Cost of replacing timing belt in 2004 Jetta TDI?

sylvia

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon 5-spd
I'm looking at a 2004 Jetta (automatic) this weekend and it's getting close to the 200K mile mark, so if it hasn't been done, it'll need a new timing belt. I'd rather buy the car and take it to a local TDI trusted mechanic to get it done than ask the mechanics who are selling it to do it, but I'd also ask for a price cut if it hasn't been done yet.

How much will a new timing belt, water pump and rollers, with labor, cost for this car, approximately?

sylvia

TDI
Ok, looked around on various threads and seems like $500-$650 is pretty standard. I'll go with that unless told otherwise.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Cost runs $700 average. Call the dealer for a price estimate. Gurus will do it for less. Parts are $325+_.

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
I have found that as of last year 825.00 is the dealer price in this area. Most of the local shops will not touch the TDI due to the fact the injection pump timing needs referenced as far timing after the change. They do not have the software therefore they can't warrenty the workblock. I ran into an instance last year where an individual had taken their vehicle to a local shop that stated that they could do it. Then called them the next day stating they couldn't. I asked the woman what they wanted to charge it was 850.00 dollars.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I have found that as of last year 825.00 is the dealer price in this area. Most of the local shops will not touch the TDI due to the fact the injection pump timing needs needs referenced after the change. They do not have the software therefore they can't warrenty the workblock. I ran into an instance last year where an individual had taken their vehicle to a local shop that stated that they could do it. Then called them the next day stating they couldn't. I asked the woman what they wanted to charge it was 850.00 dollars.
You, being in Lima, Ohio, have one of the best TDI shops in the area (Matt Whitbread's location).

lbirunner

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I recommend you have the cam and transmission checked by a TDI guru (previous post mentions one in your area) before making a purchase. These two items are problem areas for an 04 if not maintained well.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Even if this 2004 Jetta was well maintained (correct oils used throughout it's life), at 200K miles it is probably very close to the point where it will need a new camshaft, camshaft bearings & lifters. At that mileage, I would also consider the KP-39 turbo to be near the end of it's typical life. The other question that I would ask would be if the transmission fluid had been changed (how much & how often).

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
I disagree there are no bearings in a VW overhead cam. There are only caps. Cam followers should be solid. These are the cups that fill with oil that sit above the valve stems that the cam lobes push down on. These are the Germans equvilant of hydraulic lifters. The cam should be solid. All componants are cast with 100% quality and tested to stringent manufacturing standards. Its the aftermarket parts that you don't want, these are cams that are to soft and you get premature lobe wear, cam followers that shatter at 70 thousand miles. The VW factory componants will last many, many miles. The turbo I can't say, turbos are subject to fail due to receiving too much or too little oil and are prone to lose balance and leak oil which causes engine damage from runaway. Your original factory cylinder head should last a long time possibly 350,000 to 500'000 miles with factory manufactured componants. Get the belt and the belt accesories changed and your cylinder head will last. I have worked on many VWs that have had remanufactured cylinder heads and they never last past 100,000 miles. Thats why you keep that belt changed.

Last edited:

sylvia

TDI
Well, tdiclub forums saved my a$$ on this one. The mechanics selling the car were these brothers in the Bronx who we've used before, and think highly of. I got the VIN from the guys and ran a car fax, and found out it's actually a 2005 (weird, but ok, I didn't talk to the guy himself, just his brother, maybe he made a mistake).

But I got to thinking, who sells a car to a mechanic? Someone who either breaks down or has a big wreck, right?

So I searched the forums for any mention of a similar car breaking down in the Bronx. And voila: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=341010&highlight=bronx+timing+belt+brother

Turns out the timing belt had already blown and some of the heads are bent. I emailed the guy who posted that and he confirmed that's the same car, same repair shop, same mechanics.

I'm looking for a good deal, but not a car that has serious issues like that. I don't work on cars myself, and I have kids, so I really need something more reliable for the long haul.

To be fair to the guys working on it, they are great mechanics, they might've replaced the whole engine or something (hence the year discrepancy?), but I got spooked and just told them I'm not interested.

And that is how the TDIclub forums saved me $5k. :)

que4dog

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
Not necessarily. If they are known good & responsible mechanics, and the car was correctly repaired, you may have a dependable car sitting there.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Even if this 2004 Jetta was well maintained (correct oils used throughout it's life), at 200K miles it is probably very close to the point where it will need a new camshaft, camshaft bearings & lifters. At that mileage, I would also consider the KP-39 turbo to be near the end of it's typical life. The other question that I would ask would be if the transmission fluid had been changed (how much & how often).
These are BEW's not BRM's.... Big difference, especially when it comes to eating cams..

As far as the turbo is concerned, if it's working leave it alone...

I just rolled 200,000 miles with my BEW. Cam is in absolutely MINT shape, turbo has zero play..

sylvia

TDI
Not necessarily. If they are known good & responsible mechanics, and the car was correctly repaired, you may have a dependable car sitting there.
Really? I was under the impression bent heads meant that's pretty much it, for the engine. I realize they could've repaired/replaced the transmission, but doesn't blowing the timing belt kind of doom the car?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Really? I was under the impression bent heads meant that's pretty much it, for the engine. I realize they could've repaired/replaced the transmission, but doesn't blowing the timing belt kind of doom the car?
You mean bent RODS? Not Heads (there is only one head on the engine and it doesn't easily bend (unless the engine overheats badly)). Bent rods can easily be replaced.

I'm not tying to recommend this car to you, but engines are fixable.

sylvia

TDI
Ah, see, I don't know what I'm talking about at all, I was just phrasing it like the owner did in the post that I found. I was under the impression that sometimes when a timing belt fails, it bends *something* and once that happens, the engine is not fixable.

Regardless, the car has more miles than I'd like on it (221k). Anyone else want to buy a 2004 automatic Jetta that once had a bad transmission and a blown timing belt but now runs? :)

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black
Need to get my TB and water pump on my 2001 replaced in Dallas area. Looked up a few of the gurus. Seems like +/- $800 is the going rate. Would love to pay $500-$650 instead!!!

FRoese

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
My local dealer (north of Baltimore, MD) quoted $1350!! Anyone know of a shop near Bel Air, MD that could possibly do this any cheaper (and be trusted)?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That is the purpose of the trusted mechanics thread. Click the link in my signature. Please try a search before asking as most have all been answered here already.

FRoese

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
That is the purpose of the trusted mechanics thread. Click the link in my signature. Please try a search before asking as most have all been answered here already.
I checked that link and there were only two in Maryland that are nowhere near where I live. Just posting to see if anyone from the Bel Air area happened to stop by and comment. :)

FRoese

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I actually have a friend who has a lot of experience working on TDI engines. I forgot he was going to be around. I think we are going to tackle it this weekend. Anyone have suggestions on where to get parts? Dealer I would imagine...

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
I actually have a friend who has a lot of experience working on TDI engines. I forgot he was going to be around. I think we are going to tackle it this weekend. Anyone have suggestions on where to get parts? Dealer I would imagine...
I have gotten TB parts from Aaron at Bora Parts. You can look him up in the vendor section. He commonly ships the TB kits out to wherever. He's a trusted vendor that lots of people know on this list.
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=327
This kit includes the water pump and bolt kit at a reasonable price. The BEW engine is in the 04, but please verify that's the one you have before ordering.

John

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
IDParts.com or World Impex. Dieselgeek.com is another trusted vendor that will sell you the CORRECT parts kit. Oh, and don't forget the CORRECT tools.

FRoese

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
IDParts.com or World Impex. Dieselgeek.com is another trusted vendor that will sell you the CORRECT parts kit. Oh, and don't forget the CORRECT tools.
I've heard of dieselgeek. My buddy is checking to make sure he has all the correct tools. Hopefully this all goes well. :)

que4dog

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
The head could have been replaced and/or rebuilt with all new valves. Again, if they repaired the car correctly with no other damage, it is a better car because all that work was done already.