Rattle in the Dash

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I thought I had this one figured out but it is getting worse. I hear a rattle when the engine is at idle. Doesn't happen all the time.

Seems to be coming from the center of the dash but a little farther back. I can't tell if it is in the dash or the engine compartment. Usually only with the clutch depressed so I am having trouble getting it to happen while I am parked so that I can look closer.

Does anyone else have this noise? 2015 Passat 6 MT

Thanks

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
maybe your babying it too much ;-)

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
HA ha ha! I thought maybe it was sad since it usually only does it when the clutch is depressed. Is there anyway to cheer up the clutch?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Maybe one of your kids shoved something down into the centre air outlets?

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
HA ha ha! I thought maybe it was sad since it usually only does it when the clutch is depressed. Is there anyway to cheer up the clutch?
you may be onto something but I'm not sure how to cure that. Our DSG always seems quite content.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe one of your kids shoved something down into the centre air outlets?
My youngest is 28. If they shoved anything in the vents I would be seriously disappointed! :D

I am second owner though so there could be something in there but it seems fairly far back near the fire wall. It isn't affected by the fan or recirculate button. I am hoping it will turn out to be in the engine compartment near the firewall because I really stink at pulling plastic things like dashboards. I always break something.

fjdiesel

TDI
76 fj40 w/05 LIberty CRD 2.8L diesel
I had a rattling noise the past couple weeks that was driving my crazy! I kept asking my wife to push on the dash and defrost area while we drove, etc. Driving last night and pushing on stuff I pushed on the overhead console and it quit. I opened the sunglasses thing and it was gone. It was echoing down the windshield and sounded like it was coming from the dash. I flipped her sunglasses over, closed the hatch. No more rattle. It's worth checking yours also. Good luck.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Mine has the sunglass rattle too - we had some trouble pinpointing the origin of the sound until my son popped the compartment open to put on his glasses and voila!

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope it wasn't the glasses holder. If it would do it on a regular basis I could find it but it tends to happen, when fully warm in traffic. Sooner or later it will happen near home so I can check around under the hood while it happens.

thanks for the suggestions folks

New Guy

TDI
‘15 Passat TDI SEL
Nope it wasn't the glasses holder. If it would do it on a regular basis I could find it but it tends to happen, when fully warm in traffic. Sooner or later it will happen near home so I can check around under the hood while it happens.

thanks for the suggestions folks
Were you able to fix the rattling? I just got a ‘15 Passat and noticed a rattling sound near the center of the dash the last couple days. I recently removed the passenger taillight and broke a couple clips to the grill, but it doesn’t sound that far up. Looking for any possible suggestions. I checked the sunglass holder but I don’t think that’s it. Maybe an exhaust clamp? HELP!!

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't heard it in a long time Guy. In fact I forgot all about it. I am retired and not driving as much. Also don't hear as well. I don't recall doing anything that I felt fixed it. At this point who knows what I worked on that might have fixed it. Some junk in the glove box, the eyeglass holder, slammed my hand on the dash a couple times. Changed the cabin filter.
I really wish I could offer you some help, I do recall (now that you've reminded me) how annoying it was. Post back if you figure it out. My luck it will happen again.

shuck

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
My 2015 also has a rattle in the dash. It's somewhere deep near the center, maybe a bit to the passenger side. I emptied my glovebox, which did get rid of one of them, but this is a persistent bugger. I just pulled and reseated the "wood" trim and will report back if that did anything.