VW Canada Settlement - $2.1 Billion

HPower

TDI
2015 Golf
I leased my 2015 Golf Highline in Dec. 2014 and opted for 16,000km per year to keep my payments down.
My plan was do buy the car at end of my lease, so I was not concerned about my total kms.
Looking at my options now, I am behind the 8-ball as I already have 110,000 clicks on the dial, which translated to about $6700 in milage penalty.
Since I love to drive this car, especially after test driving a 2017 1.8 TSI, I figured I would just take the $3500 and continue to enjoy the TDI.
Then... 2 days ago I had the oil changed and we discovered that my AdBlue line was leaking at the injector, AGAIN!
I say again, because in the 1st year with this car it was in the shop at least 6 times with low AdBlue levels.
Mine was one of "those cars"!
But for the last year I have had zero AdBlue issues and nothing but happy motoring.
Now with my AdBlue issues resurfacing, I have flipped my mind, and would like nothing more than to some how get out of this car.
If I can talk VW into doing something to get out of the lease without a beating on my milage I would look into a GTI which I also test drove a few weeks ago.
Otherwise I will probably look at getting back into a Honda.
Prior to my TDI I was a Honda guy with 6 new Hondas over 24 years.
My TDI has been in the shop more than all 6 of the Hondas put together.
This is hard for me to say as I really do love how my Golf drives. :(

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Owning a 'made on Friday/Monday' car sometimes isn't a very good place to end up and that sounds like what you have. I suppose there is enough road time with the 2015-2017 VW gas models to confirm them as reliable, even though they were made throughout dieselgate revelations.

One rolls the dice and takes a chance hoping any new car is reliable, and let's face it for the most part they are, given the usual niggles. That said, I certainly wouldn't be lining up for any of the 2018 models given the significantly more intense atmosphere under which they were built....and a slew of new designs. No beta testing here, thank you.

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Talking abput ****ing incompetent

We have reviewed the documents you submitted as part of your claim with reference number XXXXXX. Currently, your document package does not include all of the information that is necessary to determine whether you are eligible to participate in the Volkswagen/Audi 2.0-Litre TDI Emissions Settlement Program in Canada.
The following document(s) require action and the reason they require action has been provided:

• Proof of Purchase - VIN does not match
All I know is that the VIN on the registration / ownership which is "the legal document" of ownership matches the VIN plate on the vehicle.

What the the puck "does not match". Talk about stalling tactics!!!!!!!

As the original owner of this VW from day one which is on your effing records, what more do you need.

I wasn't sour before, but I am now. VW, you lost me for life. GFY.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
All I know is that the VIN on the registration / ownership which is "the legal document" of ownership matches the VIN plate on the vehicle.

What the the puck "does not match". Talk about stalling tactics!!!!!!!

As the original owner of this VW from day one which is on your effing records, what more do you need.

I wasn't sour before, but I am now. VW, you lost me for life. GFY.
Give Ricepoint a call at the number listed several posts above and ask for Lena. She is very helpful and should be able to solve your issue.

I agree the process is less than friendly but you need to get through it asap....or the pain just continues to increase. My dealer tells me they expect the first offers to go out today.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
VW- What a screw-up

Asked to go to the Claims Portal...

What else is new? :rolleyes: Laughable, but I sure am enjoying my new 2017 Acura RDX Elite.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Give Ricepoint a call at the number listed several posts above and ask for Lena. She is very helpful and should be able to solve your issue.

I agree the process is less than friendly but you need to get through it asap....or the pain just continues to increase. My dealer tells me they expect the first offers to go out today.

I am on the phone with these INCOMPETENT IDIOTS at this very moment.

If it gets any worse, I will just drive my effing VW right through the front door of VW Canada.

I got better things to do than be on hold for hours!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I submitted by parents Audi A3 on Tuesday with no issue. Took about 20 min to do including all the time it took to upload pics of DL, Ownership, Bill of Sale.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I submitted by parents Audi A3 on Tuesday with no issue. Took about 20 min to do including all the time it took to upload pics of DL, Ownership, Bill of Sale.
I signed on the Saturday the 29th.

It appears that you cannot Log In once your forms are submitted. Each time thereafter that I needed to Log In, the administrator unlocked my account and put it back a step or two so that I can resubmit forms.

They have all of mine in hi-resolution and they confirmed it.

But the VW dealer failed to put a VIN on the sales document back in 2013.

They accepted the Eff Date on my ownership which is 2013-10-21, the day I picked up my new TDI.

I can't wait till this is all over and I am referring to the extremely poorly executed process, not the car.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I signed on the Saturday the 29th.

It appears that you cannot Log In once your forms are submitted. Each time thereafter that I needed to Log In, the administrator unlocked my account and put it back a step or two so that I can resubmit forms.

They have all of mine in hi-resolution and they confirmed it.

But the VW dealer failed to put a VIN on the sales document back in 2013.

They accepted the Eff Date on my ownership which is 2013-10-21, the day I picked up my new TDI.

I can't wait till this is all over and I am referring to the extremely poorly executed process, not the car.
I feel your pain especially if errors were committed by others and not you. It was a no brainier for my parents to have the car bought back. They are getting $28.7 back..........basically it cost them only $13.3 over 6 years of ownership.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well I just did the online Claims Portal for the settlement. So now I guess I'll have to wait to see what happens. Maybe when I'm due in about a month for my next oil change the dealer may have some info for me.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
One of the truly lucky ones.....at least some people haven't wasted days on this.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I am on the phone with these INCOMPETENT IDIOTS at this very moment.

If it gets any worse, I will just drive my effing VW right through the front door of VW Canada.

I got better things to do than be on hold for hours!!!!!!!!!!
This is where some goodwill at the dealership level will be of great value. I would also like to see some recognition for the unused portion of the $500 parts and service card I never used, but hey....

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I feel your pain especially if errors were committed by others and not you. It was a no brainier for my parents to have the car bought back. They are getting $28.7 back..........basically it cost them only $13.3 over 6 years of ownership.
Not that I need it now, but the dealer gave me a copy of my sales contract from back in October 2013. I even saw the original with my signature in blue ink. They forgot to give me the final invoice; all I had was the offer to purchase. Got it in 15 minutes.

The dealer is great; sales and service (warranty, since I do all my own servicing).

I asked what will happen to my car. They did not know. Too bad because my car is absolutely MINT inside and out and has a mere 41,XXX kilometers on it. It would be a perfect buy for someone.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Not that I need it now, but the dealer gave me a copy of my sales contract from back in October 2013. I even saw the original with my signature in blue ink. They forgot to give me the final invoice; all I had was the offer to purchase. Got it in 15 minutes.

The dealer is great; sales and service (warranty, since I do all my own servicing).

I asked what will happen to my car. They did not know. Too bad because my car is absolutely MINT inside and out and has a mere 41,XXX kilometers on it. It would be a perfect buy for someone.
I had a mint car once.....didn't really like that colour.

Last edited:

disisme

TDI
Well I just did the online Claims Portal for the settlement. So now I guess I'll have to wait to see what happens. Maybe when I'm due in about a month for my next oil change the dealer may have some info for me.
If your signature shows correct and you have the 2015 tdi passat highline ( nice car ) why not just take the fix?

waynec

TDI
2011 Jetta highline
I have submitted my bill of sale from the dealer 4 times, same copy very time, comes back illegible, sent it again Friday and its has been accepted go figure! This whole process has been a nightmare, not very well executed. Put a deposit on a car last Saturday, on the way home the engine light comes on, scanned it P2015 code , phoned dealer appointment on thurs the 18th, for the code and service, warranty is up on the 20th, they tried to tell it wasn't covered, after argueing for 15 mins they check, oh sorry sir yes it is covered, priceless, bottom line fix it, its mine tell a check is in my hand.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Has anyone completed the Claims and received an Offer from VW yet?
My dealer in SK said they received an offer on Friday with an appointment for May 25, so it appears the process has finally begun. He also said they have met the Claims Administrator and expect things to proceed apace in the coming weeks.

I'm glad to already have a new car on hold......can hardly imagine the PITA that day would be to hand off one car and find a suitable alternate. They say the transaction comes down to a formality of signatures, but the actual payment comes in the form of a personal cheque to the owner. Thus a trip to the bank, presumably in a courtesy vehicle, will be required mid stage for those not possessed with suitably deep pockets to complete their deal. The fun never ends.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
If your signature shows correct and you have the 2015 tdi passat highline ( nice car ) why not just take the fix?
Sorry, but I never did imply I want to get rid of the car. It is a big improvement over the 2002 Jetta I had. I'm suggesting that maybe with the oil-change they do the fix.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
More Claims Portal Incompetence

Lord, these people at the Claims Portal really are incompetent. So incompetent, they could slide right into positions in the Federal Government.

Last week I get an e-mail stating "Proof of Purchase - VIN does not match". There was no VIN on my Offer To Purchase document.

So I call and speak to a supervisor at the Claims Portal. He says to upload my Ownership in place of my Bill of Sale and states he will add a comment on file.

So today I get another e-mail, this time with "Proof of Purchase - Incorrect document". Effing incredible! Good thing I went to my dealer later that day and got the official Purchase Agreement that they failed to give me back in 2013, just in case I needed it.

I'm enjoying my new Acura RDX so much more now considering all this VW BS.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
It is BS for sure. I hear people with warranty's on their present cars can not carry over their warranty over to a 2015 if they buy a 2015 TDI or for that matter even if they get a brand new gasser.
Talking with someone on changing over the 09's to 14's would cost some $12,500 for VW to make them compliant, and to meet emissions standard in Ontario here.
They should be giving $12,500 dollars minimum here plus the top up of $5100.
In fact buy back our cars at the full purchase price in the year they where purchased.
In the case of people who bought extended warranties give them a full refund or at the very least even pro rated.
Lets face it VW are a bunch of shysters and we keep buying their products even after they have stuck it to us where the sun don't shine more then once at that.
As smart as the human race may be we sure don't seem to be at times and this is one of them for sure.
As a company they sure are showing their truce colours.

Last edited:

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Appointment booked online today. Heading back on June 3rd. It will be a sad day as the car is perfect with no issues. If only they had a fix for Gen 1 cars, it would be a perfect buy-back vehicle.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
It is BS for sure. I hear people with warranty's on their present cars can not carry over their warranty over to a 2015 if they buy a 2015 TDI or for that matter even if they get a brand new gasser.
Talking with someone on changing over the 09's to 14's would cost some $12,500 for VW to make them compliant, and to meet emissions standard in Ontario here.
They should be giving $12,500 dollars minimum here plus the top up of $5100.
In fact buy back our cars at the full purchase price in the year they where purchased.
In the case of people who bought extended warranties give them a full refund or at the very least even pro rated.
Lets face it VW are a bunch of shysters and we keep buying their products even after they have stuck it to us where the sun don't shine more then once at that.
As smart as the human race may be we sure don't seem to be at times and this is one of them for sure.
As a company they sure are showing their truce colours.
[FONT=&quot]It's a crooked industry, the tortured legacy of shoving products to desperately sustain a failing energy production policy. This isn't intended as a blanket condemnation of oil based energy, but is certainly a devastating criticism of the incredibly slow uptake of[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] obviously [/FONT]superior [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot](and often less expensive) [/FONT]technology by these oil addicted crack-corporations. Te[FONT=&quot]sla recently released into the public domain the patents [FONT=&quot]of a multi-million [/FONT][/FONT]dollar R&D program [FONT=&quot]for what is [FONT=&quot]w[/FONT]idely considered to be the best electric technology available. Hello[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]...

A company whose current product line is greater than 50% oil-centric ha[FONT=&quot]s[/FONT] their head deep in the sand....[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot]hail[/FONT] storm [FONT=&quot]approach[FONT=&quot]ing.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My upcoming trade-[FONT=&quot]up[/FONT] to a [FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]17 GSW is the last internal combustion vehicle I will buy. When it is due for replacement Tesla and others will have radically and forever altered the energy landscape of the planet. More power to them. And before you choose to criticize the [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]inherent shortcomings of [/FONT]electric cars, refresh your perspective with this axiom: Pioneers get the arrows, settlers get the land.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Appointment booked online today. Heading back on June 3rd. It will be a sad day as the car is perfect with no issues. If only they had a fix for Gen 1 cars, it would be a perfect buy-back vehicle.
Yes, a sad day indeed. It is also too bad Ontario cars are so difficult to certify in other provinces.....just makes relocating them undesirable or even impossible.

Curious on how your appointment process unfolded... did you first receive notice through the claim portal, by phone, by email? Also wondering what time of day you were notified. I keep checking but there hasn't been a change in my portal page for more than a week now.

Last edited:

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Yes, a sad day indeed. It is also too bad Ontario cars are so difficult to certify in other provinces.....just makes relocating them undesirable or even impossible.

Curious on how your appointment process unfolded... did you first receive notice through the claim portal, by phone, by email? Also wondering what time of day you were notified. I keep checking but there hasn't been a change in my portal page for more than a week now.
Received email confirmation that the signed Buyback paperwork was accepted and everything is in order. Advised to logon portal to select available return date. Through the portal I selected a day in June we wished to return the car. There was a note stating that a Audi rep would call to confirm the date and also mileage on the car. Next day rep called. Confirmed the return date appointment and we had to advise of exact mileage on the car. Pretty much that's it. Now we have to wait till June 3rd.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Received email confirmation that the signed Buyback paperwork was accepted and everything is in order. Advised to logon portal to select available return date. Through the portal I selected a day in June we wished to return the car. There was a note stating that a Audi rep would call to confirm the date and also mileage on the car. Next day rep called. Confirmed the return date appointment and we had to advise of exact mileage on the car. Pretty much that's it. Now we have to wait till June 3rd.
Good to know, thank you for the info. Are you planning on trading up?

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Thanks for the info, what year is you parents TDI? I have opted for buyback as well, on the portal its telling me documents received all in order but have not received any emails since, its been over a week now. How long did it take you guys to get the notification after submitting the paper work?

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Thanks for the info, what year is you parents TDI? I have opted for buyback as well, on the portal its telling me documents received all in order but have not received any emails since, its been over a week now. How long did it take you guys to get the notification after submitting the paper work?
2011 A3 TDi. We heard back in 24 hours once submitted. Maybe the volume is substantially lower for Audi compared to VW.