VNT 1Z to ahu convert

Roller68

TDI
Gold3 tdi
Hello. i have a Golf 1Z from 1998 and what to convert to vnt.i got a complete ahu vnt engine for getting all the stuff from.can i put AFN software into my GG box in my golf mk3 or do i need a another box?. anyone got box nr to use and exact with software to put in the box.I cant se a complete information about box nr and software version for makeing this work.The hardware change is easy.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i am very confused.
You want to swap turbos into your 1z with a turbo from a AHU and you need new software?

there is so much conflicting information.
first off, AHU is a 1Z, isnt it?2nd off im not aware that the AHU came with a vtn turbo on any cars. 3rd there is no software swap, boost is boost, its all controlled by waste gate and turbo pressure or vacuum control from the n75

what is a gold3 TDI?

why are you changing your turbo? a vtn stock is not an improvement to a K03. its a sideways move with more complexity as your going from boost control to vacuum control. Upgrade your tubro with something better or are you replacing a failing turbo? why do you think its bad in that case?

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Do you mean convert 1Z to AFN to use the VNT turbo? Like Mongler said, 1Z=AHU - both wastegate turbo.

Yes, you can do that if you use AFN software and AFN N75 valve. 028906021GG AHU ecu will probably take AFN software, but its easier to just swap to an AFN ecu (like 026906021GH). I have one with immo off and tuning which you can have cheap :) MSA15 is plug and play with the immo anyway, if you have a matched key and VCDS.

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Pretty sure the afn is non flashable. Same ecu as the ahu so its a chip swap.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
this is why its best to just put in a used or new trubo upgrade for the engine you have, vs messing with a swap unless it gains something better, in this case it does not.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Mikkijayne - is the AFN ecu obd port tunable unlike the 1z/AHU which is chip swap?
All the 68 and 80 pin AFN ecus are chip swaps like the 1Z and AHU.

There are apparently some 121 pin port tunable versions for the AFN & AVG engines in the run-out B5 and C5 models, but I've never actually found one.

unless it gains something better, in this case it does not.
Well it opens up a whole load of more interesting or modern turbos like the BV43, GTB1756VK etc.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well it opens up a whole load of more interesting or modern turbos like the BV43, GTB1756VK etc.
that's what i meant, if you go to all that work for a stock VTN13 or whatever you better just go and upgrade it all together,