2011 Jetta Sportswagen radio died.

mbaldwin40

TDI
2011 Volkswagen jetta sportwagen
My radio stopped working yesterday. Screen is black and wont power back on. I tried to reset with the power button and holding it down for a while and nothing. My phone is still connected but can't make bluetooth calls. I also checked the Fuses and can't seem to find which one it is. I read something about it being 42 and 15. Has anyone had this problem?

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
Very common with the 2010 and 2011 RCD-510's. It's a failure of a component on the main circuit board. The easiest thing to do is replace the radio with a newer version.

jcruse64

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Has happened to me twice with our 2010 Jetta. These radios have their own fuse, but you have to pull part of the surround on the dash, and pull the radio out to get to it and check; it's on the back of the radio itself. 2 years ago, the original died, like yours. Dealer put in a new replacement for me. Was going to charge me over $700 for it, but I balked and argued hard for no payment, and we finally agreed to $175. Radio #2 died a few months ago, after just over 2 years of use. I then started looking on-line, and found this place, and some threads about similar happenings to other owners, and the issues that the 1st Gen radios had, and the advice to go with a newer model radio. User BarryT82 sells these radios, when he has inventory, so you might PM and ask if he has what you need. He sold me one, and gave me a YT link showing how to do the replacement myself, and we have tunes again for our Jetta. Barry has a good rep on here, so I would not hesitate to buy from him, myself. Other options include looking on eBay, or an aftermarket replacement.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Bought mine from BarryT82 also when mine went out 2013 or so and highly recommend him. DIY replacement is not too hard. replaced my model XXXXXX-AC unit with a XXXXXX-AE unit, they have seemed more reliable and a simple plug and play.

One thing to be aware of.... some have found that even though the unit seems dead it might still be pulling power and can run your battery dead.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I went with the Chinese market take out to replace my dead radio, it was quite cheap 150 perhaps and although I cant be sure, I think it integrates with my Bluetooth better than the stock one did. super easy install, my wife did it for me. It took her a bit of fumblery to change the language from Chinese, but the settings icon is the standard gear looking thing, so its a simple enough task.

Kite_rider

TDI
2010 JSW
Same issue with my 2010 JSW. The radio will come back on once in awhile and even when the screen is black I can get it into a mode where I can hear the touch screen buttons being pushed (meaning the radio is partially on even when it looks like it's off). Was wishing that someone would find a root cause for the radio failure so it could be repaired. The fact that it comes on occasionally (and works fine then) tells me that it's probably an issue with the power delivery to the unit.

If I can't fix the radio I'll probably try out the cheap Chinese options out there. Some feature backup camera support and I'm hoping the Bluetooth functionality is better (though it was OK on the original radio - just clunky to get it streaming ).

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
My radio stopped working yesterday. Screen is black and wont power back on. I tried to reset with the power button and holding it down for a while and nothing. My phone is still connected but can't make bluetooth calls. I also checked the Fuses and can't seem to find which one it is. I read something about it being 42 and 15. Has anyone had this problem?
Happened to me too, I was so bummed out. Turns out the chinese ebay unit to replace it came quick and was easy to install. I was quickly on my way and the new one is high res too.

I'm turning in my JSW under buyback and I will put the bad stereo back in. I have the chinese one I bought (works great) that I'd be willing to sell cheap if anyone wants one