2006 with Tons of Crankcase Pressure and Whistling noise coming from the vent

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Sorry this may be a bit long, but I'll try to be direct. I am considering buying this car.

Car was going down the road and apparently the oil pump broke and the car stopped running so it was towed to mechanic. Mechanic put a new cam sensor in it and also noted that the cam pulley was all the way at the end of adjustment before removing it. He replaced this and it started up. He said that he confirmed the lack of oil pressure and also replaced the oil pump.

Now the car cranks and idles. I had it running with the turbo inlet tube removed so the MAF was plugged in but with no air flow over it. It idles alright, but will only rev to 1100 RPM or so. The nipple on the rear driver corner of the valve cover has a ton of air coming out and a very loud whistling/screaming noise. Think like turbo whistle but louder. When the vent is covered the noise stops but it builds more pressure. The noise instantly resumes when you remove your hand and release the pressure.

It also has a P1475 code that set. It had 3 others I saved but those did not set after being cleared. I can post them up shortly.

The torsion value was -2.0

And ideas what is going on here?

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Easy. Buy a different car. This one has poor workmanship written all over it by the sounds of it. Run away.

Mochaman

TDI
06 Jetta
Multiple Reasons for Blowby

I'll assume since you have a sig line with modifications you know your way around a diesel engine. Furthermore, diesel engines as a whole produce more blowby than a comparable gas engine. With that being said...

Is it possible the prior owner used ether on the motor? Damaged pistons or rings can cause excessive blowby.
Valve guides excessively worn through neglect or high mileage is another.
Either way excessive blowby usually requires gaskets and parts replacement to solve. If the car is a sweet deal add 500 to 1500 to the price in parts.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I dont think he used ether on it, but I'll ask him.

He seemed to care reasonable well for it and has records for the car.

I'll keep that is mind. I was hoping there may be an issue with the CCV systems on these cars, but its seeming like its going to have engine issues.

Mochaman

TDI
06 Jetta
I'm not saying he did. However, people will do what has traditionally worked for them, sometimes with devastating effects. Many people would use ether because it worked on their diesel tractor...or, just like the 7.3 liter powerstrokes that were erroneously labeled junk when they first came out, it was later revealed that owners were using the wrong oil. For the 7.3 once the oil foamed the skirt coolers could only spit on the bottom of the piston and the motor would gleefully rip the top of the piston off as the cylinders overheated. Not to mention it would also jack with the injection system that used oil pressure to operate correctly. People do this stuff because it traditionally worked in their tractor or other previous diesel engine they owned.

No matter, if the blowby is excessive do a cylinder pressure check. It would be my next step. Maybe, its as simple as valve seals...but I doubt it.

I hope you get it figured out...good luck!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If it lost oil pressure, the turbo is probably shot.

The crankcase breather cannot really be "checked" accurately while the engine is at idle. The scavenging occurs as the air flow at right angles to the breather tube pulls a negative pressure on the regulating valve in the valve cover.

There must me more to this story, as the BRM's oil pump is not something that suddenly quits.

P1475 refers to a part of a system that car does not even have, so no idea where that came from.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
The turbo still spins. Its hard to get my fingers in there, but it does seem to have a little more friction than usual.

Would a bad turbo cause the car to have excess pressure coming out?

I was thinking the same thing about these not being a common failure. The oil pump was broken according to the tech though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Since I would not normally run the engine that way, since it is not designed to operate that way, I really cannot say what you are experiencing.

I would put it all back together the way it is supposed to be, and drive the car and see how it runs.

Mochaman

TDI
06 Jetta
I wonder if you are experiencing high exhaust backpressure? Is something blocking your exhaust?

By chance did your turbo ingest oil and block the cat?

Last edited: