2005 passat throttle flap

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
that lap controls airflow and is indirectly a part of throttle. It is controlled by the ecu , not your foot. I just replaced one on one of my passats

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
It’s actually called a Regulating Flap or also known as an Anti-Shutter Valve (ASV). The flap works in conjunction with the EGR, and it smooths (no shutter) the shut down of the engine in closing off air into the cylinders. It can also help in shutting down a runaway diesel.
If you can trick/reprogram the computer, you can run the engine without a regulating flap, but I wouldn't do it for safety sake.

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
i know what it does..i have a check engine light on because of it...if i leave it plug in the car runs poorly,right now i have it disconnected...planning to sell the car but would like to fix it before i do..i believe the ebay part is from china...

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
that lap controls airflow and is indirectly a part of throttle. It is controlled by the ecu , not your foot. I just replaced one on one of my passats
did you buy it from the dealer??i can get a used one for $120 but no warranty...

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
It’s actually called a Regulating Flap or also known as an Anti-Shutter Valve (ASV). The flap works in conjunction with the EGR, and it smooths (no shutter) the shut down of the engine in closing off air into the cylinders. It can also help in shutting down a runaway diesel.
If you can trick/reprogram the computer, you can run the engine without a regulating flap, but I wouldn't do it for safety sake.

so my car runs ok with it disconected but when i plug it in it idles rough...is that a common symptom??i just need to make sure before i spent over $300 for a new one...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to diagnose your problem.

Semantics aside (different manufacturers call this part different things), it is there to increase EGR flow as its primary purpose on that engine. So chances are something is wrong with the EGR (which is a different part) and/or the MAF (another part) or a bad leak somewhere.

But the regulating flap can also do some strange things if the internal electronics get messed up. Your specific DTC would be helpful, but on the BHW if it has a regulating flap position related DTC, then chances are pretty good it is in fact the problem. Never seen a BHW have a wire harness problem like the BRMs do.

So yes, that eBay part looks to be the one, but I would not get anything like that from a place like that. I'd get the real deal from a reputable place.

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
issue started after i put the egr cooler back so i will check the egr valve first...the code was for the asv if i remember correctly but not sure...will check the codes also whenever i get time..thanks everybody for the advise....

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
ok..so had too many fault codes stored that i created by disconnecting the egr valve,regulating flap and maf....the egr was sticking open,i cleaned it and now it closes on its own,put it all back together,cleared codes and so far so good...i did have some hesiation,rough idle this morning but no check engine light so far...i have a generic scanner with me so next time it acts up ill be able to check it right away...

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
codes for glow plugs came back,found 2 bad ones and replaced them...so far no check engine light but at times it idles rough,specially cold starts...i rev the engine and it idles ok...seems to be geting worse but without a check engine light not sure what to do..

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
in houston...will put it up for sale soon...will ask $3800 for it...

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
codes for glow plugs came back,found 2 bad ones and replaced them...so far no check engine light but at times it idles rough,specially cold starts...i rev the engine and it idles ok...seems to be geting worse but without a check engine light not sure what to do..
Maybe you have a leak on the flap and EGR O ring?

in houston...will put it up for sale soon...will ask $3800 for it...
Got any pics of the car?