newer lower profile tires are just simply noisier. Either that or swap out tires to Michelin. My 2 cents.

99Jet

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
The tech's comment was something about decontenting to hit the lower price point, just curious if anyone else had a similar experience.
I drove a 2012 Passat Highline 2.5L which was equipped with 17" Continentals. At lower speeds, I found the road noise to be ok, albeit noisier than the 2010 Passat. At speeds above ~70mph, there was noticeable wind noise from the side mirror and/or A pillar. This to me, is not acceptable.

If something this basic was able to slip into production, I'm left wondering what else might have been overlooked. This has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with design.

I'd be interested to hear feedback from Euro-Passat owners which seem to have different mirrors.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
It seems that Micheal Karesh of True Delta agrees with the wind noise problems everyone else is finding. He reviewed the SE V6 version: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/09/review-2012-volkswagen-passat-v6-se/#more-410087
I did several test drives of the Passat TDI SEL and did notice the road noise. I do not believe its any worse and probably better than other vehicles in this class. I had driven a 2012 Sonata Hybrid immediately prior to testing the 2012 Passat TDI.

I could however barely hear any wind noise because the tire noise was so high. Maybe that's by design.

C&D choose the Passat as number 1 among their previous 2011 10best competitors. Take away from that what you will.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...n_tests/2012_volkswagen_passat_3.6_sel_page_4

ks-tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta
I came to the conclusion after driving a Passat this weekend that along with the noise, I was not that impressed with the ride. Since I have an '09 TDI, my standards are high. The CC may be the way to go as for a nice ride but there is no TDI option.

thegradas

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
The Continentals are very low noise tires. However, many prefer 18" over 16".

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I must not have sensitive ears because I have the cruddy Hankook tires and my Passat seems just fine relative to road noise, the only thing I can hear is a little wind noise over the side view mirrors at 70+ mph, but not bad and I don't think it's any worse than most other vehicles. I think this car is amazing, especially considering the combined mpg's I'm getting(45+)....and fun factor to drive(loving the stick).

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
I must not have sensitive ears because I have the cruddy Hankook tires and my Passat seems just fine relative to road noise, the only thing I can hear is a little wind noise over the side view mirrors at 70+ mph, but not bad and I don't think it's any worse than most other vehicles. I think this car is amazing, especially considering the combined mpg's I'm getting(45+)....and fun factor to drive(loving the stick).
These tires have more problems that just road noise look at the chart from tirerack for traction on anything but dry pavement;

Reviewer from TireRacks experience

"I signed up to this sight too just so I coud echo everyone else. I slid into a curb attmpting a left turn at maybe 4 or 5 mph on a street with no traffic in a moderate snowstorm less than 24 hours afer purchasng my new Kia and driving it off the showroom floor. It was slick out but I'm a defensive driver and have driven long haul tractor trailers in the past without incident. Up until then I hadn't had an insurance claim in nearly 30 years but this collision bent the cross member frame and caused 2000 dollars damage. Really either people should be warned or these tires should be recalled or replaced at Hankook expense."

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surv...ankook&tireModel=Optimo+H426&tirePageLocQty=#

Last edited:

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
These tires have more problems that just road noise look at the chart from tirerack for traction on anything but dry pavement;

Reviewer from TireRacks experience

"I signed up to this sight too just so I coud echo everyone else. I slid into a curb attmpting a left turn at maybe 4 or 5 mph on a street with no traffic in a moderate snowstorm less than 24 hours afer purchasng my new Kia and driving it off the showroom floor. It was slick out but I'm a defensive driver and have driven long haul tractor trailers in the past without incident. Up until then I hadn't had an insurance claim in nearly 30 years but this collision bent the cross member frame and caused 2000 dollars damage. Really either people should be warned or these tires should be recalled or replaced at Hankook expense."
Oh, trust me, I have no doubt they suck, I was just referencing the Passat and noise and noting that even with these cruddy tires the noise is not bad to my ears. Would love to try better tires, but that might not happen for a while.

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
My TDI SEL came with Bridgestone Turanza EL 400.
They feel good and road noise is none.l
My car shows on the door build 8/2011
Maybe VW plant is upgrading tires on these cars already. The SEL TDI that I test drove had the hankook and noticed the noise at that time. I'm in Texas.
I recommend call VW customer care and explains that the car that you bought got the worst tire ever and the road noise is not acceptable under any circumstance and you are not happy with it after paying $$$$ for the car and explains that you want them replace... They will take car of you..VW region corporate manager will follow up with you after you make the formal complaint thru VW customer care number... I know it works because I have called 2 times on my entire life and I have owned 7 VW's and they know it when i called because they see it on their system.. My latest call was this week and the regional Texas VW manager called yesterday to address my problem. However, the problem was not technical this time and was not about the Passat was for the Tiguan but and the end they take care of you most of the time and you got better chances with he Passat since it a new car in the market.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I came to the conclusion after driving a Passat this weekend that along with the noise, I was not that impressed with the ride. Since I have an '09 TDI, my standards are high. The CC may be the way to go as for a nice ride but there is no TDI option.
High standards with the 2009 Jetta? Really? Sorry, but laughing here.

Seriously, you need to drive the 2005 Passat then you know what a real car drives like. The 2009 Jetta is a class below the Passat in handling and ride.

I test drove the 2009 Jetta's and felt every bump and jar and heard every pot hole as it transmitted the bump and noise through the car. The new Passat did NOT do this.

ironpen

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I took my car (TDI SEL) straight to the tire shop and got a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires put on and it made a tremendous difference in road noise. Cost me about $500 for the swap out, but it was worth it. I have no idea why such sorry tires would even be considered from the factory. There can't be that much difference in price to the manufacturer.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
I took my car (TDI SEL) straight to the tire shop and got a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires put on and it made a tremendous difference in road noise. Cost me about $500 for the swap out, but it was worth it. I have no idea why such sorry tires would even be considered from the factory. There can't be that much difference in price to the manufacturer.
I almost bought the DWS, hesitated on reading about tracking and turn-in issues.

How do you like them, see any of the problems I read about?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
The Yokohama Envigors are excellent tires too. I was afraid switching from the Michellin, but wanted the 94H rating and went with the Yoko's. They are better on WET traction than the Michellins.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
got hankooks on my golf....dont see what everyone complains about...guess I am deaf.....sorry Passat lovers but I just cant get myself to love that new Passat....maybe with time...such a big boxy boat....

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
sorry Passat lovers but I just cant get myself to love that new Passat....maybe with time...such a big boxy boat....
Oh, but let me tell you, the Passat is a great car, I did love my Golf but I would not even think about trading the Passat for the Golf now, not a chance. I like the looks of the Passat(even better in person), plus it is much more comfortable for me and the wife, easier to get in and out of, better mpg, and I think it drives better too....no, it isn't as quick as the Golf, or as sporty, but it is a nicer overall ride to me. This is a fantastic car.

wutbürger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 CW Golf 4dr 6mt
Oh, but let me tell you, the Passat is a great car, I did love my Golf but I would not even think about trading the Passat for the Golf now, not a chance. I like the looks of the Passat(even better in person), plus it is much more comfortable for me and the wife, easier to get in and out of, better mpg, and I think it drives better too....no, it isn't as quick as the Golf, or as sporty, but it is a nicer overall ride to me. This is a fantastic car.
As a current Golf owner, I couldn't agree more- the Passat is loads more comfortable for us, the rear seat room is unreal and handy, and I also think it truly does drive better which was something I DID NOT expect- at all. When tossing the Passat through some curves, it felt MUCH more composed with less lean- even if I was sliding out of the leatherette, under-bolstered seats a bit :)

However, I simply can't live without a hatch/wagon configuration given our lifestyle and family needs. If I could live with a sadan, hands down a TDI Passat would be in the driveway compared to the other mid-sizers I've driven (Optima, Sonata, Accord, Camry)

In terms of the road noise- it was a night and day difference to me having driven the TDI SEL Premium (18's) and 2.5SE (17's) with the 17's being MUCH quiter/compliant. However, there was still quite a bit of noticeable wind noise from the A-Pillar/Mirror area that I don't get on my Golf, but it's substantially better than the wind noise from the Jetta. Road noise in general is actually a bit quieter on the Passat than my MKVI Golf which is saying alot- I attribute most of that to a softer suspension and newer tires

Last edited:

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
However, there was still quite a bit of noticeable wind noise from the A-Pillar/Mirror area that I don't get on my Golf
Yep, that is the only noise I notice on mine, not bad and only at higher speeds, but it is there.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
well I guess I just like the size of the golf....but as you say I will watch how this all develops...one thing I would like is a little more metal around me but for the most part I feel pretty safe in the little golf. funny how in Canada the 6 speed Highline Golf is very close to the 6 speed comfortline Passat !! 1200 dollars seperates them.... WOW....must be that NA content and labor !

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
Just got back from signing the financing papers for my pre-order (hooray 1.9% APR). I took notice that the V6 in the showroom had Optimo H426s on it. We'll see what mine has when it comes in next week.

fluidpower11

TDI
2012 passat td- sel
My 1st 1000 miles with the 2012 Passat TDI

1st let me say that my wife and I were beyond frustrated with VWOA. We have owned several VWs over the course of about 35 years. But the delivery of our new 2012 TDI SEL turned very frustrating. We were supposed to get our car at the end of August but had to wait 2-1/2 months before we finally took delivery on Oct 29th. That in and of itself was ridiculous.

So.... now we have 1000 miles on it. Here are some points of note:

1). The acceleration from a stop or while moving is amazing. Compared to our 2005 Passat TDI, the 2012 is a race car.
2). Shifts (automatic) are very smooth and not noticable.
3). Engine vibration is completely gone. The 2005 used to rumble at idle. The 2012 is very, very smooth. You really don't know it is a diesel.
4). Fuel mileage. Can't tell yet. I think it is a little lower than advertised but I am giving it a break-in period.
5). Steering is a little touchy. But.....what bothers me is that my car is pulling to the right. Took it to the dealer who said that they will not fix it for now since the car is so new. They want the suspension to "break in". This will require another trip to the dealer.
6). Stereo seems nice.....but....we just noticed that the rear speake(s) are not working at all (I think I hear a slight buzz). Another trip to the dealer.
7). Wind noise..... Not really much to discuss yet but this is because of the next item.
8). Road noise..... This is the noisiest car I have ever owned. Perhaps a Yugo is noisier but I never owned one. On some road surfaces the inside of the car sounds like being inside a large echo chamber. It's awful. I am VERY disappointed and mad as heck in how noisy and loud my brand new Passat is. I noticed the tires are Hankook Optimo H426's. According to the previous post with the tire graph, the tires are not unacceptable for a car of this quality. Maybe better tires are the cure??

Does anyone (Kchorro?) know how to contact VWOA to express my disappointment.

9). The interior trim is nice and tidy. Plenty of leg room front and back.
10). Key start: Nice feature and works well but I have not yet figured out what would happen if you loose your keys and have to get into (and start)the car (since there is no "key hole"). Do you call Pop-a-Lock?

That's all for now. Can someone help me get in touch with VWOA about the tires and road noise?

Thanks!

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
1st let me say that my wife and I were beyond frustrated with VWOA. We have owned several VWs over the course of about 35 years. But the delivery of our new 2012 TDI SEL turned very frustrating. We were supposed to get our car at the end of August but had to wait 2-1/2 months before we finally took delivery on Oct 29th. That in and of itself was ridiculous.

So.... now we have 1000 miles on it. Here are some points of note:

1). The acceleration from a stop or while moving is amazing. Compared to our 2005 Passat TDI, the 2012 is a race car.
2). Shifts (automatic) are very smooth and not noticable.
3). Engine vibration is completely gone. The 2005 used to rumble at idle. The 2012 is very, very smooth. You really don't know it is a diesel.
4). Fuel mileage. Can't tell yet. I think it is a little lower than advertised but I am giving it a break-in period.
5). Steering is a little touchy. But.....what bothers me is that my car is pulling to the right. Took it to the dealer who said that they will not fix it for now since the car is so new. They want the suspension to "break in". This will require another trip to the dealer.
6). Stereo seems nice.....but....we just noticed that the rear speaker(s) are not working at all (I think I hear a slight buzz). Another trip to the dealer.
7). Wind noise..... Not really much to discuss yet but this is because of the next item.
8). Road noise..... This is the noisiest car I have ever owned. Perhaps a Yugo is noisier but I never owned one. On some road surfaces the inside of the car sounds like being inside a large echo chamber. It's awful. I am VERY disappointed and mad as heck in how noisy and loud my brand new Passat is. I noticed the tires are Hankook Optimo H426's. According to the previous post with the tire graph, the tires are not unacceptable for a car of this quality. Maybe better tires are the cure??

Does anyone (Kchorro?) know how to contact VWOA to express my disappointment.

9). The interior trim is nice and tidy. Plenty of leg room front and back.
10). Key start: Nice feature and works well but I have not yet figured out what would happen if you loose your keys and have to get into (and start)the car (since there is no "key hole"). Do you call Pop-a-Lock?

That's all for now. Can someone help me get in touch with VWOA about the tires and road noise?

Thanks!
First off, good luck with your new Passat. I have almost 3,000 miles on mine and the mileage is better than the EPA guessed at. Highway is in the upper 40's and my overall is 40+. I don't drive it to maximize the economy.
Not quite sure what the tire noise issue is. My car is quieter than my 2009 JSW TDI with the 17'" Continental tires.
If you loose your keys you have the same problem with or without the key less system. I thought key less was a gimmick at first but I am a firm believer now. Would not buy a car with out it.

2500hd2

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat se
I would say my SE DSG is louder in the cabin on the highway than my 06 tdi jetta.
I might be the tires. My Jetta had Michelin primacy's. The passat has the hankooks.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
I would say my SE DSG is louder in the cabin on the highway than my 06 tdi jetta.
I might be the tires. My Jetta had Michelin primacy's. The passat has the hankooks.
Just got back from 100 mile road trip this weekend. Primacy's turn the Passat into a different car, quieter on the inside than my previous Lexus.

2500hd2

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat se
That would be my first swap.
But I can't see myself getting rid of brand new tires..
Plus the cost of the tires after buying the new car.
Thanks for the update.

Just got back from 100 mile road trip this weekend. Primacy's turn the Passat into a different car, quieter on the inside than my previous Lexus.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I've got the Hankook's on mine too, but I don't notice too much noise, I consider this car very quiet.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
That would be my first swap.
But I can't see myself getting rid of brand new tires..
Plus the cost of the tires after buying the new car.
Thanks for the update.
I understand, DT gave me $200.00 for the Hankook trade.