Murphy USA

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Guys I need some help / clarification...

Tonight, I stopped by my local Murhpy USA to fuel up my 2013 Passat TDI. For the FIRST TIME EVER, I saw a sticker on the pump that says something to the effect that the pump has somewhere between B5 and B20...

I pumped in 13 gallons... am I going to be OK or should I go somewhere else? I'm asking because I receive a 5 cent discount from here with my WalMart credit card.

I've read a lot of banter on here and I know that B5 is acceptable. I know what the latest rumors are about VW changing their minds and all.

What is the likelihood I'm going to have problems?

Thanks in advance!

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
I found this chart on the Vortex... can someone shed some light on how I should read this properly?

MaddogTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, United Grey, 6M
Hey... That's my chart.... Didn't realize it was on the vortex! Funny how the interwebs work!

The intent is to understand how much B100 or B20 you need to mix with straight D2 to get to 2-5% Bio mix ratio in order to get lubricating benefits without going over the max 5% recommendation.

Very simple to read: left hand column is how many gallons of D2 you used. The other columns are how much Bio you put in. So if you put a quart (32oz) of B100 in with 10 gallons of D2, you'd have 2.4% Bio in that tank.

Intended to be a simple quick reference guide that can be used at the island while you mix and fill. Glad to see it being used!

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Maddog! I thought it looked like a proportion.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I went to my local Sam's club today. No mention of Biodiesel blending on the pumps... topped off about a gallon max. When I get down to 1/4 tank... time to fill up with regular D2 once again.

If Sam's starts using BIO... then off to Kroger (who have the exact same pricing points as Murphy and Sam's)!

Rual817

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI ALH
I went to my local Walmart to fill. Went into the fueling ofc and asked who their supplier was. "we get different trucks everytime." OK, and who are they bringing it from. She pulled out their last delivery receipt. EXXON. did the same at my local Kroger. EXXON. Just go up and ask to see who they are getting it from.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
@Rual... that's all well and good but I can't have >5% Bio in my Passat... thus the premise for my thread.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
If I had to worry about this issue, my interest in buying a TDI would end. Period; I just wouldn't do it. And if I went down and put diesel in my car at my friendly Super Pantry (Mobil) and something happened to the fuel system, I'd expect VW to fix it on their dime. I'm not about to trek all over looking for the right fuel, or play junior chemist mixing and matching stuff and putting it in my tank. VWAG would be facing huge litigation problems if this had any reality, since they are selling cars that have to be filled up at any gas stations selling diesel, many of which have no indication of what diesel formulation is being pumped. My conclusion: VW isn't concerned about what fuel is being dispensed, in spite of their 5% admonition, so why should I be?

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
@Rico... Thanks for your input... the problem has been rectified.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
...VWAG would be facing huge litigation problems if this had any reality, since they are selling cars that have to be filled up at any gas stations selling diesel, many of which have no indication of what diesel formulation is being pumped. ...
Note that ASTM spec D2 can have up to 5% biodiesel in it and no label is required. Anything over 5% needs to be labeled in TX, and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case elsewhere.

I've been in correspondance with Murphy USA on their 6 to 20% biodiesel being too high for any of the European diesel vehicles (and some US as well) and haven't gotten a sensible answer from them yet.

19Tango

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI. A real 6spd for real men.
Stopped at Murphys today in St Cloud, FL just south of Orlando on 192 and their diesel pump had the Biodiesel 5%-20% sticker too.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
That's all well and good, but . . . .

If I had to worry about this issue, my interest in buying a TDI would end. Period; I just wouldn't do it. And if I went down and put diesel in my car at my friendly Super Pantry (Mobil) and something happened to the fuel system, I'd expect VW to fix it on their dime. I'm not about to trek all over looking for the right fuel, or play junior chemist mixing and matching stuff and putting it in my tank. VWAG would be facing huge litigation problems if this had any reality, since they are selling cars that have to be filled up at any gas stations selling diesel, many of which have no indication of what diesel formulation is being pumped. My conclusion: VW isn't concerned about what fuel is being dispensed, in spite of their 5% admonition, so why should I be?

I hear what you are saying, and understand where you are coming from. At the same time, I'll note that no auto maker will cover any "mis-fueling" problem under warranty. It's not just VW. Put diesel in your Chevy, and GM will laugh at you. "Mis-fueling" would be VW's reason for denying coverage, and they have a long history of doing so.

At the same time, I agree with you that you shouldn't have to play chemist and mix and match to get "the right stuff." As long as you pay attention and go to a pump labeled "diesel," you should be safe, and any problem should be covered either by the auto maker or the fuel supplier. BUT, and this is a big "but," I'll note that there has always been "regular" and "super" gas as well as diesel #1 and #2. Now we've also got diesel #2 with 5% or less bio and diesel #2 with 5-20% bio, along with E85 gasoline to contend with. So it is not a stretch to expect a driver to pay attention and buy only from a pump with the "right" juice in it, and if that is diesel-no-more-than-5%-bio, so be it. E85 isn't covered. High-test gas isn't covered. 20% bio isn't covered.

At the same time, if a state government mandates all diesel sold must be B5-B20, VW has a problem of what to do about selling cars in that state. I have heard that Illinois has done that, and since you live in Illinois, YOU may be the one who tests whether VW can enforce the >5% rule.