Bridgestone tires with 100,000+ miles

CWyler

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I bought my 93 Jetta with a set of Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions on it. They probably had 10k miles on them at the time. I have driven the car 100k miles and the tires are finally showing signs they will need changed in another 10k miles. Of course my first thought is to get the same brand again. My research found that Bridgestone rates the tire wear at 40k. Did I get an unusual set that lasted 3 times that amount? What experience do others on this forum have with this tire?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I/you/anyone don't want to run tyres longer than 6 years. Rubber gets too old and looses it's properties.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
henrick...i think i would be concerned with the 6 yr rule if the tires have not been used in six years rather then being driven on here in there in that slotted amount of time. TIres that sit for a long time seem to get brittle and tend to crack or come apart quite easily

plugger

Veteran Member
TDI
99 jetta TDI,03 JETTA TDI,94 CHEVY 6.5, 99 DODGE CUMMINS 98 Beetle TDI
I did not see where you stated the age, just the mileage. I have gotten some great numbers from truck tires but never anything like that on a passenger tire. I may have to buy a set and see.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Tire wear can vary based on how carefully the tires were manufactured, and the mix of materials. Back in 1973 my mom bought some 'new technology' tires- called radials. Mom's Michelins had 80,000 miles on them by the time she sold the car, and they still looked AMAZING- tread was only abt 1/2 worn. Mom's Michelins were manufactured in Germany- which country were your Bridgestones made in? (yes, it's a japanese comapny, but the sidewall will tell you which country and which plant made that tire)

Last edited:

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
My mom's 05 JW tdi got 120,000 on the factory Continental Contitrac's. Brakes went to around 145,000.

This was almost all moderate speed highway driving, by my mom, in the cooler north.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I have a set of SUMITOMO HTR 200. They were used all the time and they're only 4 years since the day of manufacture. However, all of them have cracks. I guess it's the last season for them regardless of the thread depth.

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
And while we're on the subject of tire longevity, I recently was chastised by the boys which mounted/balanced my new Continental tires. They claimed I should never apply Amorall Original to my tires, just use soapy water to clean them. They claimed the "protectors" degrade the rubber and hasten sidewall cracks.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Have you noticed that type cracking on tires you previously applied that Armorall product on?

Based on what people are told about their TDIs by mechanics who insist they know it all, I'd ask for proof, I think.

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Have you noticed that type cracking on tires you previously applied that Armorall product on?...snip...
Yes, I have. I installed a brand new tire and liberally applied the tire protectant (another one, not Amorall) and within two years the tire was replete w/ cracks. At the time I just chalked that up to inferior product based on country of origin which happened to be Thailand. However now, I am left to wonder if the advice (not to apply these types of solutions) is accurate.

Just wondering what others have experienced using the sidewall solutions which add that satisfying shine, but may in fact be anathema to long tire life.