'99 Audi A4Q/2.0TDI Conversion

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
shortysclimbin said:
Very Very nice! With all these cool tdi swaps going on now Its hard to focus on my project! ;) I would like to make a few suggestions/ ideas if you dont already know this... But I would suggest replacing that pump from the AWIC kit with something a little bit more stout. I would also suggest about a 3 gallon spare water tank for daily driving. Other than that It looks great! I really like how the car will look oem from the clean install parts.
Thanks. :) LOL I have trouble focusing on mine too. :p I had not looked at the resevoir tank size yet so I appreciate your input on that. I have a friend that works in the medigass industry and should be able to get a nice stainless steel canistor for this use. As for the pump, are you thinking that the GPM rate of that pump is a bit low? I was just debating this with a friend yesterday ( I am a bit concerned about the seals on it too). I have bosch coolant pump here, but that one is may be a bit to big. I will have to dig it out and take anouther look at it. IIRC it had 1" fittings on it. I was thinking I might install the one from the kit first and hook up two thermocoulpes to monitor the delta T I am getting through the AWIC.
I you have any other comments and suggestions, feel free to leave them.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Injured my lower back this week..so what should of been good prgress this week has turned into a snales pace.

I picked up the turbo adapter plate on Wednesday. Ended up getting done in a conventional machine shop, rather than the CNC route. I was able to stand for a few hours today, so I took that opportunity to do some die grinding of the exhaust manifold and adpater plate.

Here is the Exhaust Manifold and adapter plate prior to die grinding. The yellow is the area to be removed and blended.

Here the blending is almost done. Before finishing the transition, I need to remove adapter and fit to turbo again to ensure a smooth transition. I should not have to touch the turbo housing.

This is a top view of the manifold and adpater. The stainless EGR blank off plate can also be seen here, but needs clean-up yet.

Here are a few other parts, all 316 stainless, but need clean-up yet. On the left is the EGR blank off plate that will go on the intake manifold. To the right is the adapter plate that replaces the shudder valve assembly with a 2" nipple. Top of pic is the future intake nipple, yet to get a barb machined onto the end and welded up to the plate.

If I am feeling good enough, I hope to get the intercooler and turbo mounted by late tomorrow or Monday.I can then also get the map sensor pocket located and fit.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Time to hyjack my own thread. Spent the last 7 days (less work) swapping an AHU into my syncro wagon. This is a transplant job from my written off syncro sedan AHU. Most was just a swap over. Cleaned up the wiring better. Went back to a G60 rad, instead of the 16V set-up in the sedan. Also replaced the angle drive unit driving the rear drive shaft, and covered off some other maintenace issues.

This is the G60 ready to be pulled.

Here is the down pipe I made when previously installed. Nice thing about it is I can install engine with it bolted on. :)

AHU sitting in new home and tested with VAG-COM and short warm up.:D

So just have to get safety inspection next week and the wagon should be on road. That means I can get serious in my Audi project - ie - engine removal next coming weekend. :D

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Took an hour last night to make a minor mod to the turbo. The factory bearing cartriage/exhaust housing on the GT2056V was pined in a position that was not favorable for the BHW oil lines nor for actuator location and discharge location.

You can see the angle relationship between the exhaust flange and compressor discharge in this pic.

I wanted to be able to re-clock this without having to play around with the actuator adjustment/rod length.

You can see the factory pin hole location in this pic.

I made up a template with 13 marks. These are the possable indexing locations available. I transfered two of them onto the turbo exhaust housing and drilled with 3/32" dia holes.

New holes shown here. These index 27.7 deg on the first and 55.4 deg on the second. I ended up using the first hole (27.7 deg), as it was almost a perfect location.

In this pic, you can see the new relationship of compressor housing and exhaust housing. The oil feed fittings and oil return fittings are now directly at the top and bottom locations, respectivley. The OEM oil feed line will just need a bit of manipulation to fit. The return line will need a striaght 1" long section added to the very end where the flange is.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
EDIT - I called ECS Tunning. Crank/Flywheel Bolt torque rating is 60Nm + 1/4 turn.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Did final installation of turbo today. The slow drawn out planning and waiting for bits and pieces made an easy install.

Here you can see the stainless EGR blank off plates, oil feed line (just reworked the OEM line), weld flange and v-clamp on exhaust outlet. The outlet on this turbo is 2 1/4". I will make a cone to expand to 3" immediately after the turbo.

With re-clocking the turbo I had a choice between just a vertical extension to the oil line or the use of a spacer. I choose to get a stainless spacer cut (water jet cut) to extend the reach of the OEM oil return line.

As you can see in this pic, it made a nice clean install.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Also Installed the ECS flywheel.

RS4 Pressure Plate and Clutch

Replaced seals on tranny Input Shaft

Pulled CV flanges to replace with the DWM flanges, and replace seals.

Did a test fit with tranny, starter, clutch assembly and engine. While I was doing this I realized I had not picked up a pilot bearing yet. Nor did I have the shroud that goes between the flywheel and engine..so I will have to pull off the flywheel and then reinstall. :rolleyes:

You can see in the pics the dual bolt pattern (2 or 3 variations) that the bell housing has for a variety of engine options. Everything lined up good.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Got going on the engine removal today. Took the exhaust system of first. Everything was in such good shape. All the exhaust bolts and hanger bolts came off with minimal effort. I was very impressed with the design and quality of every bracket, bolt, etc.
After the exhaust was off, I removed the CV's, pulled the wire harness from the ECU and removed a bunch of other smaller items.
I then dropped the sub frame about 3" so I could pull the engine and tranny together in one shot.

Anyways, my goal was to have the engine pulled by the end of the day, and I got her done by 7:00PM, so I am happy with that. Now I have to jump back on some house renovations for a couple days, then back to the BHW engine/tranny assembly and install in the weekend. I can see a small list of items I will have to pick up to make things fit. (such as A/C lines and steering pump lines, different heater hose lines?) These minor things may trip me up a bit on progress as it would be a pain in the ass to change out some of these things after the BHW is installed.

Oh, I also went out to a local wrecker yesterday and pulled some ALH wire harness stuff I needed. I will post a few pics on that tomorrow.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Finished the tranny CV flange change out today. Installed the bell housing/engine shroud I was missing, and assembled the tranny and BHW together.

I also got the engine in the A4 with the motor mounts bolted down and one CV axle on. Fitting the engine in was a bit of a problem with the larger turbo. I had to pull it out about 4 times and finally ended up adjusting the frame rail a bit and shimming the passanger motor mount. This gave me exhaust housing clearance from the frame rail. The starter cable will need a new route.
The ARL wire harness is going to be a bit messy for routing as it is completly in the wrong orientation for the ECU plenum on the A4. :( I will have to do something custom with the heater hoses. I will take one more day this weekend to work through some of these issues.

Sorry no pics tonight, I can not get the wifes camera to communicate with my computer right now. :confused:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
OK, got the pics off. It was dark last night, so I am going to retake some of them. Here are a few teasers. I will fill in the rest later, as I don't have time right now.

EDIT - I used the V6 engine mounts. They worked good. It took some wriggiling to fit it in the first time. Scratched the paint in a few places..erg. :) Any ways, happy it in there. I had to do some frame rail adjustments and relocation of starter wiring to provide clearance for the larger turbo. I also shimmed the passanger side about 1/4". CV's, rear drive shaft, shifter linkage etc is all hooked up at this point.

Last edited:

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
I would almost think you would want a different intake on that? I dont have one to swap with you but maybe someone here might be able to help you out. It just looks like piping will be a pita otherwise. Did you fit new injectors in it yet btw? ;) She is looking good and you are moving well on it.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Scott_DeWitt said:
That sure does look purtey!
Thanks Scott. :D I should make some good progress this weekend..the next batch of misc parts are pretty much all lined up now.

I have not had an easy time trying to find a used 1.8T power steering hose. I overlooked that one. Today I had my 2.8V6 one modified at a hydraulic shop. Lot less money and one day turn around.

Any tips on installing the pressure side hose?? It was miserable to remove. 10deg/turn in a blind hole with a box wrench.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
shortysclimbin said:
I would almost think you would want a different intake on that? I dont have one to swap with you but maybe someone here might be able to help you out. It just looks like piping will be a pita otherwise. Did you fit new injectors in it yet btw? ;) She is looking good and you are moving well on it.
thanks. I think the intake will be good. It may look better when you see where the AWIC will be mounted, it is just a 180deg reducer turn from the AWIC outlet into the intake nipple. However, I am thinking of replacing it in the future to create a cleaner look.
The injectors? ;) Well, for now they will stay stock. From what I understand, they are the same part number as the PD150 units so should work good for my purpose.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
OK, had a good solid weekend working on the car. I will get all my pics posted in order, and fill out descriptions over the next few days.

The wiring harnesses, coming from a Jetta/Bora, transverse engine mount had all the right wire codes and connectors, but everything was either too long, too short, or grouped together wrong. To make a clean install, the harnesses would have to be completely split apart and modified.

40 Pin Engine Harness Mods in progress.

Here the 80 pin chassis harness is starting to get reworked.

The engine harness rework is mainly done here. There is a small sprout of wires that will go into the cab, but some will have no connection anywhere. I am still trying to figure some of these out....for a later post.

The 80 pin chassis harness mods in progress. You can see the EGR and flap solenoids which will be mounted as dummies in the plenum.

The engine and chassis harness mostly complete on the engine bay side. Lots to go on the cab side yet.

This is a pic of the V6 core support and front engine mount.

This is a shot of the V6 core support, the V6 engine front mount and the 1.8T front engine mount. The 1.8T cross mount is much thicker and will not fit the V6 core support, as it is. The option here is to buy a 1.8T core support or modify the V6 core support.

I decided to modify my V6 core support, as I have spent way too much money on misc parts already. The first mod is to cut a clearance in the fan shroud for the acc. belts. There is also some shaving required for A/C pump pulley clearance, including the removal and replacement of the bottom arm of the secondary electric fan assembly.

Too fit the 1.8T engine mount to the V6 core support, the bottom of the core support will need to be trimmed along the yellow line. There also needed to be a bit of hammer massaging of the cross tube.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
next set of pics from today.

Due to cost and time constraints, I could not get a 1.8T power steering hose in my hands. I missed this one in my pre-planning. I decided to make my own custom hose assembly up. You can see the bits I salvaged from the existing hose with a new hydraulic hose assembly. There are 3/8" od tube extensions brazed onto the metric metal lines. This allows me to use standard hydraulic fittings. Cost of a 1.8T hose - 350.00. Cost for this set-up - $21.50.

Here you can see the custom power steering hose installed.

There was a lot of clean-up today. I decided to do a mock set-up with the AWIC to see if it is going to work the way I planned. This will also give me the opportunity to see what other items I may need to make/buy and where to locate my MAP sensor boss.

Was glad to see the hood closes without any issues. The hood insulation pushes a bit on the very front edge of the timing belt cover, but not enough to be concerned.

This is how the day ended. Just a nice pic. I think things are looking pretty good. :)

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Rexking414 said:
Did you figure out a way for the instrument cluster yet?
BTW, Very nice work! :)
Thanks, I am pretty happy with how it has been progressing.

Some of the stuff with the instrument cluster is figured out. I will blunder through the rest of it. I did test the cluster by cutting the link from the ECU to the cluster prior to starting the engine removal. The mpg reading went all wonky but there were no alarms, and the other readouts were not effected. The RPM sensor is on the tranny and reads the flywheel, so I am hoping I can get the OEM guage to work.

The main problem I am having right now is that my Audi A4 AHA wire schamtic does not match what is actually there. It must be related to the build date. I was looking at the literature on my car and it had a 11/98 build date, and there was a switch in diagrams on 01/99. If you have any info for my build date at your finger tips, I would love to see it. :)

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
What I'd like to hear is a sound clip of your motor once its together as you've modded the oil pump chain assembly...

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
leicaman said:
What I'd like to hear is a sound clip of your motor once its together as you've modded the oil pump chain assembly...
Yes, I will do that. I am curious to see what the vibration will be like too. It will take me a couple more weeks for the first start. (Mainly because next weekend is the wife's list. ;) )

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
That is looking good. I installed the ARL PD150 in my 99.5 Jetta. I know what you are going thru. I upgraded to 121pin immo3, installed the big PD150 intercooler, and had to run all the radiator, PS, AC, IC, and heater core stuff unique. I ended up with an A3 fan support, and 450W passat fans, cuz it was so tight. I am intimate with every pin and signal in that car front to back.

Everything is done up front with the engine and euro cluster and all the subsystems work as the engineers intended. The 6spd is awesome, and the car puts out about 225hp (6000rpm tune) smoke free!

My next job is to install the 4 motion. I got the whole Bora sport car except I didn't get the trunk pans since it was a twisted wreck.

Can't wait to see your finished product. I took pics, but never had the time to post anything. Thanks for including us in your daily grind ;-)

Jeff

btw, I also got a 2000 Passat wagon project that I want to install a 2.0L PD with 6 speed, (no 4motion). I love how the passat drives and carries all my junk, even with the 225hp 1.8T, it gets 30 mpgs ;-0

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Thanks for stopping in Jeff, I appreciate your comments. You’re a busy guy..no shortage of projects, ey? ;) That is going to be one sweet Jetta!

It is hard to find time for posting pics and writing the descriptions, not to mention forgetting all the many challenges that may come up during a day of installation. The thread seems to have a lot of views, but there has not been too many posts by other members so I have been wondering if it is not that interesting or if the information is not layed out very well.

Your understanding of VW/Audi electrical systems is way beyond mine. I would like to get all the subsystems working as well, but I know it will start turning into a struggle as I get through the easier stuff. I am still trying to identify Circuit 86, from an earlier posting by MoGolf. :rolleyes: It sounded so obvious to him and I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I can’t identify it. :eek: I must be missing something obvious, but I am not sure what.

Are you thinking of installing a BKD or a BHW in that Passat?

Anyways, I am out for the night, got a get an early start on my real job tomorrow. :)

Last edited:

caddytd

Veteran Member
TDI
81 CaddyTD Baby Blue
Nice work on the progress thus far...I bet you're getting stoked about getting it all buttoned up.

I remember switching the pressure side line when we did the V6 TDI swap (TDI line was different than the gasser one). What a monumental pain. The space is very tight and you need gnome hands to get in there. Thankfully we discovered this had to be done when the engine was still out. I'm definitely not looking forward to replacing that line if it ever starts leaking on me.

Have you looked at A/C lines yet? My V6 swap didn't come with all the lines that I needed and we ended up being very creative with a mix of Audi / VW lines to make everything work. I believe I used the gasser line for the one (bent to clear everything) and the TDI one for the other line that crosses near the back of the oil pan. Ungh.

As far as the wiring harness / diagrams. I maybe able to help you. I might be able to look up your specific donor vin / engine combination and get a more accurate diagram. PM me with details if you'd like... I'll do what I can.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
caddytd said:
...I bet you're getting stoked about getting it all buttoned up..
yes..very stoked :D

caddytd said:
I remember switching the pressure side line when we did the V6 TDI swap (TDI line was different than the gasser one). What a monumental pain. ..
it was a rediculous job. I did not realize until after the engine was in. I laid on top of the engine fidling in that tinny hole, blindly..I am not going to say how long. :eek: I end up practicing threading the banjo bolt in and out with out the line on it, multiple times so I could then get the feel of the angle etc. :mad: I was then able to get it in with the line on.

caddytd said:
Have you looked at A/C lines yet? ..
I used a 1.8T compressor and lines, it all bolted up with no problems. :cool:

caddytd said:
As far as the wiring harness / diagrams. I maybe able to help you. I might be able to look up your specific donor vin / engine combination and get a more accurate diagram. PM me with details if you'd like... I'll do what I can.
I appreciate the offer. I think somebody is looking it up for me right now...but if that falls through I will PM you.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Just a short update on the project...no pics tonight.

Tonight I built a bracket for the TPS and pedal. The Audi pedal box was not set-up very well for this assembly. I had to fabricate an adapter to go from 3 bolt mount on pedal to large slot aluminum bracket. All very bizzar angles. There is about 1 mm clearance on each side of it (brake pedal arm & HVAC mounting bracket assembly), but no binding or grinding so its good. :)

The wiring is 90% done. What do I have left for wiring?

- engine glow plug relay and relay harness. I all ready built the custom GB boots, wire harness, and fused circuit so it will be a 15min job to finish this.
- Climatronic Module Tie-In - 3 wires to go
- general wire clean-up
- EGT probe wires, gauge itself is mounted and has power feeds. Picked up a red LED to match the Audi dash lights. Put a resistor in line to drop the brightness of the LED as it was blinding.
- cruise control wiring...oyy :confused: not sure where that is going yet. Need to tie in the Jetta A4 harness with the Audi Stalk.
- VAG test for codes

thats it for electrical..out side of mixing wires up. :( hopefully not. It will be interesting to see what the RPM signal does.

For Mechanical:
- fuel system is done and purged with diesel. It's running at around 7-8 psi
-Started the mouting frame for the AWIC. The concept and basic geometery seems good, so it will be a couple more hours to finish that.
- installed coolant circulating heater..need to make mounting bracket yet.
- filled with coolant but thermostat housing is leaking so need to get different gasket or something. I had a feeling that VW gave me the wrong parts there.
- need to drill and tap hole in EGT blank off plate for probe.
- install air filter - ordered an AEM Dryflow conical today, should be in on Friday or Monday
- fab turbo down pipe
- adjust subframe alignment
- install front bumper & tires
- mount the Jetta A4 clutch and brake switches for cruize to work

I think thats about it. Probably 3 days of work in total. So should get my first start soon. :D

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
for the Passat B5.5 owners..

A couple members had pondered using the factory EGT probe with a gauge. I tested that theory today. It does not work. It shows min temp no matter how hot it gets.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Hey and put a digital camera in movie mode on a tripod and have it rolling when the first start attepmt happens. We all want to hear.