HOW TO and do-it-yourself threads

apr

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Heater Control 2000 Jetta

I have a 2000 Jetta TDI. The fan started working only on high, then stopped altogether. I replaced the blower motor and fuse, but that didn't help. I have a replacement heater control unit, but will be honest; I am afraid to take everything apart that is suggested to remove the unit myself, (glove box, console, steering column.) I see that on some models it is much more accessible, and am wondering if there is an easier way? Is it because of the trim, or is it a more involved reason? I would love to fix this problem, because I can't drive it very often w/out ventilation on the windshield, but can't afford to take it to the shop for a big fix. It is no longer my daily driver, but I hate for it to just sit. Thank you!

Ed ke6bnl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
Haven't located this within the thread, so here's a basic run down from multiple posts I've gleaned recently.

Theory (per Turbo Steve):
Compression is the Foundation of a TDI Engine

Just as in any other engine, a compression test can be used to find out how the rings, valves, and head gasket are holding up. The readings are taken at the injection nozzle holes or glow plug holes, depending on the manufacturer's recommendations. Remove all the nozzles or glow plugs before cranking so that the engine can spin as fast as possible, and disconnect the fuel shut-off solenoid wire to stop flow to the nozzles. Of course, the gauge must be capable of withstanding much higher pressures than those of gasoline powerplants.

Typical specifications are 400 to 500 psi, and if a specimen isn't up to these readings, it may be difficult or impossible to start (after all, compression is what ignites the fuel in a diesel). If one cylinder is 75 psi or more lower than its neighbors, it'll be apt to misfire, causing roughness and a loss of power and efficiency.

Once you've zeroed in on a "weak cylinder," squirt a small quantity of engine oil into the combustion chamber and do the test again. If your reading goes up dramatically, the rings are probably at fault. If the rise is small, bad valves are probably indicated.

Another distinctly possible failure is a blown head gasket, since a diesel's high compression (pressures) put terrific demands on whatever seals the joint between the block and head. A good indication that this seal has failed are very low readings on two adjacent cylinders. By the way, don't forget to check the condition of the timing belt!

Compression testing tells you the condition of an engine's foundation, and should be done when you suspect internal parts of causing a problem. But there's a lot more to diesel diagnosis, and I'll break it down into the proper procedures for specific complaints.

Procedure (per Drivbiwire):
TDI uses the *glow plug holes* to test compression.

-Get engine to operating temp
-DISCONECT THE HARNESS GOING TO THE INJECTION PUMP AND THE FUEL SHUT-OFF SELENOID failure to do this WILL cause the pressure gage to explode!!!!!! (note: you will need to clear the codes when your done)
-remove all four glow plugs
-Hook up a battery charger to keep a uniform charge between cylinders
-Crank until the compression gage stops climbing

Tools:
S&G Tol Aid diesel compression tester kit 34900, includes VW adapter 34740
http://www.toolaid.com/products.htm

Fair prices:
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sgt34900.html
http://www.toolsource.com/ost/product.asp?sourceid=http%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Etdiclub%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%253ft%3D98918%2526highlight%3Dcompression%2Bgauge&dept%5Fid=500&pf%5Fid=58484&mscssid=AHM4WHWWVNAF9G0TT7QL0FX7BLDJ4NU7

Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93644

Uber pricing (Snap-on):
MT33c compression gage (800 psi max) approx. $189
EEPV315A TDI Glow Plug adapter approx. $70

:)
Hope that this helps, and thanks Wingnut!
anyone know the thread pitch and diameter of the glow plug??

justa1.9

TDI
Mk4 1.9
Hellow brothers i had an account for a while just that never came back. I cant seem to find a post on how to change my glow plugs i saw some videos on youtube but not to helpful for a new ?...

lpasquale

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS ALH 01M - 325k and going strong - Sort of...
Newbie Question

How does one graduate from Newbie school into the membership. If it's based on the number of posts one writes, I may be a noob forever. Joined the club in 2008, love this forum and mostly just read all the interesting threads. Very thankful for all of you that voluntarily participate.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
How does one graduate from Newbie school into the membership. If it's based on the number of posts one writes, I may be a noob forever. Joined the club in 2008, love this forum and mostly just read all the interesting threads. Very thankful for all of you that voluntarily participate.
Yes, you must be an active participant to rise in "status". However, lurkers are welcome too.

Orin4

TDI
2002 beetle
Radiator re&re

Ok, I'm new at this . I've got a 2002 beetle tdi . I hit a rock . Plus my starter took a sh%÷×!. The starter was cool , but how do I remove the radiator? I can't seem to find a video on that. Also I noticed two broken sensor wires . One of three leads near the water thermo and one attached to the top of the shifter linkage (manual ). Any suggestions or info? Thanks Orin

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Ok, I'm new at this . I've got a 2002 beetle tdi . I hit a rock . Plus my starter took a sh%÷×!. The starter was cool , but how do I remove the radiator? I can't seem to find a video on that. Also I noticed two broken sensor wires . One of three leads near the water thermo and one attached to the top of the shifter linkage (manual ). Any suggestions or info? Thanks Orin
There are some torx screws at both ends of the radiator on the inside. T-20 I believe, maybe T-25
I recommend removing the fans first so it is easier to pull the radiator.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon

OSmolz

TDI
2004 JETTA
BEW Fuel Line Bleed - Getting Air Out

So I have been looking all over the forums and other sources for details on how to bleed BEW/PD, some stuff is similar to ALH but many things are not.

Can anyone help direct me on this?

Main thing is I can't see where the fuel injectors are, unlike the ALH they look like they are in the front, but I presume BEW are in the back and not clear how to get to them OR if there is an easier way to bleed the fuel lines for the BEW/PD.

Appreciate the help!

Got a - 2004 VW JETTA TDI GL - BEW PD

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It shouldn't be necessary. The P-D engines have an electric in-tank pump that forces fuel through the filter up to the tandem pump on the end of the crankshaft and that forces fuel under pressure into the fuel passages that are inside the cylinder head. The injectors are totally contained inside the cylinder head and you have to take the valve cover off to see them.

OSmolz

TDI
2004 JETTA
Thank you for that, so here is where I am confused on what can be the problem, I made the stupid mistake of not filling my fuel filter when i replace it. The car ran for a couple minutes after then died. It turns over just fine, but definitely seems like its not getting fuel, so I came to the forum and it seemed like the response was there is air in the line.
So I have been using a MittyVac to get air out the line, but only did it at the fuel filter and it still wont fire.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
BEW's have a history of failed fuel pumps. From what I've read, it's entirely possible your in-tank pump died, but the tandem pump was able to pull fuel through the in-tank pump and keep going, until you replaced the fuel filter, essentially breaking the seal on the fuel system.

See this thread.

Tony

OSmolz

TDI
2004 JETTA
I don't think my pump is the problem, it is new/installed by a mechanic beginning of last year. I will review that thread, but heard the pump kicking on.

When you say "breaking the seal on the fuel system" looking through the thread, was there suppose to be something on this or did i miss it. Not sure what that entails?

Thanks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I don't think my pump is the problem, it is new/installed by a mechanic beginning of last year. I will review that thread, but heard the pump kicking on.

When you say "breaking the seal on the fuel system" looking through the thread, was there suppose to be something on this or did i miss it. Not sure what that entails?

Thanks
I think "breaking the seal on the fuel system" means allowing air to enter the system, like breaking a vacuum.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I think "breaking the seal on the fuel system" means allowing air to enter the system, like breaking a vacuum.
Correct.

OSmolz,
If you feed the supply line to the fuel filter, into a catch can, you can quickly rule out the fuel pump. IIRC, the thread I linked earlier has instructions how to check the fuel pump volume.

Remember, new parts can fail early!

You will probably want to move your troubleshooting to it's own thread in the MK5 forum. And, PM us a link to the thread so we can continue help / learning.

Tony

Last edited:

alforddc

TDI
2002 vw beetle tdi
Bad glow plug and check engine light

I have a 2002 VW beetle Tdi. After checking the code for check engine light I discovered a bad glow plug #1. After trying using PB Blaster for several days I unfortunately seperated the nut portion of the glow plug from the threaded portion. So it just turns while the base/threaded portion stays in place. Since it will now be a fairly big deal to get it out I was wondering if the lesser of the evils would be to just leave it alone. I had a couple questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer:

1) I live in a climate where it sometimes gets down to around zero degrees F in the winter. Will the Beetle start on 3 glow plugs in the winter months?
2) The check engine light will remain on withe the one bad glow plug. I have no problem with the light staying on, however, if something serious comes up on the engine I will likely miss it thinking the check engine light is only on the bad glow plug. Does anyone know how to bypass the bad glow plug so the check engine light won't
come on?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have a 2002 VW beetle Tdi. After checking the code for check engine light I discovered a bad glow plug #1. After trying using PB Blaster for several days I unfortunately seperated the nut portion of the glow plug from the threaded portion. So it just turns while the base/threaded portion stays in place. Since it will now be a fairly big deal to get it out I was wondering if the lesser of the evils would be to just leave it alone. I had a couple questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer:

1) I live in a climate where it sometimes gets down to around zero degrees F in the winter. Will the Beetle start on 3 glow plugs in the winter months?
2) The check engine light will remain on withe the one bad glow plug. I have no problem with the light staying on, however, if something serious comes up on the engine I will likely miss it thinking the check engine light is only on the bad glow plug. Does anyone know how to bypass the bad glow plug so the check engine light won't
come on?
It may be possible to get that junk out of the hole without pulling the head. All I can say is proceed with caution.
If you must leave it in, secure it so there is no compression leak. You can cross wire the GP to eliminate the CEL.

alforddc

TDI
2002 vw beetle tdi
Thanks for the reply. When you say cross wire, do you mean. from the harness connector for bad plug to the motor to eleminate cel.

Apothecia

TDI
2004 VW Golf TDI MKIV (Manual)
How to upload a photo into a post

Hello,

I am still trying to figure out how to upload a photo into a post. I click on the photo icon and it wants me to insert a URL address? I uploaded a photo onto the site already, but was unable to access it for the post I wanted. Could someone please tell me how this is done?

Thank you,
-ES

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hello,

I am still trying to figure out how to upload a photo into a post. I click on the photo icon and it wants me to insert a URL address? I uploaded a photo onto the site already, but was unable to access it for the post I wanted. Could someone please tell me how this is done?

Thank you,
-ES
Easiest way is to use a photo hosting site like imgur or flickr. You can then just copy the link they provide for BBS or forum use.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I gave up on the server here after several other TDIClub members recommended imgur. It is far easier to use than the one here.

DShaw

TDI
2003 Jetta
Forgive me

Hi there, I don't know if this is the correct method of finding answers or suggestions but I recently bought a 2003 Jetta TDI. the drivers side electronics don't seem to work. I retrieved two entire doors from the scrap yard and dismantled them to get the harnesses out along with the actuators. when I disconnected mine down near the hood release inside the vehicle and plugged the new ones in, one of them worked exactly as the one which was on my car originally. This is that all three other windows worked and three locks worked. No window. With that same harness I plugged in from one of the salvage door, I tried with the window motor from the other salvage door. when I plugged in the window motor nothing worked at all. So now I am left with my door with all the parts it came with which only allows three of the four windows and locks to work excluding the driver side. I also have a harness from a salvage vehicle which provided all the same functions as my original harness.... while using the salvage harness and window motor, with the window motor out in the open, I can hear clicking(electrical or mechanical I'm unsure) coming from the window motor. the window crank does not spin.
if any of this explanation makes sense to anyone or if anyone has any suggestions on what I should replace or try next I would love to hear anything.
(a lot of "any" in the sentence)
thank you for your help and I apologize if this is not how this tread is used..

clearly I don't know what I'm doing...

I also tried to change the fuel filter and it seemed pretty straight forward but after doing it and priming it a bit the car started and 10 seconds later it choked out. in guessing air or the small possibility of the fuel sender under the seat?

any suggestions on that?

thank you!

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Go to this part of the forum. Since you have an 03, you have the MK4 platform.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

On the left side is a button entitled new thread. Click it. Make a brief title for your thread that describes your problem(s).

Divide your questions or descriptions into short paragraphs. With spaces between them, it's easier reading. Welcome to the forum.

Check your window switch itself and the wiring where it goes from the door to the car body.

Bleed that fuel system and make sure the O rings that are in the top of the filter are installed correctly and not pinched, and make sure you didn't crack that T that the O rings are mounted to.