20k service question

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
I just found out the dealer wants 600$(with tax) to do this.
Is there a list of recommended service providers that can do this service here?
I searched but did not find one.
Would it void my warranty not having it done at the dealer?
Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just tell them you want the required 20k service items done (it is in your owner's manual), not all the added on "fluff". No reason it should be $600.

Oil change

Tire rotation

Fuel filter

Cabin filter

SRI reset

DEF fill

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
The cabin filter and DEF you can usually do yourself.

Since I swap to winters I don't bother with tire rotations.

The Oil change and Fuel filter change shouldn't be more than $250 together.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Just tell them you want the required 20k service items done (it is in your owner's manual), not all the added on "fluff". No reason it should be $600.
Oil change
Tire rotation
Fuel filter
Cabin filter
SRI reset
DEF fill
Right on....

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Oil change
Tire rotation
Fuel filter
Cabin filter
SRI reset
DEF fill
Yep, that's what they listed. 590$ plus tax.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Is there a list of recommended servicers here somewhere?
Also, i don't know if i'm required to go with he dealer for warranty reasons.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
You're not required to go to the dealer to maintain warranty.

Where are you in CA?

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
I just found out the dealer wants 600$(with tax) to do this.
Is there a list of recommended service providers that can do this service here?
I searched but did not find one.
Would it void my warranty not having it done at the dealer?
Thanks!

holy crap! $600 :eek::eek::eek:

i just did this after spending $100+ for a 20k kit from IDParts. hardest part was changing the oil, lol.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you're up for trekking to San Anselmo, Matt Phelan is a great guru and will do the service for far less, I'm confident. He's Matt-98AHU here.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I just paid <$400.00 for the 40K service at my dealer. No tire rotation as I just had new fronts put on, and I did my own fuel filter.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
I recently performed the "20k" service on my wife's 2015. $100 from IDParts including the one time purchase of their drain tool, which is almost a necessity in my mind. Agreed that the hardest part is the oil change, with getting the belly pan off not far behind it. Took me a little over an hour everything included, but this was more exploratory as this was my first time working on the car since we got it. Also peace of mind knowing everything was done and done correctly. We are keeping a detailed log of all maintenance performed on this car, as the dealer we bought from reassured me we should have no issues with the warranty as long as we can provide documentation.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
California tax?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Oil change
Tire rotation
Fuel filter
Cabin filter
SRI reset
DEF fill
I got all that done plus a brake fluid flush for $335.32 out the door so I guess I didn't do too badly price wise. It was a Tucson VW dealership. I know I could have done it myself but they did it all in less than 2 hours and I have the peace of mind that the correct fluids were used.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Just make sure there isn't something else on there because I've read the dealership tracks service via VIN so you might ask for a "20K service" but the VIN automatically spits out that service plus a DSG service (for example).

If you can't get service from Matt, there is another Matt up in Medford. He's a BMW guy but I know his shop works on VW gassers, too, and he can follow directions and read an oil can label, which is more than I can say for the dealerships with any certainty!

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
I got all that done plus a brake fluid flush for $335.32 out the door so I guess I didn't do too badly price wise. It was a Tucson VW dealership. I know I could have done it myself but they did it all in less than 2 hours and I have the peace of mind that the correct fluids were used.
Might be worth the drive to AZ. LOL.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Just make sure there isn't something else on there because I've read the dealership tracks service via VIN so you might ask for a "20K service" but the VIN automatically spits out that service plus a DSG service (for example).

If you can't get service from Matt, there is another Matt up in Medford. He's a BMW guy but I know his shop works on VW gassers, too, and he can follow directions and read an oil can label, which is more than I can say for the dealerships with any certainty!
Would be good to have someone up there as well since i'm in Southern O a lot. I'd appreciate his contact.
Probably i'll get this done with Matt or Greg down here.
Greg @ Autohuas quoted $375 w/ out the tire rotation $400 with it.
I'm hoping matt's quote will be a little less.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Thanks for all the replies!
I'm not much of a DIY guy when it comes to modern cars.
Now that i got a couple good alternatives to the dealer my DPF light just went on!
Since i'm under warranty i'll probably have to go into them for this reason but still get the service elsewhere.
Just said Diesel Particulate Filter and an icon for it stayed on. Didn't say what was up with it.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Thanks for all the replies!
I'm not much of a DIY guy when it comes to modern cars.
Now that i got a couple good alternatives to the dealer my DPF light just went on!
Since i'm under warranty i'll probably have to go into them for this reason but still get the service elsewhere.
Just said Diesel Particulate Filter and an icon for it stayed on. Didn't say what was up with it.
Probably/hopefully it just needs to driven for more than 10 miles to allow for a good regeneration

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Would be good to have someone up there as well since i'm in Southern O a lot. I'd appreciate his contact.
Probably i'll get this done with Matt or Greg down here.
Greg @ Autohuas quoted $375 w/ out the tire rotation $400 with it.
I'm hoping matt's quote will be a little less.
Here's the shop:

http://aaronsautowerks.com
Aaron is the BMW equivalent of our gurus around here.
Matt is his VW guy; not TDIs but he can certainly handle service issues.

If you like Harley's you can go to my dad's shop but let's save that for when you're down and out because it's stressful watching him gorilla his way around German engineering to put it politely :p

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Probably/hopefully it just needs to driven for more than 10 miles to allow for a good regeneration
Yeah, the light was off when i drove today! Lately i haven't been driving much. Probably drove under 7 mi when it came on the other day.
I thought the re-gen could finish on it's own w/ out having to drive during them.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
It won't regenerate while the engine is off. If you get out of your car while its regenerating the fans will kick on to cool everything down and it resets a regeneration to restart some time down the road. The only way to tell before you turn off the car (if you're not running gauges) is if the idle kicks up to about 1k.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Here's the shop:

http://aaronsautowerks.com
Aaron is the BMW equivalent of our gurus around here.
Matt is his VW guy; not TDIs but he can certainly handle service issues.

If you like Harley's you can go to my dad's shop but let's save that for when you're down and out because it's stressful watching him gorilla his way around German engineering to put it politely :p
Ha! Thanks! I'll put matt @ arronsautowerks in my book to look up if needed.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
It won't regenerate while the engine is off. If you get out of your car while its regenerating the fans will kick on to cool everything down and it resets a regeneration to restart some time down the road. The only way to tell before you turn off the car (if you're not running gauges) is if the idle kicks up to about 1k.
Thanks. yeah i thought the region was still going from the fan sound. Good to know it starts over when u restart.