Dual Diaphram Clutch Kit (& VR6) Group Buy

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Hello all!
I was looking at the dual diaphram clutch kit last night, and I was really impressed with it. I know that it's used on many of the highly modded turbo VR6 and 1.8T cars without slippage, and I think that it would be a great choice for us TDIs. I spoke with my vendor today about it, saying that to get the word out I need some sort of group buy pricing. Between him and I we have knocked off $150 on the price of the kit. As long as I have at least 10 of them sold we can get the price. Usual price with the transmission stretch bolts is $795 shipped. I am offering them for this group buy only at $649 shipped with 6 pressure plate & 6 flywheel bolts and the transmission stretch bolt kit (it's usually $20 for the stretch bolts). Canadian buyers can get it for $725 USD shipped, I pay the customs fees.
My vendor is also watching this thread, and after the order goes in my price goes back up to the $795 price. Some know that in the past they have been able to take advantage of my soft heart and get a recently ended group buy price after the fact. DO NOT even try on this, because it will not happen. :)

The Dual Diaphram kits will be ordered from my vendor last week in June for a 1st week in July delivery date. Expect US or Canadian kits to arrive by July 14th. Canadian kits will be sent via FedEx ground (remember I am paying brokerage fees), but upon request I will send them 2-day air. If you are not in a hurry please allow me the extra $$ for my education ;).

June Special--Dual Diaphram Clutch kits:
As seen in my Bargain Bin--I offer the following for clutches:
~Clutch:
*All models (A3/B4 do not need bolt kits):
-SACHS VR6 clutch kit 1862393031 (Disc, Pressure Plate, Throwout bearing) (990 lb. clamp load) PN: 021198141 --- $199 shipped
-G60 or Lightened Flywheel 021105269B --- $195 shipped
-6 Flywheel & 6 Pressure plate bolts (included in all clutch kits) --- $20 shipped

---Clutch Kits (Include Disc, Pressure Plate, Throwout Bearing, Light or stock flywheel & 6 flywheel & PP Bolts as well as transmission stretch bolt kit (A4/A5 only))--
*Lightened flywheels are not recommended for a TDI due to excessive vibration and the fact that diesel cars do not rev as quickly as a gasser--and the only real reason for a lightened flywheel is to help the engine rev faster--hence, a lightened flywheel is not needed!
-G60 or Lightened Flywheel with SACHS 228mm VR6 clutch kit --- $399 shipped (Best seller) ($475 shipped to Canada FedEx with me picking up the duty fees)

*Note on the following upgrade kits:
I called up many of my vendors and looked into providing SPEC stage I, II etc... Come to find out that they have a lot of VR6 and 1.8T owners that return the kits because they fall apart on them. SPEC only carries Aluminum flywheels, which are too light for the TDI. Another thing they do is offer kits with your existing dual mass flywheel, which will potentially fall apart on you if you go with a lot of power. Regardless, because of that I have put together the following kits. All are handmade and tested at the factory. The Power clutch kit is really a mild improvement over the VR6, and is mostly offered as a middle ground. Interestingly enough however my vendor cautions that if you're a torque monster you should steer away from this and stick with either the VR6 or the steel back kit. Furthermore the billet kit is overkill unless you are a turbo VR6 developing over 500 hp. The best upgrade is the dual diaphram cover; it comes with a 20 lb. steel single mass flywheel, maintains stock driveability, and will more than handle any power and torque a TDI could ever throw at it. If you're wary about the VR6 then that's the way to go!

-G60 or Lightened FW & Power clutch kit with bolts (1150 lb. clamp load) --- $599 shipped ($649 to Canada--no duty fees)
-G60 or Lightened FW, dual diaphragm cover, steel back 228mm disc (1750 lb. clamp load) --- $649 shipped w/extra bolt kit (Recommended upgrade)
-G60 or Lightened FW, billet clutch cover, your choice steel or sintered 215mm disc (2000+ lb.) --- $1195 shipped ($1249 to Canada, again duty free)

--NOTE--
Many gurus state that this additional 6-bolt kit is required for all A4 & A5 clutch kits:
2x N10209603
2x N10268302
1x N10246603
1x N90597001
Included free of charge in all kits, otherwise available for $20 shipped

-A4/A5 Crankshaft seal 06A 103 171A --- $40 shipped
-A3/B4 Crankshaft seal 068 103 171F --- $40 shipped

Cheers!
-BB

Last edited:

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Very tempting.

I'd like to hear more about these dual diaphram clutch kits from someone thats been driving with one. Sounds like the best of both worlds if they retain stock drivability and are somewhat bulletproof.

Who is the manufacturer?

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
The dual diaphram kit is imported by a performance clutch guy in England. He starts with a SACHS pressure plate and modifies everything from there. The disc has a steel back reinforcement with riveting to the center hub (e.g. it's more rigid than the VR6). Springs on the hub are more heavy duty. Pedal feel is just like with the VR6 setup. It bolts right in just like the VR6 kit would. Torque ratings are for around 400+ lb. feet--the turbo VR6s and highly modded 1.8Ts love this kit. It will be the next kit that goes in my car... :)
Cheers,
-BB

Last edited:

BleachedBora

TDI
We have a list going! Thanks guys :)

Dual Diaphram Kit Signup Sheet
(Bold have already sent me payment)
1) Fix_until_broke '03 Jetta
2) Brew1 '03 Jetta

BleachedBora

TDI
And answered--meanwhile here is a comparison pic! :)
-BB

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
unitacx said:
So what is the advantage of this over a V6 kit?
If you do some research using the search function, you will find some members have gone beyond the limits of the the OEM VR6 kit and needed to upgrade again to a stronger clutch as they continued to mod their vehicles.

If your not planning additional mods, then you may be fine with the OEM VR6 setup, however if you may add further power mods, then you may want to consider this clutch, should be the last one you will need to install.

Pretty good package price as well.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Just got back from my first long highway drive with my newfound power (RC2 & PP502's). For the last couple weeks, I was unsure if I had a real clutch problem - just being optomistic. Noticed some hunting around in 3rd/4th when really getting after it - never spend enough time in 5th at speeds over 50 MPH to have any clutch issues.

I went to pass someone on the interstate before a gap closed up - stood on it in 5th (~2300 RPM) and the tach and boost gauge moved at the same speed in the same direction. SOaB - I guess my clutch problem is real (had this in the back of my mind, but kind of in denial - no question now).

Oh - and if you engage the cruise 5 MPH below the setpoint, it will slip the clutch for just a fraction of a second and then automatically stop trying. It must monitor slippage or RPM difference (only during cruise, as it'll let you slip it as much as you want on the pedal), but have wider tolerances than the A4 PD cars which have the 5th gear cruise problem.

7 more weeks....and more importantly, 8 more people to go!

Sebpt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (SOLD). 2005 MB E320 CDI
Clutch kit

Please add me to the list for the G60/dual diaphram kit

Thanks
Sebastien

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Please add me to the list for the following:
G60 or Lightened FW, dual diaphragm cover, steel back 228mm disc
Thanks
Mishkaya

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
I'll take the group buy kit with a standard weight flywheel - unless you can find a heavier one =)

I'll take the 20th AE rear brake upgrade from you BBBB at the same time too.

BleachedBora

TDI
That makes 5! Cool, we're halfway! :)

Dual Diaphram Kit Signup Sheet--Standard G60 flywheels unless noted
(Bold have already sent me payment--makes things easier for me to track!)
1) Fix_until_broke '03 Jetta
2) Brew1 '03 Jetta
3) Sebpt '03 Jetta
4) mr.mindless '02 Jetta
+20th Anniversary rear brake upgrade kit
5) Mishkaya '06 Jetta

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
BB; Per our exchange earlier today, I am leaning towards being #6. Count me as a strong maybe;) . I am glad a I have a bit more time to ponder:confused: . Bob

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
BleachedBora said:
it's used on many of the highly modded turbo VR6 and 1.8T cars without slippage, and I think that it would be a great choice for us TDIs.
maintains stock driveability, and will more than handle any power and torque a TDI could ever throw at it. If you're wary about the VR6 then that's the way to go!
it'll handle more power.

T-Y

TDI
2005 PD Jetta Wagon
I just order PD Race injectors, the ECU flash that Kerma offers, and FMIC. Thinking about changing to a VNT-20 at some point. I'm guessing that I'm gonna need a new clutch eventually. What do you guys recommend for the injectors/flash/FMIC? If I upgrade the turbo?

BleachedBora

TDI
Fase & Tyler,
Some guys have put my hybrid turbo on stock cars because they want something that's robust and will last a long time no matter what is thrown at it. In a similar fashion for those that don't want to worry at all and like to abuse clutches from time to time, this is the way to go. If you are going to be easy on things all the time then perhaps the VR6 is the way to go. It all comes down to a matter of personal driving habits as well as how much power you are developing. If you're pushing a ton of power though (like it looks like Tyler might end up doing) then perhaps the dual diaphram kit is the better choice...
Hope that helps a bit, others feel free to chime in.
-BB

T-Y

TDI
2005 PD Jetta Wagon
BB-
I want to wait until my new stuff comes in, should be here by the end of the week. That'll give me a couple of weeks to see how the stock clutch holds up. I'm guessing I'm going to want to upgrade so put me down for a very strong maybe... I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
So BB, I'm sorry for the redundancy, but to the best of your knowledge, the Dual Diaphram clutch should be as close to stock feeling/sounding as the VR6 combo?

BleachedBora

TDI
That is correct--there will be a very small difference, but if you want to exercise your foot buy a Porsche instead of this kit! :D
-BB

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Hi BB, is this dual diaphragm clutch disc noisy when the clutch pedal is not press at idle?. Found out the VR6 disc is very noisy on a TDI. with the stronger springs, how is it?

Currently running a SACHS VR6 P/P with SACHS TDI DISC and no vibration at all, way better compare to the full VR6 kit.

Last edited:

BleachedBora

TDI
Everything I hear says that the noise is a product of the flywheel, which is identical to the flywheel on the VR6 kits. I think most of it has to do with installation, since some cars are very loud and most are very quiet, although they have identical transmissions and identical parts...
Canadian orders will be duty free, and be delivered by the 13th of July. Everyone else might have to wait a few extra days as my vendor is out of flywheels, but he anticipates having them well before the time I need them. I am just putting out the info I have--I do not anticipate a delay, but one week is possible...I'll keep everyone informed with updates.
Meanwhile, for those that have signed up I do need payment when possible, since I have a huge order to put in to get these to my place :).
Thanks!
-BB

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Everyone keep saying it comes from the flywheel, I didn't test on A4 but I've got 2 confirmation that it was the clutch disc, on a AAZ engine and 1Z

Experience #1
Swap a VR6 clutch kit, resurface de flywheel, loud noise at idle
Swap the TDI Clutch Disc and kept the VR6 Pressure Plate, noise is gone right after

Experience #2
My friend, with a TD AAZ engine, swap a 1.8L 8v disc instead of a TD disc, got the same noise coming from the trans. He change the disc, problem was fixed

It looks like like the spring on the disc are not strong enough to handle the Diesel engine vibration, which would make the disc on the transmission shaft to shake at idle.

BleachedBora

TDI
Hmm...I won't argue with you! :) Still, it has been shown the lightweight flywheels chatter a lot more than the stock weight. Also, most of the cars I've heard that have had Oldpoopie or Fixum Haus install have had little to no chatter... My car chatters like crazy, and it was the guys first time changing one. I've seen similar things with other people who did a DIY. So regardless of the source of the chatter, I still believe that the installation has a lot to do with it.
YCCV (Your Chatter May Vary) :p
-BB

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
In return, I won't argue about the flywheel, but since A3/B4 keep the stock flywheel, the noise surely doesn't come from the Flywheel. :)

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
as per a recent discussion with SPEC techs... the noise is coming from the gearbox. The flywheel as it gets lighter does less and less to mask the noise of the transmission. The dual mass was specially designed to mask the sounds of their noisy tranny. Perhaps some installations are noisier because that tranny is just noisier. Again the lighter the wheel the noiser the sound, with some variation based on a proper install and whether you got a tight tranny from the factory or not.