Another 17/22 with related plumbing goes in

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Some pics from my efforts last couple of days. I put in the 17/22, the OMI pipe, the lower IC pipes and the PD150 intake with an SRP. Saved the oil line no prob with Herm TDI tool idea - Just cut a 2 notch slot in the 12pt 17mm wrench.

Well, took it for a test drive and I lost all smoke, some slight additional power. Turbo gives a solid feel though. I am maxing out at 20psi on gauge with WOT in 5th. I guess I need the 3bar map and more fuel (running rc3 and sprint 520 at the moment). Thanks for the great folks advice on this forum as usual. For now how much can I go down on the IQ to get a bit more fuel?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Looks good... What did you have to do to get the faux-EGR setup? What parts and where did you source them? I'd like to upgrade to the PD150 intake but I emissions test in my area. A functioning (or apparently functioning) EGR is a must have for me. You'll love the turbo... now it's time for bigger nozzles, 3 bar MAP and a retune... :)

Last edited:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. The Yorkshireman on this forum 'ryanp' vendor out of UK. He has tons of PD150 intakes. He included the matching EGR which I honed out like Wingnut's SRP.

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
eddie_1 said:
Some pics from my efforts last couple of days. I put in the 17/22, the OMI pipe, the lower IC pipes and the PD150 intake with an SRP. Saved the oil line no prob with Herm TDI tool idea - Just cut a 2 notch slot in the 12pt 17mm wrench.

Well, took it for a test drive and I lost all smoke, some slight additional power. Turbo gives a solid feel though. I am maxing out at 20psi on gauge with WOT in 5th. I guess I need the 3bar map and more fuel (running rc3 and sprint 520 at the moment). Thanks for the great folks advice on this forum as usual. For now how much can I go down on the IQ to get a bit more fuel?
For removing the oil line, doesn't it work if you just use two open 17mm wrenches? Why do you need to use the box end?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
It's a 2 pc. fitting w/a flare adapter threaded into the manifold. When you try and loosen the top flare nut only, both the adapter and the flare nut want to turn together. You have to sneak in there with a 17mm and hold the bottom adapter to keep it from turning. It's buried in a small area that doesn't allow a full sized 17mm open end to grap the flats of the adapter. Most just grind down a 17mm open end and hope the flats are aligned in such a way that you can get to them by inserting the wrench the one and only way it can get in there.

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
FlyTDI Guy said:
It's a 2 pc. fitting w/a flare adapter threaded into the manifold. When you try and loosen the top flare nut only, both the adapter and the flare nut want to turn together. You have to sneak in there with a 17mm and hold the bottom adapter to keep it from turning. It's buried in a small area that doesn't allow a full sized 17mm open end to grap the flats of the adapter. Most just grind down a 17mm open end and hope the flats are aligned in such a way that you can get to them by inserting the wrench the one and only way it can get in there.
hmm i thought there was room when i did mine, maybe i was imagining things. Anyways that makes sense though.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Feel free to bump the IQ down to 2.0 for more fuel. I wouldn't go below that. I've heard pumps can run away below 1.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Farfromovin said:
Feel free to bump the IQ down to 2.0 for more fuel. I wouldn't go below that. I've heard pumps can run away below 1.
At 2 mg/R he's probably going to suffer from the dreaded SDS (Slow Down Shudder). Every car is different and he may be OK. Go ahead and ramp your fueling up and see what happens. Ultimately, the tuning is going to spell out your maximum fuel per stroke but until you get or decide to get a re-tune, give 'er some more juice and see what happens. :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
2 may be OK. The shudder seems much more prevalent in '99.5s and '00s. Setup looks nice. Bigger nozzles will help. PP502s may be a good middle-of-the road choice. That's what I'm running with a 10mm pump and RC6.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
IndigoBlueWagon said:
2 may be OK. The shudder seems much more prevalent in '99.5s and '00s. Setup looks nice. Bigger nozzles will help. PP502s may be a good middle-of-the road choice. That's what I'm running with a 10mm pump and RC6.
Hey, how'd you get your hands on RC6... :D When I was negotiating w/Jeff on tunes, he was discouraging the use of RC6... too may internals scattered about the landscape apparently. Well, for those fortunate few, it indeed looks like their tune goes to '11'... :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I was one of the first, and I've had to keep him away from my ECU so he won't take it out. I've got about 40K on the car with it, no internals flying around yet. And I've used it pretty heavily on the track. Shift when the tach stops, or a bit after. :eek:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
IndigoBLueWagon said:
...Shift when the tach stops, or a bit after.
On that, we are alike. Amazing difference up top w/RC5 compared to RC3... Enjoy!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Jeff actually says RC5 is good to 5500, and also says that RC5 is stronger in the midrange because all the maps are stretched out to work with RC6. I may go back to RC5 on the ALH base maps so I can pass inspection this year.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I've never really tried to approach 6k, I just know it doesn't stop @ 5500... That pesky rev-limiter somehow disappeared on me. :D I don't really want/need/miss having RC6. Except for a few niggles, I've been pretty happy just where I'm at. I do need to give you a call though and pick up a few supporting goodies. Such is the way when owning a modified TDI... :rolleyes:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually what is the min reqmt for RC5? If I get the 3bar map and the pp502s will that suffice at that point? I plan to put in the ebay FMIC too. Is 11mm pump and lift pump etc. not a reqmt for RC5 then? I'd rather not go with bigger pump. Can the pp502 deliver all the fuel needed, what is the down side with pp764? I know there were some injection response discussions between bigger and moderate nozzles. It seems Peter and Jeff prefer moderate nozzles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm not certain what Jeff is asking for these days, but I think it's bigger downpipe, no CAT, CCV bypass, and maybe a bigger intercooler, or at least better plumbing.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I'd go with 11mm and PP764's (just don't trust/understand PP502's) with a lift pump on the fuel front. FMIC is always welcome, and a bigger maf housing with coupled large turbo inlet pipe should help. The requirements for RC5/6 are the same, minus rods (and maybe headporting).

Peter- I'm sure driving style has a lot to do with your engine still being alive. I think you could break it if you wanted to if you put the 11mm and some R520's in...

Last edited:

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I'm probably responsible for Jeff's reluctance to offer the RC 6. I tended to over do it a bit. It was fun while it lasted. RC 5 was delightful and probably a better match!

Last edited: