View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2016, 18:49   #10
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Derf View Post
ideas for those looking at this aspect for those coming from the east:
  • Take the scenic drive via the upper peninsula that may include an excursion to Mackinac Island rather than south via Chicago
  • Cross lake Michigan from Ludington to Manitowoc on the SS Badger. The SS Badger is the last coal-fired passenger and car ferry operating on Lake Michigan.
Great ideas! Last year I attended the Sturgeon Bay, WI GTG/Cruise and coming from Southern Ontario I really enjoyed the drive north around lake Michigan over the Mackinac Bridge. This year, depending on how early I can leave home, I might try to work a ferry ride (with a four hour sleep in a $49 "State Room" perhaps?) all I know is I am not driving thru Chicago again.

Half the fun is planning the trip! I did some quick google mapping and if you use Flint, MI from the east as the fork in the road it turns out that whether you go north, south, or take the ferry boat it will still take 8.5 hours to get from Flint to Sturgeon Bay. It might take an extra hour for loading on to the boat, but the reward is four hours of nap time not driving, which doesn't really suit me anyway, unless it is dark, in which case I might as well be sleeping.

edit: I guess what I am saying is that it is up to an hour quicker to just drive around, and possibly more fuel efficient also!

Looking forward to TDIFest!

Also, I hope there will be a cruise planned as part of the fest! (driving cruise that is)
Sprint 520's / RC3 / sweet turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://youtube.com/narfblast

Last edited by NarfBLAST; April 6th, 2016 at 19:00.
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06413 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 18.14 Kb. compressed to 16.33 Kb. by saving 1.81 Kb. (9.98%)]