PD Melted piston

russ_tdi

TDI
pd130
hello all
Iv got a pd130 with 17/22 turbo WI and all the norm bits to go with it. Was making 268bhp and 412lbft for over 2 years (22k miles) up untill a couple of weeks ago. Was going along at 85mph when it started running on three. so did the norm compression check and no4 was down, so thort head gaskit. when i ripped the head off i found that no4 piston has what i can only describe as melted the top on one side it has got very hot and saged. found no damage to rings or bore

Anyone had this or any ideas what it could be corsed by? was thinking if my injectors spray pattern was very bad it would only cool some parts of the piston with the fuel duse this sound right?

thanks

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
russ_tdi said:
hello all
Iv got a pd130 with 17/22 turbo WI and all the norm bits to go with it. Was making 268bhp and 412lbft for over 2 years (22k miles) up untill a couple of weeks ago. Was going along at 85mph when it started running on three. so did the norm compression check and no4 was down, so thort head gaskit. when i ripped the head off i found that no4 piston has what i can only describe as melted the top on one side it has got very hot and saged. found no damage to rings or bore

Anyone had this or any ideas what it could be corsed by? was thinking if my injectors spray pattern was very bad it would only cool some parts of the piston with the fuel duse this sound right?

thanks
Perhaps it was a leaky injector causing preignition or it streamed...

silver_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI PD
I would guess it would be your injector spray pattern. They operate at extremely high pressure. I have seen diesel injectors on C15 Cat's blow a hole right through a piston. Your PD injector runs at a higher psi than the Caterpillar engine does about 2050 bar or 29 750 PSI according to this source. http://www.langleyvw.ca/tech/pd.html
So even if your spray pattern was off just a bit it would make the top of the piston look almost melted. Is the point completely gone off of the top of the piston where the injector sprays if it is, that would be a good sign of improper spray pattern.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
I just wonder it lasted so long with the claimed turbo and powerlevel. EMP->EGT->Molten engine.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
hatemi said:
I just wonder it lasted so long with the claimed turbo and powerlevel. EMP->EGT->Molten engine.
I don't even think that power level is even remotely possible with the hardware given, but with all of the dynos out there that defy logic and mathmatics you just have to give up.

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
hatemi said:
x2

Maybe it was never pushed hard for a long time... and when it was cabum.

I also own a melted piston in my garage :D

Back to topic , maybe the high PCP and EGTs where the reason the piston melted.

russ_tdi

TDI
pd130
cheers for the quick replys and input:)

I did find it wird that it was making that much power. I just thort it was a fluke as i was told the turbo had bin built a wee bit difrontly from the norm

iv had it on 4 diffront rolling roads came out as 259.8, 262.3, 265.1 and 268.2 so just went with it :)

Running at such a push i always thort something was going to give but i thort it would be the turbo 1st

now im re building it and going a step up with head work, race injectors and a bigger turbo i would love to get to the bottom of the problem so i can stop it from going agen

will try and get pics up asap. Think it will help a lot more than me trying to explane

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
Be sure to check that injector. The melted spots match the spray pattern.

The sooted piston has a pattern that stretches a ways out onto the piston crown. I'm not that familiar with what that pattern normally looks like, but a deviation in timing could be an issue too.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I'm going to go out on a limb here. By running high concentrations of methanol, you can take the timing control of the combustion out of the ECU's hands. Lot's of people run 50/50 with out problems, and then there are people with cracked/melted pistons. If you have a stock intake, no matter where the W/I nozzle is located you are going to get a concentration of spray in cyl 4. Is it possible that the burn started in #4 too early due to methanol? Maybe I'd say...

Either that or a bum injector... You need to have your current injector setup tested prior to disassembly for the race nozzle swap. All your answers lie there!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I have a good place to send injectors for testing/fitting as Phil knows!

The intake will definatly send more meth to the 4th cylinder. at the claimed power lever the SOI and duration must be way beyond specs for definate!

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I've been running 50/50 water meth for quite some time and all 4 pistons were fine when removed for my new rods to go on. I also run a stock pd150 intake, only mod to it is porting out.

My W/M injector is also in a boost pipe a good 3 feet from the inlet manifold so the shower spray should be evenly dispersed in the air by the time it reaches the intake - It's just a question of how it distributes into the cylinder head then