A crank, and then ... silence

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
It sounded as if the battery died... the engine cranked over enough to maybe get one of the cylinders to TDC and then stopped as if the battery was too low to crank. All following attempts yielded no noise whatsoever besides the relay clicks. I know the battery is fine as all the lights work, everything lights up brightly on the dash and with a bump start the engine started perfectly and ran like a charm without any issues. I'm sure it's something with the starter, because I hear no attempt to crank when I turn the key. My question is, are there any fuses or relays that i could check before I pull the starter? On inspection, the braided line is allright so maybe the starter just pooped out finally...

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Battery is probably the original and it's not the greatest, but it's always, always started the car. When I had an injection pump installed we had to crank it a lot to prime the hard lines and it didn't slow down at all. This time there is absolutely no attempt to crank anymore. The starter gave it one push and stopped. I have 12.5v on the battery which barely dips when I turn the key to crank. It dips more when I turn the lights on... I know the battery will be on the list of things to replace in the future but I doubt it's the culprit. However, i'm no professional, anyone agree with my reasoning?

By the way, car is a 2001 Jetta, TDI of course :)

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Whooopeeeee!

The braided line looks like it blew up! It looks like I don't need to get a new starter, Everything looks good inside

i'll try to post a picture

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
A battery can show 12v and still not have enough to crank. You need a load tester.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Without a doubt the battery has to go soon as it's only got 200cca left (computerized tester results), but it was the braided line that blew a hole in itself which made the starter stop working, i'll show you guys the fix later once the camera batteries are charged

Last edited:

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
How to fix the starter to solenoid coupling

If you get in your car, turn the key and the engine cranks then stops and will no longer crank when you try again, chances are that the braided wire in between the starter solenoid is toasted, nicely toasted. Mine had a hole in it as if a small explosion went off inside the wire. Without that connection, the starter cannot complete the circuit to ground and you will have a no start.

Go to a hardware store and find a small piece of copper pipe, you have to cut it down one side so you can then hammer it flat. Afterwards cut it using your imagination to fit. Drill a hole in one end to go over the solenoid terminal, the other end you will have to drill through the post thats sticking out and the copper piece as well. You first have to clean up the post, remember there was a wire crimped on there? A dremel works well for that. Use a small screw to secure the two, of which you will grind the end of and then proceed to solder them together with a torch just for extra security and extra amp carrying capacity. I would imagine this can flow just as many amps, if not more. Beats that braided wire no? :D

NOTE: MAKE SURE TO CLEAN ALL THE ELECTRICAL CONTACT POINTS WITH SOME SANDPAPER, OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE POOR CURRENT FLOW AND WHAT WILL SEEM LIKE A WEAK BATTERY. I USED SOME REAR DEFOGGER REPAIR ON THE CONTACT POINTS TO MAKE SURE, ANYTHING HIGHLY CONDUCTIVE WILL WORK THOUGH.

Starts easier than it did before without a doubt :)

Update:
Well past the winter weather, the repair is working flawlessly. Even with the warmer weather, multiple starts are not an issue so it's safe to say this will work long term.

UPDATE 14OCT2015: Starter system works perfectly, no issues with the starter

Last edited:

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
Victor Huge said:
If you get in your car, turn the key and the engine cranks then stops and will no longer crank when you try again, chances are that the braided wire in between the starter solenoid is toasted, nicely toasted. Mine had a hole in it as if a small explosion went off inside the wire. Without that connection, the starter cannot complete the circuit to ground and you will have a no start.

Go to a hardware store and find a small piece of copper pipe, you have to cut it down one side so you can then hammer it flat. Afterwards cut it using your imagination to fit. Drill a hole in one end to go over the solenoid terminal, the other end you will have to drill through the post thats sticking out and the copper piece as well. You first have to clean up the post, remember there was a wire crimped on there? A dremel works well for that. Use a small screw to secure the two, of which you will grind the end of and then proceed to solder them together with a torch just for extra security and extra amp carrying capacity. I would imagine this can flow just as many amps, if not more. Beats that braided wire no? :D

NOTE: MAKE SURE TO CLEAN ALL THE ELECTRICAL CONTACT POINTS WITH SOME SANDPAPER, OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE POOR CURRENT FLOW AND WHAT WILL SEEM LIKE A WEAK BATTERY. I USED SOME REAR DEFOGGER REPAIR ON THE CONTACT POINTS TO MAKE SURE, ANYTHING HIGHLY CONDUCTIVE WILL WORK THOUGH.

Starts easier than it did before without a doubt :)

11 JAN 2010 Update: Well into the winter weather, the repair is working flawlessly coupled with a new battery and there are no issues with cranking for a maxium of four seconds (engine always starts).
This makes me wonder if my starter really needed to be replaced that last time it was. I never saw it for myself...

Looks like a great fix!