New to TDI but not VW

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Replaced the damaged glow plug harness with a new one that a member here had for sale.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
What are the lows that you see in FL?

Although functional, I've never been a fan of the cut and splice method. The PO of my sedan did it that way, but they spliced on the car side of the harness.... needless to say, it bugs me.

-Todd

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Correct will never need it but it cleared a CEL. So how did you fix the your problem?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Other than look at the splice, nothing.

I'm not going to chase and replace both feeds from the GO relay. I'll likely just replace enough so the splice is hidden under the factory loom. This will necessitate a new GP buss harness.

This is purely aesthetic, and as mentioned the current set up is fully functional. Too many irons in the fire to mess with this now.

-Todd

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Simply buy an appropriate 2-pin connector from VW if you want it to look factory...

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's only half of the problem. The splice is at the wires that enter the OOD, not the ones leaving it.

-Todd

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Need some guidance on Boost issue. Have search the forum for Limp mode but all it come up are for A4 VNT .... All vacuum hoses, including the one in the ECU, have been replaced, N75 is New. Have a Bosh Boost gauge to keep an eye on Boost. The issue happen when i get off the Hwy after a 20 min drive. Boost pegs at 15psi and feels like there no Boost. Turn the car off at a light, then on and i have Boost again, gauge going pass 15psi and i can feel a big difference. Have check all hoses for leaks including the intake boost pipes.
Thank you

Last edited:

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Installed a new MAF....(OEM was bad)...Wow what a difference. Also replaced the PCV..Car is fun to drive again.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Definitely not bad for a JY find. What did you do to lower it?

You need the obligatory pic of a wad of $100s, a kitten, etc., to showcase the dish.

I've been ready to install my coil overs and wheels, but it'd force me to buy a winter beater...

-Todd

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Definitely not bad for a JY find. What did you do to lower it?
You need the obligatory pic of a wad of $100s, a kitten, etc., to showcase the dish.
I've been ready to install my coil overs and wheels, but it'd force me to buy a winter beater...
-Todd
Lol...I installed eibach Pro kit. come with everything to lower the car 1.5-2".
Struts & shocks, lowering springs. Also have the front and rear sway bars. I have coilover in my VR6 and i find them a tad harsh.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yikes, and FL roads are glass, compared to NJ...

-Todd,

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Yikes, and FL roads are glass, compared to NJ...

-Todd,
Not really....Sure we dont get much Pot holes, but the roads here are far from glass. Lot of sand here. Black top on sand doesnt last long. If i had to do it again i would go with a cup kit instead of coilover on a daily driver. The VR is a blast to drive and i can take any clover leaf here at close to 55MPH with out any traction lost on BF tires but as a DD some of the bumps where harsh.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tell me about it.... I lost over 15+ years of links.

I'm not going through the hassle of transferring and fixing links, so unless PB reconsiders and starts hosting again, I'm considering my past and current threads dead. I probably won't be posting anything other than text.

I need to start pulling my pics from their site, in case they go belly up.

-Todd

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Flickr is a good alternative for photo hosting for the future. I never understood why people used Photobucket to begin with.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Flickr is a good alternative for photo hosting for the future. I never understood why people used Photobucket to begin with.

Lol, Been using it since '08....Guess its time to move on than.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Tell me about it.... I lost over 15+ years of links.

I'm not going through the hassle of transferring and fixing links, so unless PB reconsiders and starts hosting again, I'm considering my past and current threads dead. I probably won't be posting anything other than text.

I need to start pulling my pics from their site, in case they go belly up.

-Todd
Yeah, been using them since '08.. Hard to go back and try to fix this mess. When i received the email i copied all my photos to my PC just in case. Guess i'll need to find another site.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
This came in today. Lower CCV hose. What a PITA to install. Took about an hour with extra hands to install. I would rather have a tooth pulled then to got through that again.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
If you feel that way about that tube don't ever try doing a transmission mount on these cars!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've gotten bad tubes with wrong bends... they would never have fit.

A decent one should take about 15-20 min start to finish.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
the last tube i got, i forgot from where by now, was a real pita to get in right. i start 1 bolt, and try to get the other started, can be a chore esp. with engine/road grease/gunk right there. tried not to clean area too much, so as not to disturb gunk in area. just got the 'lip' as good as i could.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
I've gotten bad tubes with wrong bends... they would never have fit.

A decent one should take about 15-20 min start to finish.

-Todd
That exactly what happened.

the last tube i got, i forgot from where by now, was a real pita to get in right. i start 1 bolt, and try to get the other started, can be a chore esp. with engine/road grease/gunk right there. tried not to clean area too much, so as not to disturb gunk in area. just got the 'lip' as good as i could.
Yeah that what i had to do with the wife help. I had cleaned the area before starting this project so not much grim.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the bends were wrong and you forced it on with preload, it'll fail pretty quickly. I'd have returned it and got another.... that's what I did.

-Todd

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
If the bends were wrong and you forced it on with preload, it'll fail pretty quickly. I'd have returned it and got another.... that's what I did.

-Todd
Well I'll deal with that when the time comes.....;)

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Tackled the Leaking IP today.

Stripped the lower shallow bolt...

Had to remove the line fitting.

That is when i found that one of them didn't have a copper washer in it. Guess that's where the leak was coming from.

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta tdi 244k stage 2 Malone Bosch injectors, 98 jetta tdi 240k injectors.