AWD Conversion For Jetta MK4?

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Well it is short of a far out idea, but I was wondering if anyone out there had any opinions to give about the possibility of converting a 2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI from FWD to AWD. One thing I am fuzzy on is weather the MK4 Jetta is based on the A4 chassis or the A3 chassis. Different sites say they are different chassis so i don't know. But Audi vehicles come with AWD, so would it not be possible to take an audi rear end and Trans and put it in the jetta? And would the TDI (upgraded to 110 hp with new injector nozzles) have sufficant power to do this? Just throwing this out there for discussion

Last edited:

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
See that is what I was looking for, good to know :).

Now I just need to figure out what parts I need and how to get them over the good ol' USA without paying an arm and a leg.

Any Help with this one?

Last edited:

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Seems to me there was a guy a few years ago (mid-2003/04?) that took a couple of flood-damaged .:R's and transplanted the pertinant bits into a beetle & a Jetta. No idea if the cars are still around or not, but that would be an alternative. Find yourself a wrecked .:R, then you'd just need to source the correct trans (& possibly a diff) for your application.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
you really need a body, since the body is quite a bit different on the rear end to make room for the AWD system.

That's probabbly he biggest thing.

best idea would be take a R32 that is already here and swap it to TDI

Quadrifoglio

Veteran Member
TDI
None! Oops......
Yeah. Different rear floorpan, different gas tank, different rear suspension (of course) and then all the awd bits and ECU stuff.

There is a shop in California that does these conversions but they charge about $15,000 to do it. There have been a few people that have done this to their MKIV jettas/Golfs themselves but I believe the parts alone were in the $5K range and if you aren't handy with a welder then it's not gonna happen.

We can certainly all dream though. I think if my car was awd then I'd be in heaven! :)

Quadrifoglio

Veteran Member
TDI
None! Oops......
You could just pick one up in Europe (they use the 24 valve VR6 engines) for around $7,000. Put it in a shipping container and ship it over as a box of toys! :)

Much cheaper.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
too bad it takes a floor - I just found a guy selling all you'd need except the floor from a TT 225hp.... 6 speed tranny and all....