2015 Golf TDI 4door suspension mod suggestions

TDI-newbeetle

TDI
2015 Golf
I have a 2015 golf 4 door TDI stock 17 inch wheels.
I'm looking to tighten up the look and gain some handling. My last vw was a 2006 GTI, geat look with awesome handling. My TDI looks like I borrowed grandma's car. Don't get me wrong, power and millage is better than expected and I'm super happy with the car. I would like to loose some of the gap between tire and fender. Doing some reading, looks like different springs and bigger wheels (18) is a good place to start.
I measured from center hub to fender on a similar gti 13 1/8 inch
My car measured 13 3/4 inch....not much difference.
I'm not going for the fast and ferrous look, just some improvement.
Any suggestions would be great.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
A fatter tire with thicker sidewall is a cheaper way to cut down on the wheel gap aside from throwing in new springs. If you go to an 18" wheel, most VW OEM wheels on the golf & Jetta are 7.5" wide but I've seen some that are 8" wide.
Stock rubber size for 18" is 225/40, but there is plenty of room to fit 225/45 or 235/40, and you can probably fit 235/45 without rubbing. (Someone on here has this size on his JSW and claims to have no rubbing issues).
Just account that you will be going slightly faster than speedo reads, but it might also hurt your acceleration so...YMMV. everything has side effects.
There's a thread on here about oversize tires. Search and enjoy.
If money isn't an issue, KONI FSDs are pretty good shock/Struts if you like the sharp handling of GTI/GLI. Or you can shell out for Golf R components.
Fwiw...BMW Runs 225/50R17 on their 3 series cars with 17" wheels and those look pretty sweet. Those should fit in wheel well just fine.
Disclaimer: I lifted both of my TDIs along with a bunch of other folks on here.

Okan

TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
i'm going to jump in on this thread too, as i have a 2015 golf tdi that needs some smaller wheel gaps.

i just bought some 19" pretorias for the gf's car but haven't fit them yet to see how they look... but i'm about to pickup some kw v3 coilovers, as i'm sure the gap will look bad.

is there anything else i should be getting along with the coilovers before attempting install? are camber plates necessary? do i need to get new strut mounts??

does anyone have pics of a stock ride height tdi with pretorias?

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
You could just go the vwr etc lowering spring route. Would drop the car an inch and still keep ride comfort for the most part. Plus only like $285. With those springs you would have to tuck tires or deal with rub.