GTD in 2015?

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
Hey Guys,

i was at the VW FreeTour at ontario place yesterday and talked to a lot of the organizers there and some of the professional drivers on site as well. I totally fell in love with the GTI, after taking it on the track and making those tire sing. Anyways, Im a huge diesel fan, but the GTI was just amazing, and i might consider it for my next car. But i thought to myself, why not have the best of both worlds? So i asked some people if the GTD would ever be considered for Canada. It turns out, one of the organizers there was from VW Canada Marketing, and she tipped me off saying they were actually looking at the figures last month to see if it would be worth bring the GTD to Canada. From what she said, about 3-5% of all VW sold are GTI's, so to bring the GTD to Canada, would be a really hard decision. However, Canada, unlike the US, has a 30-40% Diesel sale rate for their golfs and jettas. So, the GTD might even sell more then the GTI, if they can tap into that market. They're doing studies now and focus groups to see if it's worth while. From what she says, the figures dont look good for the GTD. However, i feel they're just asking the wrong people. So, i told them about the tdiclub, and asked if i could get a list, would they look at it. So, basically it comes down to this.

If you'd be interested in a GTD. Just leave a quick comment, just a simple "yes" would do. After getting enough comments, i'm going to forward the list to VW so they can take a look at the potential sales. I can tell you right now. I'd be on that list. Hands down. :D

So, let me know! put your name down.

GTD info can be found here

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Actually what they should do is bring the scirocco over as the GTD

That would be wild, and I'm sure they would sell like hot cakes

Just make the only motor choice diesel

Either way I'd buy a GTD in a heartbeat

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
yep! I test drove both GTI and TDI yesterday as well and i love the TDI torque, and love the GTI suspension and everything else. It would make total sense if they bring the GTD. Wife's lease on the Golf is over in Nov 2012 so i give you until then ;)

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
While it might be interesting, I would think that the diesel would nab a premium over the 2.0T engine. In north america, the sales are weighted towards sedans vs hatchbacks. (hence the reason they came up with the Wolfsburg/GLI edition Jettas). While I'd love to see a GTD come here, I wouldn't personally buy one as my commute is better suited for a gas or *gasp* hybrid car. If I were to ever move where I'd have a long commute again, I'd look at the GTD, but not sure that the price would be worth it.

FYI there will soon be choice in the market as Mazda is going to start offering diesels late next year (2012 model year cars). Guess what...no urea/extra emissions equipment.

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
Yes to GTD,
Yes to TDI Tiguan ( Lift kit, safari roof rack, winch, 24" ties, snorkel intake :D ) BTW, it has to be standard.
NO to GTI and Tiguan gas, because it is not a TDI.

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
This will wet everyone's appetite for a GTD

It would be even better if VW comes up with a JGSW GTD too

Here's the '10 Golf GTD as tested by Auto Express

TDIPOWER said:
I thought I would like to share this with everyone

Check in the General VW Discussion forum for the VW Driver road test

VW Golf GTD TDI

Has GTI been successfully transformed into a diesel thriller?

Last edited:

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
What engine would VW put in the GTD in order for the car to meet the more strict NA emission standards?

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As usual, the NA will probably get the less powerful engine. So, I would say the 140 BHP version since it has already been approved and certified to be use in the stricter NA e-std. The 170 BHP would it be nicer, but VW has to do the engine emission testing for approval and certification all over again, and it'll be more expensive too, so less profit margin...

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I'd buy one. I'm sure it would be cheaper than the "MK4 GTD" i've been building. :D

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
ok how about this:

Would anyone buy a 2011 GTI with TDI engine? same HP and torq as Golf TDI? That way you will get all the goodies with GTI and get your power of TDI, i dont care about what euro GTD hp numbers are. All i have to do is to go see a chip tuner and pay 400$ and get a tune that is very similar to numbers with GTD!!!
Also VW would be happy bc they dont have to worry about emission requiremets for the 170hp engine???

I would consider buying a GTD if its the same price as GTI. After all both are special engines so there shouldn't be any premium on top of GTI bc of tdi engine!

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
While the GTD is very cool, I would be way more interested in an Amarok.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
ok how about this:

Would anyone buy a 2011 GTI with TDI engine? same HP and torq as Golf TDI? That way you will get all the goodies with GTI and get your power of TDI, i dont care about what euro GTD hp numbers are. All i have to do is to go see a chip tuner and pay 400$ and get a tune that is very similar to numbers with GTD!!!
Also VW would be happy bc they dont have to worry about emission requiremets for the 170hp engine???

I would consider buying a GTD if its the same price as GTI. After all both are special engines so there shouldn't be any premium on top of GTI bc of tdi engine!
Hate to be devil's advocate again, but I think you have to realize that VW sells more sedans (Jettas) than Golfs in North America. VW also tried giving Canadians something different: the Jetta TDI Sport (VW wolfsburg with unique rims and TDI engine). I'm guessing that it didn't sell as well as hoped as there aren't any more being offered (either that, or it was designed as a very limited run).

I think what people should be asking is "would you consider a Golf GTI-D with a base of $32-33 grand Canadian (base)" as the GTIs are already $30,000 base for a 5 door with manual tranny. Would be interesting to see it come here, but something tells me that we won't see it.

I do believe that a GTI-D is a more realistic option compared to the GTD, as VW wouldn't have to re-jig anything to be able to sell it meeting environmental standards.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Hate to be devil's advocate again, but I think you have to realize that VW sells more sedans (Jettas) than Golfs in North America. VW also tried giving Canadians something different: the Jetta TDI Sport (VW wolfsburg with unique rims and TDI engine). I'm guessing that it didn't sell as well as hoped as there aren't any more being offered (either that, or it was designed as a very limited run).

I think what people should be asking is "would you consider a Golf GTI-D with a base of $32-33 grand Canadian (base)" as the GTIs are already $30,000 base for a 5 door with manual tranny. Would be interesting to see it come here, but something tells me that we won't see it.

I do believe that a GTI-D is a more realistic option compared to the GTD, as VW wouldn't have to re-jig anything to be able to sell it meeting environmental standards.
I think they are totally changing the Jetta and Golf paths, Jetta is more like a family sedan and Golf seems to be more like the hot hatchback that it used to be.
I bought the Jetta for one reason, highway cruiser. We usually take the wife's Golf downtown bc it just smaller and has DSG. My new jetta will be a great 401 highway car.

Having said that i guess we are both saying the same thing. Give us the GTI with TDI engine in it and i think ppl would buy it.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I don't know... Do we really need yet another version of the Golf? I don't care what the differences are - it's still a golf to me!

Bring the Scirocco. THAT would get me excited, especially as a TDI ;)

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
I don't know... Do we really need yet another version of the Golf? I don't care what the differences are - it's still a golf to me!

Bring the Scirocco. THAT would get me excited, especially as a TDI ;)
The same thing can be says for Jetta TDI Cup Edition, it is still a Jetta to me, no?! Of course not.

Not saying don't bring Scirocco over but it doesn't hurt for VW to bring GTD here at the same time.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now would anyone say the new gen. Scirocco it's just another Golf?

Yet, those two have different driving dynamics inspite sharing same platforms and mechanicals

And yes, I'll take the Scirocco GTD over the Golf GTD anytime.