Rear Washer Nozzle Replacement

mustangmarty

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
How do you replace the replace a broken rear washer nozzle? I found this item on eBay.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Window-...3-B4-1988-1999-/142789442445?oid=322492914260

Do you just pull out the nozzle with a pair of pliers and then pull the hose barb/hose out the front side of the wiper motor? Or do you have to drill the rivers out, take it apart to replace the hose/barb part and then reassemble with nuts and bolts?

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Just pull. Everything should be a compression fit.

-Todd

mustangmarty

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
Thanks Todd. Easy as pie. I replaced the wiper motor and then pushed the nozzle into the end of the shaft. Now the washer nozzle turns back and forth with the wiper. I test fit the nozzle back into the old washer motor assembly and the nozzle fits loose in there which would allow it to stay stationary while the wiper shaft rotated back and forth around it. But when I push the nozzle into the end of the replacement washer motor assembly, it is So tight, I really have to push hard to force it in. Am I correct in thinking that it is this tight fit that is causing the nozzle to move with the shaft rather than letting the shaft rotate back and forth around it? Im tempted to just get a small drill bit to clean out any corrosion that might be in there to loosen things up. What do y’all think?

mustangmarty

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
Yup, that did the trick. Just found the biggest drill bit that would fit inside the hollow shaft that the nozzle pushes into and cleaned out whatever dirt and corrosion was in there. Blew the resulting particulate out, and now it works like a champ. Of course, I pulled the plastic washer fluid tube out of that hollow shaft first.