HELP - Battery Died and I need my Nav/Radio Code!

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, 2017 GSW TSI
Hello,

The battery died on our 2006 TDI w/Nav system, and upon jumpstart, the radio/nav asked for a code. Of course, when we bought the car, we didn't get one. :(

What's odd is that I've pulled the battery out several times before, and I've never needed a code before!

I have Vag-Com, can I use it to do a reset?

Thanks,

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Hello,

The battery died on our 2006 TDI w/Nav system, and upon jumpstart, the radio/nav asked for a code. Of course, when we bought the car, we didn't get one. :(

What's odd is that I've pulled the battery out several times before, and I've never needed a code before!

I have Vag-Com, can I use it to do a reset?

Thanks,
You should scan and clear all codes anyway, but all may be well after a few start/warmup cycles even without intervention.

Bill

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
...and if clearing codes doesn't fix it, I think that the radio code is something the dealer would have to look up in a database.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
You will need to get the code from the dealership. Each radio has it's own code that can be looked up in some system that the dealer has access to.

Unless it's a very new thing, I've never heard of radio security codes being available in a service manual. It really doesn't make much sense either..

Any decent parts guy should be able to retrieve it for you for free.

Professor121

TDI
2009 jetta
Just opened it up (I have the CD), but I can't seem to find it!

dzcad90 is correct. The security radio code is not listed and you have to go back to the dealer. The radio code that I thought you meant is the code that tells the system what kind of radio that you have. I finally found my radio code (A 2009 car) as part of a bulletin buried in the manual. Everytime I read the service manual I run across something new.:p

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
I've noticed on the CAN enabled vehicles that you leave the radio off, start the car and turn it on. it realizes nothing has changed and will activate on it's own.

This happened on our '04 Jetta and our '10 Wagen.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Yeah, the radio must mate itself to the car via VIN or CAN bus MAC address (or whatever the CAN bus has that's equivilent to a MAC)

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I've had the battery out of my 2006 Jetta and did not need a radio code upon reinstallation of the battery.
I'll get to revisit this in the next few days as my battery charger tells me I have an open cell in the battery.

Bill