VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
Yup, that's what my friend had to sign too. Sounds like they're going back on something again...

I just got this email for an appointment I scheduled. Total BS. The offer letter states I might get restitution if prior owner does not claim it. What is VW up to?

XXX
The appointment confirmation email for XXXXXXXXXX that you recently received may have contained information regarding the vehicle restitution amount. This is a system-generated email and does not reflect your actual offer amount. As stated in your signed final offer letter, you are eligible to complete a buyback in exchange for vehicle value only. The restitution amount set forth in the email you received does not apply to your claim. Please refer to your offer letter for more information or contact the Settlement Support Team at 1-844-98-CLAIM.

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I just got this email for an appointment I scheduled. Total BS. The offer letter states I might get restitution if prior owner does not claim it. What is VW up to?

XXX
The appointment confirmation email for XXXXXXXXXX that you recently received may have contained information regarding the vehicle restitution amount. This is a system-generated email and does not reflect your actual offer amount. As stated in your signed final offer letter, you are eligible to complete a buyback in exchange for vehicle value only. The restitution amount set forth in the email you received does not apply to your claim. Please refer to your offer letter for more information or contact the Settlement Support Team at 1-844-98-CLAIM.
That's what my friend received as well

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
If they are forcing you to sign a letter releasing your claim on restitution then that is counter to the language of the final offer:

"SELECTED OPTION (Preliminary) – BUYBACK. You have indicated preliminary interest in returning your
vehicle and receiving the buyback payment. Based on the details of your claim, it appears that the former owner of
your vehicle may be entitled to, and may have already claimed, the owner restitution component associated with your
vehicle.
Therefore, the total buyback offer includes only your vehicle return amount derived from the September 2015
NADA Used Car Guide Clean Trade value, with adjustments for mileage and manufacturer-installed options.
Volkswagen will notify you after the end of the Class Action Settlement Program (September 30, 2019) if you are
eligible to receive an additional restitution payment
. Under the Buyback option, Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
will repurchase your vehicle"

I don't like the verbiage 'May Have Claimed' and if presented a blanket release to future claims I'm adding Vi Coactus (V.C.) before my signature.

Last edited:

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
If they are forcing you to sign a letter releasing your claim on restitution then that is counter to the language of the final offer:

"SELECTED OPTION (Preliminary) – BUYBACK. You have indicated preliminary interest in returning your
vehicle and receiving the buyback payment. Based on the details of your claim, it appears that the former owner of
your vehicle may be entitled to, and may have already claimed, the owner restitution component associated with your
vehicle.
Therefore, the total buyback offer includes only your vehicle return amount derived from the September 2015
NADA Used Car Guide Clean Trade value, with adjustments for mileage and manufacturer-installed options.
Volkswagen will notify you after the end of the Class Action Settlement Program (September 30, 2019) if you are
eligible to receive an additional restitution payment
. Under the Buyback option, Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
will repurchase your vehicle"

I don't like the verbiage 'May Have Claimed' and if presented a blanket release to future claims I'm adding Vi Coactus (V.C.) before my signature.

How we'll know if previous owner claimed it or not, it's up to them if they will tell the truth or lie but i'm not trusting them that's for sure

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
The appointment confirmation email for xxx that you recently received may have contained information regarding the vehicle restitution amount. This is a system-generated email and does not reflect your actual offer amount. As stated in your signed final offer letter, you are eligible to complete a buyback in exchange for vehicle value only. The restitution amount set forth in the email you received does not apply to your claim. Please refer to your offer letter for more information or contact the Settlement Support Team at 1-844-98-CLAIM.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
The appointment confirmation email for xxx that you recently received may have contained information regarding the vehicle restitution amount. This is a system-generated email and does not reflect your actual offer amount. As stated in your signed final offer letter, you are eligible to complete a buyback in exchange for vehicle value only. The restitution amount set forth in the email you received does not apply to your claim. Please refer to your offer letter for more information or contact the Settlement Support Team at 1-844-98-CLAIM.
I know previous owner has already collected his restitution.
Was there actually amount $$ left for me if it wasn’t a salvage title?

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Everyone I know gets it, no more restitution I guess

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Appeals Court rules that VW still actually committed consumer fraud and that it's crime. Something still works in the legal system...

U.S. appeals court upholds Volkswagen's $10 billion diesel settlement
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ns-10-billion-diesel-settlement-idUSKBN1JZ21G

Thanks for posting WISCO. Maybe this is why VW is such a$$holes in paying claims. They thought they were getting back any money not paid. Glad the 9th circuit finally got a ruling right!

"The appeals court rejected a challenge to the 2.0-liter settlement that stipulated that any of the $10 billion not spent will revert to VW. It also rejected challenges to the court’s approval of the class, the fairness of the settlement itself and the adequacy of the court process in approving it."

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Thanks for posting WISCO. Maybe this is why VW is such a$$holes in paying claims. They thought they were getting back any money not paid. Glad the 9th circuit finally got a ruling right!

"The appeals court rejected a challenge to the 2.0-liter settlement that stipulated that any of the $10 billion not spent will revert to VW. It also rejected challenges to the court’s approval of the class, the fairness of the settlement itself and the adequacy of the court process in approving it."
What does it all mean, restitution will be paid or stays in vw's pocket ?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
They are getting any money not spent back. That's what the 9th upheld.

The settlement was agreed upon by VW and the class representatives, but some people didn't agree with the terms.
VW wouldn't be challenging a stipulation that benefits it, such as, they get any unspent money back.
The court rejected the *challenges* to that provision, thereby upholding the stipulation.

Last edited:

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL

The settlement was agreed upon by VW and the class representatives, but some people didn't agree with the terms.
VW wouldn't be challenging a stipulation that benefits it, such as, they get any unspent money back.
The court rejected the *challenges* to that provision, thereby upholding the stipulation.
Will see if my car gets accepted, crossing fingers

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI

Bizzel et al - you are correct and I am wrong. VW is going to get the money back. Damn.

The court ruled their is no collusion between VW and plaintiff counsel. HA! No one on the court had a salvage title.

Master

TDI
Passat TDI
Any money not paid out will stay in VW's pocket.

I am sorry, but reading that statement I don’t see how it’s the opposite. The way I understand is VW will not get money back, but has to pay the class members all 10 billion..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
That was my thought as well but I could be wrong
I am sorry, but reading that statement I don’t see how it’s the opposite. The way I understand is VW will not get money back, but has to pay the class members all 10 billion..

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive

VW was a party to the settlement.
One of the settlement terms are that VW had to set aside this money to pay the class members and VW gets to claw back unspent money.
There were challenges to the settlement brought by other parties.
The court rejected those challenges and upheld the settlement.

The settlement is unchanged from this decision.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
VW was a party to the settlement.
One of the settlement terms are that VW had to set aside this money to pay the class members and VW gets to claw back unspent money.
There were challenges to the settlement brought by other parties.
The court rejected those challenges and upheld the settlement.
The settlement is unchanged from this decision.
I think Bizzle is correct.

I think VW should get the money back for the plaintiffs that get a fix instead of a buyback.

I do NOT think VW should get the money back for unfixed cars. The settlement has been around for under 2 years. Sounds long, but how many of us have had open recalls on any particular car for over 2 years (albeit no cash - just an open recall)?

VW has a perverse incentive to deny claims. There is no accountability. VW can save several billion off the original $10B. In most class actions, the balance of the settlement does not go back to the offending company. It goes to unclaimed property or to other class members.

Plaintiff Counsel did not do a good job on this settlement.

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I am sorry, but reading that statement I don’t see how it’s the opposite. The way I understand is VW will not get money back, but has to pay the entire 10 billion
I read the decision as follows:

The settlement included a stipulation that any of the $10 billion not spent would be allocated in a specific manner for settling claims or fines. A challenge was made on appeal that these monies revert back to VW. The appeals court rejected a challenge to this.

The challenge to the settlement questioned the veracity of the court’s approval of the class, the fairness of the settlement itself and the adequacy of the court process in approving it. The appeals court rejected a challenge to this.

This was pure legal maneuvering, most likely by the key shareholders of VAG. The end result is that the settlement, good and bad remains intact as a favorable settlement to the class members. The appeal attempted to establish legal precedence to invalidate the class action settlement.

Last edited:

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Buyback on rebuilt Touareg is completed, but not done. Highlights of the day:

- Did not sign any documents waiving right to restitution at the turn in ceremony
- VW buyback rep requested dealer to place a 48 hold on grounding the vehicle. This effectively enters the vehicle into the buyback database
- Did not receive a final value receipt at turn in, will get this within 3-5 days

So pretty standard turn in relative to non branded vehicles, but not completed in the same fashion. Final details are still up in the air, which is less than ideal situation.

E2Tdi

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
- Did not sign any documents waiving right to restitution at the turn in ceremony
- VW buyback rep requested dealer to place a 48 hold on grounding the vehicle. This effectively enters the vehicle into the buyback database
- Did not receive a final value receipt at turn in, will get this within 3-5 days
So pretty standard turn in relative to non branded vehicles, but not completed in the same fashion. Final details are still up in the air, which is less than ideal situation.
I pretty much experienced the same procedure with turn-in of rebuilt 2.0L vehicle this week. I did not receive a check or receipt. They said they will provide a receipt in a few days and send a check via mail.

amizan

TDI
golf, jetta
I was wondering if you guys have any ideas/input.

I purchased a Touareg 3.0 with salvage certificate. the car is running and I can register it but I will get salvage title from CA but I haven't done so yet.

do you think that VW will accept it for buyback or fix? Or am I past the deadline? I saw something on the board that if it wasn't registered in my name by February, then i lose out....

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7

This is the same procedure I went through yesterday when I turned in my branded title 2015 Jetta sportwagon TDI.

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Update - Chase payment came through Friday night and then the VW documents/ receipts rolled in Saturday morning. Deposit hit my account this morning. Much faster turn around than I expected.

Well that's the end of my 13 year affair with diesel...

amizan

TDI
golf, jetta
Update - Chase payment came through Friday night and then the VW documents/ receipts rolled in Saturday morning. Deposit hit my account this morning. Much faster turn around than I expected.
Well that's the end of my 13 year affair with diesel...

Hi WISCO, was yours a salvage Touareg? did you get the full amount including restitution?