05 Passat Trans code 0741

WelderTeacher

TDI
2005 B5 Passat GLS
About a month ago I purchased a used 2005 Passat with 106,000 miles. Within 200 miles I had the fault code 0741 come up twice. The dealer took it to local VW/Audi Tech and had him check the codes and service the tranny. Well here we are a few weeks later and the code has appeared again. The dealership is reluctant to deal with me on this and is suggesting it be serviced again, am I looking at a new trans or a torque converter?

Thanks

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I believe your TC is toast, a few other things you may want to consider...have these been changed or performed...BS module, alt pulley, glo plug mod, brake light switch, timing belt, water pump, tensioners, what oil was used at oil changes (505.1)?, how is the cam...what did I miss? Did you check this site before you bought it? If you didn't it could get expensive

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Converters are available from your dealer or Erickson in CT. Honestly it is hit or miss with Erickson. However the price is 1/2 of what you would spend on OEM. You will also need to drop the pan again and replace the fluid and filter (this is a precaution). Honestly, you will probably eventually need a whole unit anyway.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I believe your TC is toast, a few other things you may want to consider...have these been changed or performed...BS module, alt pulley, glo plug mod, brake light switch, timing belt, water pump, tensioners, what oil was used at oil changes (505.1)?, how is the cam...what did I miss? Did you check this site before you bought it? If you didn't it could get expensive
Motor mounts, plenum chamber re-seal, sunroof drain fix, ground cable by turbo hose tie off, etc.

MacVWTDI

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
My wife's B5 with 180K is throwing the 0741 code also.
It just recently started actually showing symptoms of TC failure though I think.
Doesn't always lock up in reverse - revs and then jumps into reverse hard;
Rough downshifting at times.
She stopped at a light this morning and went to go again and it balked completely.
Am I looking at a full tranny rebuild?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
could be a trans failure, but low fluid will show same symptoms. however unless trans is topped up immediately, damage will occur. Drum and clutch D will affect reverse as you describe.