How to Remove B4 Rear Suspension

chevere

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
I looked in Mitchell and the time called for 1.5 hours, but a local technician told me to expect around 3 because all of the interior components that need to be removed. I hear that I need to start ripping panels off JUST to get the shocks off. I looked back there last night and it looks like a nightmare. How do I get that cover off behind the rear seats with the seatbelt cover? Thanks much.

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
Two prolific contributors, kooyajerms and Lug Nut, provided superior photos and details on this specific topic which I used when I R&R'd my rear struts and brakes two years ago this February.

Kooyajerms link is:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=227143 or Google:Having your local mechanic install your suspension? B4V.

Lug Nut's link is:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=163110 or Google: How to: B4V rear shock access

I save the printed write-ups on all of my previous projects on my 1997 Passat so I could find this information quickly. I have found over the years (since 2003) that the "Search" or "Advanced Search" for the TDIClub hasn't been particularly easy to master for instant information access which is why I rely on a fast computer and Google.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm sure: thank you all for your input. You have saved me thousands of dollars but greatly enriched my life.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
1.5 hrs seems generous. i think that's how long it took me at the junk yard (first time), and i had to fight one of the back seats that was locked in place. You don't even have to remove the tires.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Is this for a sedan or wagon? The sedan's are easy, just remove the top of the seatbelt housing from the seat by inserting a screwdriver horizontally. It'll engage a catch and release diagonally. The Bentley shows this pretty good. The bolts are underneath, but only 2 of them need to come off (the others are nuts). Then you twist the top of the strut 1/4 turn and it'll release the plastic keeper from the car (keep it straight so you don't snap the tabs). Once you get the seatbelt housing off, you'll see how everything is assembled. Underneath the car it's just a 19mm bolt that can be accessed without removing the brake or e-brake assembly.

I've had mine off a few times to adjust the Koni Reds and install new springs. No experience with a B4V (wagon), sorry.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I still use that thread to figure out how to access the rears =) I'm glad it was helpful. It's too bad the title would be hard for anyone to search for.

Here is a how to also if you need more angles of it all.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a3b4/strut-replace-jetta-passat.htm

This is what Abacus is talking about (hopefully it's very similar on the sedan)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
On the sedan, the belt guide comes off differently according to the Bentley. You insert a screwdriver underneath it and twist, which releases the catch. Here is a snapshot:

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat B4V
JUst make sure when you do the rears that the car is not jacked up or supported on the rear beam. If you do it will be very hard to remove the shocks as the rear beam which supports the bottom of the shock will not move easily.

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Removing that black seat belt lead on top was the most difficult part for me. The retainer is along the front edge of the plastic, about midway, and down an inch or two. You'll know you find it when you push forward and the front edge releases, allowing you to pull up. Picture coming.