2006 Jetta TDI- No Crank/no start, stuck in park :/

Burgess713

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
2006 Jetta, TDI, Automatic with bump shift.
I’ve read many threads on this but none of the solutions seemed to work in my case so here is my desperate attempt to get this car going...
Car ran fine, wife parked it in driveway. Next time she got in, no crank, no start and it’s stuck in park.

What I’ve done:
Replaced battery
Check fuses in dash and under hood 3 times
Replace brake light switch - brake lights turn on when brake is pressed
Pulled ignition switch out and tried to start car with screw driver
Bench tested starter at autozone, it works
Car makes no attempt to start, lights come on when you turn the key, but nothing happens, starter doesn’t budge. Dealer said it probably isn’t the computer.
Manually took car out of park to neutral, testily didn’t start.
Blanketed car with a wide variety of obscenities.

Next course of action is to test the shift lock solenoid. Anything else between the ignition switch and starter I can check?

Thanks in advance.
-Matt

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, should have started there.

You need to see if the Steering Column Module sees the key turned to the crank position. Then you need to ask the Transmission controller (the M-unit) if it is getting the correct value from the Gear Selector control unit in the car.

Of course, by now your poking around has certainly caused a pile of DTCs, so you'll have to clear that all out and start from scratch.

No, an Autozone scan tool won't work. You need something that speaks Volkswagen, and can talk to all the modules in the car.

www.ross-tech.com has an excellent one.

Last edited:

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
I have the very same problem, just started happening in May 2019 on a 2006.5 Special Edition. I will be following this thread and reporting what I find. My Interstate Battery was installed in 2006 and will be going in for test tomorrow. I know how aggravating this can be, and we have to report causes here. I have the Ross-Tech and will report my codes. Sharing your pain.

Mine has done this three times, and just prior to a failure, upon shut down, I heard the system go "dead" with a little whine. It would restart after a short rest. I got stranded with the latest event, so this is serious and real, now. I've been making short five mile drives as of recent and this may be causing undue stress?

Last edited:

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Many fault codes and Status Cannot be reached

My battery voltage was about 12.1 V when I returned to the car today. No Joy. Towed home. I ran Autoscan using VCDS and in 1 min 23 Seconds, the batt voltage dropped from 12 to 11.9 and most of the systems cam up with fault code 1100 or 0010 with Status cannot be reached. The only systems checking in OK are the imobilizer 25 and Door Electrical 52. all the other systems are red. Important issues 01314 ECM-004 no Signal, 01516 ; Terminal 30; Left 011 Open Circuit. Many other codes thrown, all related to no communication.

I will take the battery out tonight and have it checked in the AM. Seems that I may have some Battery or grounding issues. Battery is less than 3 years old and is the right one for this car from Interstate.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
12.1 is a dead battery, I don’t know where you got it checked but unless you charged it up and it held a charge, you need a new battery. Just running the auto scan for 1.5 minutes and the voltage dropping below 12 is not a good sign for your battery.

Fully charged your battery should be 12.6-12.8 , 12.4-12.5 is a good battery with a decent charge. 12.2-12.3 is marginal, below 12.2 is dead.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The car's OBD should communicate just fine down to around 11.5v, though. I agree the battery may not be 100%, but that is not the entire issue here.

demhaizar

TDI
Jetta TDI 2006, 328d X-Drive, 2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Same thing happened to my MK5 Jetta TDi about 2yrs ago(270K), have VCDS cable no DTCs listed,

tried new relay 460,

tried new battery,

tested starter and alternator at local auto parts store worked there no issues,

checked the grounds individually and cleaned them,

tried jumping,

no joy, total frustration,

finally purchased a NEW STARTER, started like nothing was ever wrong
...just my experience. Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
Relay 460 is the gem! Thanks Frank06

Lucky me. I picked up a 460 relay from VW for $22 and replaced the left hand position under the drivers LH Dash (What a pain in the arse to access this thing) . Upon turning the key, the multi-function display came right up with the proper visuals and the car started fine. Else where in this forum, I remember a guy saying, "I'm going to keep a spare in my glove compartment". To be honest, I think that is a good idea, as long as you keep a T20 available to find your way under there in the depths of the bowels of the dash.

Last edited:

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
The 460 relay is available on other sources for $10 +/-. I'm agonna git me one more!