What did you do to your car today?

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
Oh soo nice. I want an R32 front BADLY. where'd ya get it and how much?
I found them on a local craigslist ad here in the bay area. $800 for both bumpers. Both were brand new (so no paint), OEM, US spec.

I could have probably saved a little money buying used ones, but everything I saw was cracked/dented/scratched/etc. Fixable...but cost goes up when the a shop has to sand and repair before painting.

I'd been trolling around here, Craigslist and vwvortex for months before I came across this.

I'm super happy with look. Now I need to figure out a place for the front License plate. I don't want to drill any holes. Magnets maybe? I don't know...

Best of luck finding what you want.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
Interested to see how that works if you try it!
http://www.mcmaster.com/#rare-earth-magnets/=c5wmqv
Yeah...I actually have the earth magnets. They ARE strong, I will say that.

I'll re-post after I do the job. I'll tether the license plate to the car for the initial test drive after I put it on in case the magnets don't hold. That way I don't have to explain to my insurance company how my license plate cracked the windshield of the person driving behind me. :eek:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Just got my car back from AlphaSeinor. Had a Six-Speed swap performed and installed a new SouthBend stage 3 Clutch kit with single mass flywheel, and threw in a Sigma-6 short shift kit. I LOVE IT!!!! I can cruise I-30 back and forth at my usual 80mph, but now at 2200 rpms instead of 3000.

AlphaSeinor did a fantastic job and at a great price, too.
Welcome to the club Derek :cool:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I found them on a local craigslist ad here in the bay area. $800 for both bumpers. Both were brand new (so no paint), OEM, US spec.

I could have probably saved a little money buying used ones, but everything I saw was cracked/dented/scratched/etc. Fixable...but cost goes up when the a shop has to sand and repair before painting.

I'd been trolling around here, Craigslist and vwvortex for months before I came across this.

I'm super happy with look. Now I need to figure out a place for the front License plate. I don't want to drill any holes. Magnets maybe? I don't know...

Best of luck finding what you want.

Now you need to get a dual exit exhaust mocked up to make the rear match up =)

I'm glad you got both since that front end is HUGE without a HUGE rear end.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Now you need to get a dual exit exhaust mocked up to make the rear match up =)

I'm glad you got both since that front end is HUGE without a HUGE rear end.
IMO, the R32 rear is a little goddy. I'd install one if I had one, but going through the hassle to make a functional dual exhaust is a PITA for something that isn't even a big visual upgrade IMO of course. Now the front, well, the mkiv r32 front is just pure vw sex lol.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Finished putting in a Pioneer double din AVI 4300DVD touch screen head unit in HER (daughter's) 2005 Passat TDI. Also wired in an Infinity 10" Basslink unit in the trunk. I guess my daughter will never grow up (music lover). :rolleyes:

I hate working under dashboards.:(

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Just drove the Jetta today from Coeur d'Alene, ID to Billings MT with the cruise set to 80. Got 49.16mpg!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
If you rally want a front license plate, consider to buy one of these R32 tow hook license plate holder

It bolts right into the tow hook spot. You just make a little hold in the grill for it co come out of. Remember.. those are reverse threads...
I don't know if it just that the p'shopping of those plates makes them stand out more in those pics, but IMHO they all look WORSE then just having the plate in the proper place!!! Believe me, I think front plates are STUPID, but those offset ones just make the plate even that much more of an eyesore. Just my $0.02 though ;) :D !!

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
Well, tried to do the all auto windows mod. Got it like 90% working, but something went horribly wrong with the membrane portion of the switch. The soldering electronic part works 100%, but once you assemble the switch, oddball crap starts happening. Gave up, combed forums and eBay, picked up a couple more windows switches to try to do it right this time. So far, this is a beating.

ScanGauge came back from being upgraded, so started mounting it above the rear view mirror and starting the wiring for the W8 panel (which is on backorder at ECS) and the RADAR detector.

Going to work on the heated seat switch mod...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Oil and filter change, tire rotation.

M1 ESP 5w30 out, Red Line 0w40 in. I had suspected my tire pressure was low due to my lower than normal MPG for conditions, they were at 30 PSI :eek: pumped them up to 40 PSI.
Samples for analysis

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Is that fuel on the right Bob? Hope so and looking forward to viewing the report!
Used oil on the left, new oil on the right.

I am still waiting to hear back from the lab to seal the deal on the fuel/Seafoam testing...

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I guess that doesn't look much like diesel. I've been looking at so much bio in clear containers lately that it looked like fuel to me. Hope you work something out for fuel testing.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Washed, clayed and waxed the hell out of my car. it was a great day. JAX gtg tomorrow... ready

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Longbox

Promptly broke my front windscreen from the inside with a long, heavy box from the local flat-pack furniture store + hard braking...lol. I love looking through a spiderweb!

-M.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
don't feel bad. I had a small crack in my windshield, and while washing my car, I somehow made it a long three way crack!. but at least it is on the far passenger side!!

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
don't feel bad. I had a small crack in my windshield, and while washing my car, I somehow made it a long three way crack!. but at least it is on the far passenger side!!
Ja, I don't feel bad, just feel as if I should be hauling big boxes around with my broken window instead of having 'faster' car drivers wondering if I have stolen this (my smoky, paid for) car!!! Lol. C'mon Speedy Glass!

-M.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Replaced the air & cabin filters. Got my box of fluids and filters all ready to go and see www.jsperformance.ca tomorrow for the 30k service!!

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Installed my new Kerma tune via Qloader. Runs like a scaled dog right now, a little to much smoke for my taste so we will have to get that dialed in.

mgac716

TDI
2004 Jetta 1.9 1995 Jetta1.6n/a
Last week, Replaced Water temp sensor, changed Serp belt, New Glow plugs under recall... TODAY! a deer ran right into the side of my car! took out the rear quarter, dents in the roof pillar. dam thing ran away afterwords, didnt even get a chance to throw him in the freezer!

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Well....had the timing belt changed and front springs and bushings replaced by JollyGreenGiant and he nailed it as usual, had it aligned and then drove it to Michigan State on Thursday to pick up the oldest son. 14 hours straight through..oof. packed it tight as a drum Friday morning and headed off to Mexico NY to see my aunt and the family homestead and then up this morning and drove back to Eastern Mass. A couple thousand miles in a couple days...tomorrow it/I need a rest...phew.

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
Last week, Replaced Water temp sensor, changed Serp belt, New Glow plugs under recall... TODAY! a deer ran right into the side of my car! took out the rear quarter, dents in the roof pillar. dam thing ran away afterwords, didnt even get a chance to throw him in the freezer!
Damn that sucks. At least when I hit my deer back in December the deer lost!:eek:

SilverTwin

TDI
'05 Golf
Cleaned the intake, popped on a new egr since mine was leaking, new fuel filter, and ended up replacing a mile of vacuum hoses.

First intake cleaning was @~100K shortly after I bought it, really clogged. It was probably down to the diameter of a dime. Today @ 209K, wasn't too bad at all.

Finish up from the intake cleaning and noticed the brakes felt really stiff and non responsive. Quick check of the booster identified the problem, cracked vacuum hose.

Replaced the brake booster hose and went for a test drive, really down on power, quick look over found yet another vacuum hose so I decided to just replace them all.

Hopefully I'm good for another 100K.

DCdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
So I had my Monsoon double din die on me about a year and a half ago. I replaced it and since then it's been on a shelf. I decided to tear it apart and see if I could paint the face reflex silver to match the cars exterior. Turns out it was pretty easy. The toughest part was getting all the awful soft touch out of the tight areas. Just something simple for cheap that makes a big difference. Let me know what you guys think. If there's any interest I might do a DIY. :)