If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
that's my concern, and why i mentioned it. I'm hoping Mazda has better quality control in Mexico than VW/BMW has.
Just fyi, I saw some Mazda 3's with a vin that starts with a "J" at the dealer lot few days ago, I would say about 10% of them were made in Japan.

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
My new one is over 80% Mexican built with almost nothing Japanese built. substitute Germany for Japan and the same applied to my JSW though.
While waiting for my ride home post buyback, I perused 3 VWs on the dealership floor. Two of the three had transmissions sourced from Japan per the window sticker.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
So, for automatics, the 1.4T Jetta, 1.8T Golf, FWD GSW, Beetle, Jetta, and Passat, 2.0T Tiguan, 3.6 CC, and 3.6 Touareg all use Aisin gearboxes.

Conversely, the GLI, GTI, 2.0T Beetle, 1.8T 4Motion GSW/Alltrack, 2.0T CC, and 3.6 Passat use DSGs. (And the e-Golf uses a single-speed, but the EPA counts it as an automatic, so...)

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
So this is my new baby I bought for 7k(taxes reg included).

1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4, 4.8L V8
Only has 91k miles on the clock, from a nice older gentleman wanting a new car before he retires.

I have a lot of things planned for the truck, all maintance done by me, but I'm gonna sound deaden the cabin, upgrade the battery, alternator, Air Intake, Head Unit, Gauge Cluster, Speakers, Floor Mats, Seat Covers.

I had this exact same truck. Ran great only thing that drove me crazy was the slipping in the rear yoke. slight bump when i came to a stop and a slight bump as i took off.

Dangerous_Dan

TDI
1998 Jetta, 2017 Jaguar XE 20d
My 2013 Jetta is now owned by VW. The buyback was very well done. Money in my account 2 days later.

In its place is a beautiful blue Jaguar XE 2.0 diesel. A fitting replacement for the Jetta.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
At this point I plan on keeping my Passat and getting the fix, assuming it is offered. But... wondering if anyone has looked at a 2014 or newer Honda Accord hybrid as a replacement for the Passat. Would love to hear any impressions on that car. Mileage is about the same but runs on gasoline, so cheaper per mile (at least in MN) and it sounds like it has a lot going for it in terms of ride, features, creature comfort, etc.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
I had this exact same truck. Ran great only thing that drove me crazy was the slipping in the rear yoke. slight bump when i came to a stop and a slight bump as i took off.
No way, I also have THAT TRUCK, color, topper and all. 276,000 miles, and it has the clunk just like you described! Is it anything I need to worry about?

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
I've looked at a bunch of cars. Nothing hits all the checkmarks that the Sportwagen did. I need in sorta descending order: sufficient rear compartment for two large dogs, not too big to fit into our garage (which is a little short), manual transmission unless a hybrid or simply not findable, good fuel economy, panoramic sunroof.

I looked at the Niro, and the cargo volume is pathetic. The Honda HR-V is a little too cheapish. Subaru Forester has a manual but it gets substantially worse economy than the CVT. 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 with FWD and manual would be ideal but finding one is a problem. They may have stopped making them. The Golf Sportwagen has a manual only in base trim. The Alltrack has manual in SE trim, it's available, but its mileage is meh. The Prius V hits everything but it isn't fun to drive and its acceleration is bleh. The Ford C-Max's cargo area is a little tight, but otherwise seems like an OK choice. The Outback may be too long for the garage, mileage is meh, and acceleration is tepid unless you get the V6.

Right now the most likely pick is the Alltrack. But my experience with VW tells me to run screaming from it. Blown turbo, blown engine, blown DPF, diesel scandal - honestly I don't know why I'm looking at another.

blaster668

TDI
2012 Jetta
I've looked at a bunch of cars. Nothing hits all the checkmarks that the Sportwagen did. I need in sorta descending order: sufficient rear compartment for two large dogs, not too big to fit into our garage (which is a little short), manual transmission unless a hybrid or simply not findable, good fuel economy, panoramic sunroof.

I looked at the Niro, and the cargo volume is pathetic. The Honda HR-V is a little too cheapish. Subaru Forester has a manual but it gets substantially worse economy than the CVT. 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 with FWD and manual would be ideal but finding one is a problem. They may have stopped making them. The Golf Sportwagen has a manual only in base trim. The Alltrack has manual in SE trim, it's available, but its mileage is meh. The Prius V hits everything but it isn't fun to drive and its acceleration is bleh. The Ford C-Max's cargo area is a little tight, but otherwise seems like an OK choice. The Outback may be too long for the garage, mileage is meh, and acceleration is tepid unless you get the V6.

Right now the most likely pick is the Alltrack. But my experience with VW tells me to run screaming from it. Blown turbo, blown engine, blown DPF, diesel scandal - honestly I don't know why I'm looking at another.
Have you looked into the new Jeep Compass that is hitting the market soon?

dkriewall

TDI
2011 Jetta
I had a 2011 Outback H 6 Prdmium. Good power, ok mpg, great awd, wonderful leather seats. Terrible hvac, weak brakes, and would not track worth a darn, despite various attempts to improve with changes in caster/camber (common problem). Wonderful car for everything but driving! Was ready to trade it after One year of frustration, but an Errant 18yr old teed us at an intersection and saved me the trouble. Best thing about that Subie, it took a good whacking and we were unhurt. But I will not buy another.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I had a 2011 Outback H 6 Prdmium. Good power, ok mpg, great awd, wonderful leather seats. Terrible hvac, weak brakes, and would not track worth a darn, despite various attempts to improve with changes in caster/camber (common problem). Wonderful car for everything but driving! Was ready to trade it after One year of frustration, but an Errant 18yr old teed us at an intersection and saved me the trouble. Best thing about that Subie, it took a good whacking and we were unhurt. But I will not buy another.
^^ There are far better track cars out there, check out a miata, porsche or BMW. Actually i see you already did! Awesome choice with the BMW!!!!

Cheekee

TDI
NO MORE 2012 Jetta TDI >> F150
I pulled the trigger on a 2017 F150 pickup yesterday ... parking the Jetta until it's bought back ... my extended warranty (never used ) is expiring in the next 700 kms , and I don't want to go over, only to have an expensive repair arise right before I turn it in ... I just retired , won't be commuting to Toronto anymore, and my family and I are really into dirt biking , so the pickup makes sense for us ... I bought a supercrew 2.7 litre ecoboost with the sport package, 20 inch wheels, Nav system, etc ... more bells and whistles than I've ever had ... insurance is considerably cheaper too , so that will offset the increased fuel costs a wee bit...... Looking forward to putting the whole emissions BS behind me ..... Cheers

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
^^ There are far better track cars out there, check out a miata, porsche or BMW. Actually i see you already did! Awesome choice with the BMW!!!!
I think what was meant there wasn't tracking as in driving it on a race track, but tracking as in ability to maintain a track.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW

I looked at the Niro, and the cargo volume is pathetic......
The cargo size in the Niro is indeed less than the JSW, and it's my only gripe besides the power, but i'm miffed how a difference 7.5" in length can make a difference of nearly 12 cubic feet. I'm calling BS somehow, unless the Niro's engine bay and front seats take up much more length than the JSW's did.
Anyone care to explain their thoughts?
I suppose I should take a measuring tape and compare...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This month I've had a Q3 and a Q5 as rentals. Left the airports with both of them under 500 miles. The Q3 had 70 miles on the od when I picked it up. I really loved how the Q5 road. Just kind of floated across the Iowa country side and got about 20 mpg. Comfort was head and shoulders above the JSW. The Q3, on the otherhand, left things a little lacking. The steering wheel only telescoped about half as far as needed. The seats were still more comfortable than the JSW but no where near as nice as the Q5. The Q3 also rode a little rougher, very comparable to the JSW. It might have been the roads but it is hard to imagine that the 403 and QEW are worse than I80 and I29.

dkriewall

TDI
2011 Jetta
By terrible tracking, I meant this car would wander off the road in a heartbeat if you did not keep two hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road ahead. It required constant mini steering inputs to keep it in one's lane. A 300 mile trip would wear you out. LOTS of complaints in Subie forums about the same problem. Prior to the Suburu, I had a 2011 Sonata turbo, and it had the exact opposite problem. The steering wheel wanted to return to center so bad that one had better have a firm grip while negotiating a curve, or it would take you off the road in the opposite direction. In comparison, my Jetta TDI tracks perfectly, with just the right amount of steering effort. But my old E46 (2001) BMW 330 was the absolute best in this regard. The newer BMW's with electric PS just do not have that feel.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
April - good or bad month for new car dealers?

I've read several stories lately, with arguments for both, i.e. April is a good month to negotiate for a new car since consumers are paying taxes and don't have disposable income to spend on a new car, OR, April is NOT a good month to negotiate with new car dealers because tax refund checks give consumers a solid down payment method, and hence shop for new cars more than in other months.
Anyone like to chime in with their opinions or personal experiences?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I've read several stories lately, with arguments for both, i.e. April is a good month to negotiate for a new car since consumers are paying taxes and don't have disposable income to spend on a new car, OR, April is NOT a good month to negotiate with new car dealers because tax refund checks give consumers a solid down payment method, and hence shop for new cars more than in other months.
Anyone like to chime in with their opinions or personal experiences?
Guessing more folks get a refund

But not necessarily in April

Zona

TDI
2011 Golf TDi sedan
I took my wife with me to the buyback Tuesday, and she really liked the blue GTI, so we bought a Sport for about $7300 more (out the door) than our buyback check. I did drive a Subaru Impreza 5-door last week. It was nice, but highway on-ramps required full throttle, and not impressive. The steering felt twitchy too, like there was no play at all. The GTI was ~ $2000 more, but much more quality feeling and faster.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
No way, I also have THAT TRUCK, color, topper and all. 276,000 miles, and it has the clunk just like you described! Is it anything I need to worry about?

You need to separate the driveshaft at the slip yoke, clean the splines (male and female) and re-grease with grease containing MOS2.

Tim

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
The cargo size in the Niro is indeed less than the JSW, and it's my only gripe besides the power, but i'm miffed how a difference 7.5" in length can make a difference of nearly 12 cubic feet. I'm calling BS somehow, unless the Niro's engine bay and front seats take up much more length than the JSW's did.
Anyone care to explain their thoughts?
I suppose I should take a measuring tape and compare...
The Niro is a hybrid right? Battery under the floor...

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
From this page (http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/niro/2017/hybrid%20system) it looks like the batteries are under the floor of the back seat so the hatch area should not be effected. I'm guessing it has more rear seat legroom. What I can't find is if the rear seats slide or recline like in some of the competition.
yes, it does has more legroom than a Prius V for example, but no, no reclining rear seats like the Prius V. So that's a third dislike, but i don't spend much time back there...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I am supposed to keep in mind grandkids and my kids when I think about the JSW replacement. Back seat comfort is not a priority but it will be used. Most of the time I've been in the back seat of my JSW is either when my daughter is driving or when the doctor told me I couldn't drive or even ride in the front seat. He didn't want to put my strenum back together again.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
My buddy's wife offered to sell me her mint condition 2013 R with 22,000 miles on it for around $25K if I do the buyback....They want to get an Audi All Road for their growing family.

What to do? It is 4 years old already....But, all I would have to spend on top of the buy back money is $5k for an R.

Decisions, decisions...

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
When I say I looked at the Niro, I mean I went to the dealer and had them open the hatch. There's hardly any length to the cargo area behind the rear seats. No room for one big dog, let alone two.

I'm also interested in the 2018 Chevy Equinox. Diesel engine coming later this year supposedly. Horsepower and torque are almost identical to the 2.0 CR, weight is within 100 lbs of the 2009 JSW, cargo area is similar. This could be the right car.

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen S TDI
I test drove a 17 GTI as well (Autobahn, I wanted leather). It was a pretty amazing car honestly. Fun, powerful, thrifty, and really well appointed/laid out interior.
It was my first choice; unfortunately I couldn't get any of 3 VW dealers near me in the DC area to work with me on getting the one I wanted (even though there were 4 available in DC area...). I actually found BMW dealers more accommodating than VW dealers; it was really pretty sad.
I was able to get the 2017 Sport GTI ( Silver ) yesterday. Got $5000.00 and some change, off sticker due to last day of month sale. I really like the Autobahn as well but decided on this one. Was going to wait until the new GTI 2018 hit the market but I have to turn my TDI in, in a few days. And I didn't want to waste money on a beater car to get to work and renting one is out of the question for a few months.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Bought a Niro. Love it.

So far, so good. Thanks VW for messing up and giving me the awesome down-payment on what seems to be a fine auto going forward. What I lost in cubic feet, I made up in technology, comfort, and from what i'm told, reliability.
I just wish I could have waited another year for discounting, but considering KIA still doesn't discount the Sportage, I figured it may be a while for the Niro.
KIA FTW. Feels like an Audi.