Resetting airbag light cheaply

LustForTDi

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Ok guys. I've been on this board long enough to head a lot of you off at the pass : )
I've searched and got nothing.
2002 Golf TDI manual
I need a cheap way to reset my airbag light. I called my local auto parts stores, and the mechanics they recommended, and no one will reset the airbag light for legal reasons. VW wants $50 to reset it. Besides changing glow plugs, oil, bulbs, and fuses all other work will be done by a mechanic. So, I don't want to spend $200+ for Vag-com.
I found this VW/Audi specific scanner that says it can reset the airbag light - u281 code reader
on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/U281-Trouble-...PUTU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320175254&sr=8-2
Here is a video showing a guy resetting his airbag light: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRE43rFoiG4
Before I spend the money, I was wondering if anyone has tried it?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If an intermittent problem has caused your airbag light to light, VCDS can clear it. If you have actually had an airbag deployment, it cannot be reset (legally) - the airbag controller must be replaced. Therefore, the real issue is why is your airbag light on? A VCDS scan would help, but has any of your airbags actually deployed?

Have Fun!

Don

LustForTDi

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Oops! I forgot to mention, I already had the code scanned. Driver side belt buckle receptacle. This means it could be the buckle or it could simply be a bad connection on the bottom of the seat. Either way, I need to be able to attempt a fix and reset the code to see if the light comes back on.

The bluedriver looks to be a simple code reader. It can reset a check engine light, but not an airbag light.

LustForTDi

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Ok guys! I know everyone is as excited as me! After googling for hours and joining a UK audi forum, I finally have my answer!

The U281 reader from Memoscan (memoscan.cn is the website) will reset the airbag light! Unfortunately, for the few posts where it worked, there was an equal amount where it gave an error code when trying to read the airbag system. But, when the company was contacted, they were told to update the software from the website.

I just don't understand how you update from the website, if it only has the car cable...

I just emailed the vendor on amazon to see if I can return it if it doesn't reset my airbag light.

If I order it, I'll definitely come back and let you guys know if it worked.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
VCDS will reset it.

But quite often the driver's side buckle (rather the switches built into it) are at fault, and it must be replaced or the code will come right back in.

VCDS will also let you test the buckle's switches.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Find a local GURU or VCDS owner many of them will scan or reset for free or beer.

LustForTDi

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Unfortunately, I live 2 hours away from the nearest metro area...

How much is VCDS?

TDproduction

TDI
mk4 jetta F350 6.0
I am having the same problem, where is the airbag controller located? I have a parts car that I can swap the controllers from.

robtechno

TDI
2015 Golf 2.0 TDI.Sport wagen 53K. Previously a Jetta 06 with 205K. A5-BRM,
Airbag light on

Pages and pages are written about AC malfunction but on this fault code I think it's M 199, no one has a clear answer.

Can some one tell me what code M199 or N199 is.

Thank you.
reg.
Rob

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
N199 is a device, an air bag igniter. This is a device that has an active electrical signal to it, that takes power - current flow- to ignite. If the computer sees a problem with the circuit it will throw a code.

It is not an error code, but is the subject of several error codes.
Go to http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01217 for some amplifying information.

You are best served by providing detailed information- all the info displayed by the error code. Not some vague guess.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Airbag light / wiring harness

VAGCOM gave me the below codes.... Quick question- Is the wiring harness for the door locks also the same or inlcude the wiring for the air bags? I'm having it looked at next week. Appreciate any info you guys can share.

01578 - Airbag Deactivation Warning Lamp; Passenger Side (K145)
009 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent - MIL ON

I also have two fault codes for the door locks....
01552 - Motor for Central Locking; Drivers Door (V56); Lock
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101100
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 40
Reset counter: 221
Mileage: 0 km
Time Indication: 0
00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00111000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 14
Reset counter: 221
Mileage: 0 km
Time Indication: 0

Binoo

TDI
2004 VW Jetta TDI 1.9L
revive!! bwahahha

ok so I had a common issue of the "clicking" sound in the dash board on my vw so I had to take out the airbag to remove the steering wheel. I now have an airbag light on my dash (I connected the airbag connector i'm 100% positive on that) that I can't even remove with my $800 Innova scanner :(. I guess VW's require a certain type of scanner to clear codes and ABS/SRS diagnostics ?

cheers

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
revive!! bwahahha

ok so I had a common issue of the "clicking" sound in the dash board on my vw so I had to take out the airbag to remove the steering wheel. I now have an airbag light on my dash (I connected the airbag connector i'm 100% positive on that) that I can't even remove with my $800 Innova scanner :(. I guess VW's require a certain type of scanner to clear codes and ABS/SRS diagnostics ?

cheers
Just removing the air bag should not have set a code. However if you turned the ignition on while it was disconnected, then yes a code would be set. You will need a VCDS to read and clear any air bag code.

Southside tdi

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2d 6M, 1998 Jetta TDI 5M
I had an airbag light on in my chevy pickup,
the stealer wanted $1200 to replace the passenger seat sensor, come to find out it was one of my boys feet had kicked teh connector under the seat, and broke a wire off.

I "JUST" posted a cheap OBD scan tool I got on amazon under the ODB forum,
i can check it and see if it has the airbag codes when i get home.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
revive!! bwahahha

that I can't even remove with my $800 Innova scanner :(. I guess VW's require a certain type of scanner to clear codes and ABS/SRS diagnostics ?

cheers
Kinda like taking a knife to a gun fight. You really need to use a scan tool that is compatible with the car you are working on.

You could buy the $8000 VAS tool the VW dealers use, but it will do close to nothing on a Toyota.

bumba007

TDI
mk3 gl auto
Ab light after amp install

Just removing the air bag should not have set a code. However if you turned the ignition on while it was disconnected, then yes a code would be set. You will need a VCDS to read and clear any air bag code.
Hi I only wired up my amp and ab light on when I removed the drivers side lower piller must touched something that's caused the fault. I can clear codes with laptop and software downloaded but won't show any code for ab

tdialb

TDI
Jetta TDI
I know this is a old thread but I also was looking for reset the airbag light after accidentally turning on the ignition when airbag was off. Cheap Autozone and Adance Auto Scanners don't read airbag codes.

The cheapest solution was to rent the YOUCANIC scanner and just do it myself. Just go to the YOUCANIC website and you can rent their full system scanner. Shipping back and forth was included. Cheaper than going to the dealer. I ended up using the scanner to diagnose an issue on my BMW as well.