Is the bew a good engine?

Humpty

TDI
02 jetta gls tdi 5mt
hey guys im wondering how the bew is compared to the alh. I've heard about the bew having cam problems is this true? And how common is it? In my search of a tdi I've learned that finding a clean alh 5mt takes a lot of patience. I've started looking into the bew and I'm wondering how reliable it is past basic maintenance. I've heard it gets slightly less mpg but also has a little more " spirit" if you know what I mean, lol. Also, how is the bew compared to te alh in terms of mods? Thank you

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
The BEW is an alright engine, the first of the PD engine type(higher injection pressures with more precise timing allowing for better power and lower emissions compared to the ALH). It had cam issues, as does the BRM(found in the 2005.5-2007 Jetta TDI). It's not a "common" problem, it's an inevitable problem. The BRM certainly had it worse off for cam issues than the BEW. So you will run into cam issues with either engine, but if the car had correct oil it's whole life, it will take hundreds of thousands of miles to wear out, but most don't use VW spec oil, so it accelerates wear.

ALH is a clear winner in terms of fuel economy, mod-ability, reliability, and longevity. For power, the ALH was rated for 90hp/155 ft/lbs of torque. BEW at 100hp/177ft/lbs of torque. It's not a huge difference, albeit, slightly noticeable. Another thing to consider, is that the BEW can have injector problems. VW quoted my neighbour $1,000 CAD per injector for his BEW! He found a junker TDI and replaced all 4 for $200. They only had 80k miles on them and 30k down the road with these "new" injectors, they've gone bad again. I've heard similar stories.

To say the ALH is bulletproof, is an understatement. If you know diesel trucks, it's like the 7.3 of powerstrokes. Undoubtedly the most popular and the best diesel put into their cars. The ones that followed certainly declined in reliability and economy.

I'd say, find an ALH and mod it. They are an amazing engine, and they are generally known as the diesel engine that made diesels attractive again in passenger cars.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
In my search of a tdi I've learned that finding a clean alh 5mt takes a lot of patience.
Finding a clean one in the rust belt is very difficult now.
Try finding a clean ALH 5spd without a sunroof and it takes even more patience.:D

Are you using that TDI for sale search engine?...Didn't somebody on here create that? I can't find it now...
Maybe somebody else can chime in here.

deeslman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 punchbuggy 2006 jetta
Just my opinion,
Coming up on 9 yrs of ownership of a bew. Not one minute downtime in 200,000
miles. Beetle has been used hard. Find one that has had proper maintenance, and take a shot.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
my personal golf has over 370k miles on the stock cam.... it smokes a little on cold startup because of worn guides and seals but runs great with a 1749vb and tune to match ...

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I think the BEW is as good an engine as the ALH, and I say this having driven at least 100,000 in each one, if not more. Yes, they have cam issues, but none of the ones I've seen or wrenched on have shown any cam wear (as opposed to the BRMs)

I think there is a love for the ALH as being the best of the best - it's a great engine, but I think the BEW loses a few people because it's a bit different.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
I like my BEW just fine. I have had some hiccups with it but what car doesn't. As far as PD engines go, from what I understand the BEW and the Passat equivalent (brm? dunno) are the most reliable of these engines.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
If your getting second hand (and what ALH, BEW or BRM isn't second hand at this point?) its all about the maintenance. I haven't had a single problem with the engine. Other than wear parts and a few predicted failures (trans solenoids, in-tank fuel pump) I have had no problems. The cam problem was over-hyped and seemed to relate more to the thinner profile of the BRM cam lobes and incorrect oil than to a overall design flaw or material failure.

BEW has a simpler protocol for T-belt change and a little more horsepower but it doesn't lend itself to modification like the ALH does. Changing the injectors in the BEW would be a huge PIA compared to the ALH. Knock on wood I have had no evidence of injector failure and haven't seen any threads on that issue that would cause alarm. I would say the BEW is a reliable workhorse and the ALH a fun engine to play around with so you have a choice.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
BEW is a fine engine. From reading here over the years, they seem to be a miss-understood, harder for some to diagnose.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
BEW has a simpler protocol for T-belt change and a little more horsepower but it doesn't lend itself to modification like the ALH does. Changing the injectors in the BEW would be a huge PIA compared to the ALH. Knock on wood I have had no evidence of injector failure and haven't seen any threads on that issue that would cause alarm. I would say the BEW is a reliable workhorse and the ALH a fun engine to play around with so you have a choice.
It should be noted that as far as injector changes go, the BEW is a lot more complicated however the stockers will get you to 160hp where the alh although easier to change will have to be changed to achieve this. To get to this power range is easier on a BEW. Less playing around for sure. Bolt on turbo, tune, go fast. Much more power than that and you need to further tear down either engine for head studs anyway so why not do injectors while its apart.

Last edited:

WestVa304

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2005 TDI Jetta Wagon, 2004 Passa Tdi 5spd
My BEW had it's cam done at 220k currently at 300k now. However, I think the original owner took it to joe mechanic who put crap oil in it. Either way it's not a huge job especially if done in tandem with the timing belt.
Just check the cam every oil change or every other if it looks good. Records of using quality oil, and regular maintenance of course, would add a lot of confidence to the purchase.
Just an egr delete and tune makes it move really nice. Now a vnt-17 makes it great and the mpg's will compete with an ALH's.
I would buy another one in a hearbeat.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Everything is a trade-off. I think that some of the bias is due to the fact that there are more ALH engines out there?

I'd almost consider an BEW (I think the engines look cool!) if not for the fact that I'm already stocked with ALHs and I have tools for the ALH. Less complications with TB changes? No IP (to do funky things)?

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I'm a BEW owner and I love mine. I drive the SNOT out of it too. I'm constantly revving mine hard, and towing a lot of weight. ( firewood, dump runs from House renos, picking up tools / shelving units etc from classifieds. I've put over 200k on my engine, the stock turbo SUCKS. Replace it with VNT 17 minimum and your golden.

Timing belt is more durable
Alternator is 100x easier to replace
Bottom end is bomb proof
Much more crisp sounding engine compared to ALH
More power stock
More tidy engine appearance
Much nicer cluster
Etc etc

To be honest the only benefits in a ALH are those wide lobs on camshaft and that stock VNT 15.

nickfancher1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI - 39k - DSG
I'd avoid it like the plague, unless the previous owner has proper documentation that it has already been done. I had a 2004 VW Beetle (BEW) that I sold in December. My aunt was the original owner, and I had every service record from the dealership on time by the book. I took the valve cover off at 175k miles to inspect, it was very very worn. Time for a new one.

To me, that's unacceptable for an engine to need a cam at such low mileage. Or ever, unless it has like 800,000 miles. That's completely ridiculous and unless VW high-pathetically speaking were to pick up the tab, is downright terrible. $1500+ to have replaced.

I doubt my current Camry has cost $1500 over the last 209k miles in total for maintenance over the last 16 years. The Beetle I had, was around $9,000-$10,000.

Good luck. Look for an ALH.

(I better put my shields up for the flames I'm about to receive)

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
As far as the BEW goes, I like it @ 175k miles. Zero engine related problems so far for us. At this point, all the body problems are starting to set in. Recently spent $2000 refreshing the suspension and various wear items and a new set of seats. Life time cost, must be closer to $4-5000 if I had to take a guess. I will be checking our cam sometime this summer when I do the timing belt, but no signs or bad noises so far. Also it comes with a much better 09A auto transmission than the 01M the ALH had, if you need auto.

I doubt my current Camry has cost $1500 over the last 209k miles in total for maintenance over the last 16 years.
VW just aren't driving appliances. I would not consider owning one if I wasn't comfortable doing all my own repairs. Also alot of drivers run cars into the ground and never replace wear items until its fubar, so sometimes its hard to say.

deeslman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 punchbuggy 2006 jetta
I'd avoid it like the plague, unless the previous owner has proper documentation that it has already been done. I had a 2004 VW Beetle (BEW) that I sold in December. My aunt was the original owner, and I had every service record from the dealership on time by the book. I took the valve cover off at 175k miles to inspect, it was very very worn. Time for a new one.

To me, that's unacceptable for an engine to need a cam at such low mileage. Or ever, unless it has like 800,000 miles. That's completely ridiculous and unless VW high-pathetically speaking were to pick up the tab, is downright terrible. $1500+ to have replaced.

I doubt my current Camry has cost $1500 over the last 209k miles in total for maintenance over the last 16 years. The Beetle I had, was around $9,000-$10,000.

Good luck. Look for an ALH.

(I better put my shields up for the flames I'm about to receive)
Well since you are wearing your suit,
How the +++++ did you spend 10 grand in maintenance?
Sounds like a case of more money than brains.:D:D

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
And servicing at the dealer is exactly why it needed a new camshaft. Dealer uses VW spec oil (505.1). Those who've abandoned VW spec oil and use better products have done well with the BEW. There is a TON about this on the forum.

I've had my BEW for 10 years now and it has been a wonderfully reliable, simple, and powerful motor. But like anything, you need to know the care and feeding...

They tune easily while stock and you can get a really peppy ride with a simple tune.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I love my BEW so much, I bought a second one this year for my mother. Yes, the camshaft has issues, thanks to the stealership's/VW's crap choice of 5W30, but I keep hearing good things about franko6's camshaft (haven't had to upgrade mine yet). I love my CR as well, but I'd buy yet another BEW in a heartbeat if I could as a project car.

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
13 years and 284,000 miles in and I absolutely love my BEW! Swapped the stock cam out for a Franko6 so long ago I can't remember just as a preventative measure and added a VNT-17 and Malone tune but I still drive it every day while the Golf R sits parked in the garage like the 250 GT in Cameron's Dad's showroom.

When the body is so bad I can't drive it any more I'll buy another in a heartbeat and right now, they way it's going, I'll be able to swap this BEW engine into another car and keep driving it!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
13 years and 284,000 miles in and I absolutely love my BEW! Swapped the stock cam out for a Franko6 so long ago I can't remember just as a preventative measure and added a VNT-17 and Malone tune but I still drive it every day while the Golf R sits parked in the garage like the 250 GT in Cameron's Dad's showroom.

When the body is so bad I can't drive it any more I'll buy another in a heartbeat and right now, they way it's going, I'll be able to swap this BEW engine into another car and keep driving it!
The body can't get that bad. My Golf lives up to its name - the hood and roof look like a golf ball from hail dents, but I still drive it. My settlement money actually went towards that second BEW. :)

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The body can't get that bad. My Golf lives up to its name - the hood and roof look like a golf ball from hail dents, but I still drive it. My settlement money actually went towards that second BEW. :)
That's easy for us to say down here, not so much for our friends in the salty winter wonderland.

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
I love my 2004 sedan with a bew. All I have done is lift pump, solenoid, and general maintenance. I still have the original exhaust at 215,000miles. My car was inspected by Jason tdi at 190000 and he said it's perfect. Keep using liqui Molly with your secondary oil bypass from diesel geek.
I liked it so much I recently bought another 04 TDI. This one a wagon in stick shift which was what I always wanted. This one a baby with less than 60,000 miles and near perfect paint and interior. I'm going to drop the money to getbody work done on the front fender rust so they do the rest of the car justice.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
That's easy for us to say down here, not so much for our friends in the salty winter wonderland.
Good point. In that case, my car has its share of salt problems, as it is originally from Quebec, and was first imported to the US via New York. Every time I take it to my guru, he makes a comment about how he "f***ing hate rust."

oldgrey

TDI
Not VW's finest hour

As a very longtime VWdiesel guy, a MK2, Two MK3, Two Mk4 and now a Mk5.
And that's just the diesels. All amazing mileage and longevity to 500,000km when I tend to sell and get a new 10 yr old model. The ALH wins the best overall runs forever with regular oil changes and basic maintenance. I have 497000 km on one ALH. Bought at 200,000km in top shape. Its had Timing belts, brakes and struts. Still on original clutch, alternator. Have used Wally's 15-40 Owner op Diesel oil, still do. Never had a serious problem. The other at 300,000 is chipped with a young driver, timing belt, brakes and a new clutch. The BRM at 200,000 just got a new cam and lifters. The Differential blew thru the case at 180,000. On its third clutch. Multiple electrical problems. Alternator clutch blew up 500km from home. Had the infamous bog off the line. I blocked off the EGR and cleaned up the intake which now runs much better, except the engine light is on because of that. The mileage is less than the MK4, but its a heavier car. Still gets 5L/100 Hwy, 8L/100 City on winter fuel. My parts car BRM ate an injector at 200,000. Total destruction. Finally Had to buy VAG-Com. what an amazing tool.
Despite its rather lousy repair history, I love driving this car. If I had to take it in to a shop for repairs, I'd probably buy a Hyundai. I do keep a spare Mk4 around to drive when the BRM craps the bed.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I'd like to think the 1.6 T3 combo wins longevity wise, certainly the most fun of the lot in mk1/mk2s. ALH wins overall, BEW is as modern as you can go without it being overly complicated. I got 5.6-5.8L/100 in my BEW last 'winter' on a stock tune with EGR delete with pure city driving. 5-5.2 easily highway. BRM shouldn't have much problem matching that, and the original clutch is still going with 325K km on the clock. Dual mass is scaring me though and clutch slips under the power of a stage 1, so it's coming out. ALHs win by at least 0.5L/100, but I'd rather a smoother drive + more fuel without modification. The mk4 is the workhorse and I treat it like a truck, have fit a full VR swap + crane in the back.

The KP39 and dual mass clutch systems are the weak point, along with cams on the BRMs. Cam wear isn't as bad on the BEW, but it's still just a matter of poor material quality from factory.

MK4s are the new MK2s! wouldn't touch much else in the VW lineup unless you're prepared to spend some coin.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The mk4 is the workhorse and I treat it like a truck, have fit a full VR swap + crane in the back.
I feel you. 90% of the time, I have my trailer attached to my BEW, usually towing something. Today, it was a whole pallet (1 ton) of grain for my goats. Still got 28mpg on the way home, staying at 70mph or below.

The KP39 and dual mass clutch systems are the weak point, along with cams on the BRMs. Cam wear isn't as bad on the BEW, but it's still just a matter of poor material quality from factory.
Don't forget VW's switch of 505 00 to 5W30, which also doesn't help, when these engines should be seeing 5W40. And it still amazes me that a certain vendor (whose name I won't mention, but this should be a no-brainer) thinks the KP39 is still an amazing turbo, even with mods done to it, when it's a horrible turbo overall (but hey, some people still like it).

Nickle

TDI
Jetta MK4 Wagon 5spd
I recently acquired a 5sp BEW wagon. It needed some work (bearings and suspension arms, serpentine belt tensioner, steering arms) but it was fine aside from that. I haven't taken the valve cover off to inspect the cam yet but there is no engine noise that would lead to that type of problem and it just turned over 287k. It was a one owner vehicle that was properly maintained with regards to engine oil (the most important but ya there are others..). It was driving with a seized serpentine belt tensioner for I'm not sure how long. I'm curious how the cam looks though there is no real indicator that it's going south... yet. Either way, I'm checking :)

Worse comes to worse I can replace it myself when it eventually dies and will definitely go for a colt stage 2. Tougher than stock so why not.

The car hardly uses any oil which surprised me. I haven't had to top it up once yet.

I'd love a vnt17 haha.

I have a cm of soot buildup in the intake manifold so I'll be cleaning that out this summer along with a mild tune. I don't want to modify the heck out of this thing though my aim is a bit more pep and longevity (as much as I can help).