car wont go over 60 or rev over 3k rpm

madsen22

TDI
05 jetta
im new to the site.. my wife owns an '05 jetta tdi. but shes having problems with it.. its spudring at 1800-2300 rpm. not letting me go over 60 mph. not blowing black smoke or any smoke for that matter. but it used to. talked with her cousin which has an '03 jetta tdi said it might be the fuel filter. told us to hop on here and see what other people say. any ideas on what it could be?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Could very well be. When was it last changed?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Yeah...there's a 20K mile interval on that.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
You might have thousands of dollars in damage for the lack of maintenance when it comes to oil (being a PD TDI). What oil was she using, and how often was it changed?

I would contact TurbineWhine in Asheville and setup a time for an appointment to have the car looked over...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Dealers can't always be trusted to use the correct oil. There are specific grade and specification requirements for TDIs, especially the PD type.

Hopefully she was changing the oil not more than every 10K miles.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
madsen22 said:
she didnt maintain her car much before she met me.. hardly ever changed her oil... and ill just stop there lol
If she was just a girlfriend, then you could walk away. But since the car belongs to your wife, you are now in charge of maintaining it.

You came to the right place. Maybe the problem is with the fuel filter... but I doubt it. It could be the engine is not getting enough fuel, or not enough air. You need to start from the beginning, replacing any and all filters that should have been replaced long ago. and the same with fluids. For anything more complicated than you can handle yourself, contact someone on the "recommended mechanics" list (sticky thread at the top of TDI 101).

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
madsen22 said:
she didnt maintain her car much before she met me.. hardly ever changed her oil... and ill just stop there lol
(Ex) wife #2 was like that, but that is not why we divorced (she had the Tiger Woods syndrome). I can definitely identify with you.

I also bet that VW 505.01 oil was never used after the factory fill in this car. The '05 TDI MUST use this spec oil or most likely the camshaft and lifters will fail and this is a $3000 plus repair, unless you do it yourself or find the rare person on this list that can and will do it for less.

If you love her, you will read upon this list on how to properly maintain this car and do it.

You (or someone knowledgeable) needs to completely go through this neglected car and perform all required maintenance. If you do not know if a maintenance item has been done, just do it.

How many miles are on the car?

I would venture to say your original posting issue is the fuel filter is plugged. Replace it ASAP! and if not, I would suspect the in-tank lift pump (failure).

--Nate

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
PDJetta said:
I also bet that VW 505.01 oil was never used after the factory fill in this car. The '05 TDI MUST use this spec oil or most likely the camshaft and lifters will fail and this is a $3000 plus repair...
Hold on -- that was the argument back in 2004 and 2005, but now we know better. The cam and lifters will either fail or they won't, and it does not seem to matter whether the VW-spec oil was used or not.

There are too many PD TDI owners using API-rated synthetic oils, with good results, to let this bogus 505.01 warming pass without comment. We've had these PD engines in North America since the 2004 model year, and folks have been running unauthorized oils nearly that long. TDI Club member GMARK was the first to run a controlled test of Mobil Delvac 5w40 in a PD engine, his story is here >>> http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=174007

To the OP: check out the "TDT mafia" thread -- for some reason, PD TDI owners who've switched to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 have decided to form their own group. TDT is not identical to Mobil Delvac 5w40, but still pretty close.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Madsen- Regarding the flat engine over 3000.. Definitely change the fuel filter first. Could also be MAF (mass air flow meter). But change the fuel filter first.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Are our public school systems that bad? Why can so many people not read the manual? This is like the 11th clogged fuel filter thread in the last couple months.... sheesh.... :rolleyes:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
As OH said, start with the fuel filter.

Go get a vagcom on it and run some logs. Check for a bad MAF.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
oilhammer said:
Are our public school systems that bad? Why can so many people not read the manual? This is like the 11th clogged fuel filter thread in the last couple months.... sheesh.... :rolleyes:
They're going to have to start sending maintenance schedules to car owners by text message or nobody under the age of 40 will pay any attention to it. Maybe a facebook option?

One question, why would camshaft/lifter replacement be $3000? Lets assume that a car like this has close to 100K miles, needs timing belt and cam/lifters. How much extra is it to replace the cam/lifters at the same time. The head does not need to come off, does it?