WHO WANTS TO STAY AT THE MARRIOTT?????

M

mickey

I need to know! I've only got people interested in 9 rooms so far! $85 per night, single or double occupancy, plus taxes!

That's a pretty good deal. Even Motel 6, in Salt Lake out near the train yards, will cost you $40 or $50 per night!

If you want a room reserved, let me know in this thread, ASAP!!!! No need to send them money, or even book rooms, right away. But I need to sign a room contract by the end of next week. They'll allow up to 20% more or less to actually book rooms. But they won't hold any more rooms than I sign for, plus 20%. If more people try to get in at the last minute they may or may not be able to get in at that price. Late September isn't usually very busy, but you never know what kind of conventions might show up.

-mickey

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
I am not yet certain that I can make it to Park City, Utah this September, but if I do, I too would like to stay at the Marriott, in a non-smoking room with King-sized bed, (for 2). We would attend the banquet as well.

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
One room for 2 people. NON-smoking please.

Thanks!

[ March 25, 2001: Message edited by: Vhunter ]

M

mickey

OK. That's more like it. But I'm seeing some of the same names I saw in the other thread. I need NEW PEOPLE!!!!

Spread the word! I think the problem is that there are a lot of folks who want to attend but who don't necessarily check the forums more than once a week or so.

I was hoping to book at least 50 rooms for at least a couple of the nights, but it's looking very unlikely at this point.

Sorry. I'm new at this. I e-mailed everyone on my "GTG" list, which is pretty long at this point, and I've had very few replies to the Hotel threads so far.

-mickey

BIGJOHNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (Black) mine; 2011 Golf (UGM) hers
Throw me in for one room. We'll say two double beds and two people (NON smoking), friday through (sunday or monday) night (3 or 4 nights). Hopefully will find a roommate to share costs.

John

[ March 25, 2001: Message edited by: BIGJOHNO ]

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
I thought I posted in another thread, was out of town for this one. Need One King room
Friday, Sat, Sun. Two people attending.

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
I'd like to stay there. One person, two beds, in case I can get someone to share the room. Non Smoking.
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.
Thanks mickey.

[ March 26, 2001: Message edited by: Karl Roenick ]

Frank Doherty

Re-confirm: Non-Smoking room with two beds for Saturday and Sunday nights. 2 will attend the awards banquet. Let me know when how/when I can pass on the credit card info, etc. Thanks again for the hard work.

M

mickey

Bad news, tobakker fans! There is no such thing as a "smoking room" at any hotel, motel, youth hostel or homeless shelter anywhere in the state of Utah. None. The entire state is "NO SMOKING" in any building that is accessible to the public. Or in private offices or shops. Or practially anywhere indoors excpept for private homes!

Sorry.

But just think: By Sunday evening you might be able to taste your food!

-mickey

M

mickey

OK. So far, that's 11 Kings and 5 Doubles. Assuming we average 3 nights per room, that's 48 "room nights" so far, at $85 per night for single or double occupancy. (Same price for a King or 2xDouble room.)

That's about $4080 plus tax, not including meals/room service/whatever. Remember that if you want High Speed Internet Access in your room you'll need to pay extra. I think it's $10 or $15 per night. Perhaps it would be a good idea to "buddy up" and get just a few rooms online and share them?

The banquet cost will also be on top of this. The total cost per plate for the banquet has yet to be determined, and probably won't be until we get a lot closer to September. A lot more people are going to jump on the bandwagon by then, and I want to get everybody fed at the Banquet who wants to attend. (Lodging can always be arranged elsewhere, even at the last minute.)

Here's the deal: I need to sign a "Room Agreement", which amounts to a contract, and put down a deposit for the to hold the rooms at our special price. I'm going go ahead and tell him to plan on 50 room nights at this point. I'm also going to ask if we can continue to add more people SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY!!!! You see, they don't want to reserve rooms at a discount rate that might not actually be used, for obvious reasons. They don't want to turn anybody away who is willing to pay full price. Hence the contract and the deposit. So if I haven't heard from you by now, and believe me I've tried to contact as many GTG People as possible, you may or may not get this special rate. I'm sure Marriott will be as accomodating as possible, though, since that's usually not a busy time of year.

Fifty Room Nights. Done. I'll e-mail him right now, and tell him I'll sign the contract next week.

If you read this, you've got the weekend to think about it! If you want to back out, or jump in, let me know ASAP! E-mail me at mickey@tdiclub.com !!!

Thanks for all the help! The lodging thing is kind of a big hurdle. Once I get this HQ Hotel/Banquet thing squared away the rest is relatively simple.

-mickey

p.s. Lots of info on alternative hotels, motels, campgrounds and the like will be forthcoming. There is a cool little "dude ranch" called the Hi Ute Ranch out by the freeway, a few miles north of PC. I'm going to contact them about tent sites and shower facilities for those who want a relatively "primitive" camping experience but don't want to have to wander out into the bushes somewhere to get it.

-mickey

M

mickey

Smokers Rejoice! (Well, until you get cancer.) I was mistaken about our militant stance about smoking in public buildings. The rules are strict, but hotels are able to provide smoking rooms within certain guidelines. I've been informed that the hotel has a "limited number" of smoking rooms on the first floor. You'll need to ask for them specifically when you call to book reservations.

The "free" Ballroom for the Banquet was offered under the assumption that we'll book an average of 35 rooms per night for 5 nights. I certainly hope that many people show up, but realistically it ain't gonna happen. I'm going to go ahead and sign the contract described above, and I've asked how much the "rent" will be on the ballroom. We'll just split that up amongst the banquet guests, together with the cost of the meal itself. I hope the cost doesn't get too crazy! I'll also try to talk them into giving us a discount on the ballroom since we're all such charming and environmentally friendly folks.

-mickey

M

mickey

Everyone will be calling the Marriott and making their own reservations. I'll probably post the number (I'm sure they have an 800 number) next week, after I sign the Rooming Agreement and give them my credit card number.
You'll be identifying yourselves as "TDI Club" members to get the discount rate.

There is simply no way we'll be able to get a free Ballroom out of this, though. That would require an average of 35 rooms per night for 5 nights. Ain't gonna happen! However, he told me today that we should be able to score a discount on the rental of the Hall which will vary depending on how many room nights we end up booking. Worst case scenario: $250 for each Ballroom. I've gone ahead and reserved one that'll hold 140 people in Banquet seating (round tables), plus we can get the one next door, if necessary, and add another 150 people! That oughta do it, and even $500 split up amongst that many people (plus the meal cost, of course.) wouldn't be too bad. So that was kind of a relief. I had visions of thousands of dollars! I told them to just go ahead and reserve the Ballroom now and we'll worry about the rental price later. No big deal.

After finding a few "stragglers" in that first thread I've bumped up my order to 55 total room nights. That would cover everybody who has specifically asked for a room, and assumes an average 3 day stay since there will be some coming and going. Marriott is perfectly willing to extend the discount room rate to as many TDI-Clubbers as show up, SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY! If you wait until the last minute you may or may not get in! They will not "bump" a full-rate customer to accomodate a discount customer, as I described yesterday. So it will behoove everybody to call and reserve their rooms as soon as I give the go-ahead. If we exceed the Rooming Agreement, no problem. That just protects them from UNDERBOOKING and places a cap on the number of discounted rooms they have to GUARANTEE, but like I said: If you call and reserve your room early, you'll get in. They'd be perfectly happy to have us fill the place up and spill out into the parking lot.

I hope all this makes sense. I am absolutely new at this. But it sounds like a more flexible arrangement than I'd anticipated at first. You'll love the hotel! It's very nice. Not right on historic Main Street, but the City operates free shuttle buses to and from Main Street until the wee hours to haul you back to your hotel when you've partied at Harry-O's until you can't stand up.

-mickey

p.s. I'm going to ask that the "general population" wait a week extra before booking, to allow the people who responded to this thread (and the other one) to get "first dibs". I'll post a list of names in a new thread, and e-mail those people individually. Then it'll be a free-for-all. If you book early, within the next month or so, you shouldn't have any trouble at all. Late September is not the busy season in Park City by any means. Spring and Fall are pretty dead, and that'll be too early for all the advance people for the Olympics to be showing up yet. They'll start flooding into town in November or so, and most will stay at cheaper hotels in Salt Lake or out by the freeway.

p.p.s. Payments for the Banquet will be handled at a later date. I may set up a special PayPal account or something. It depends on what kind of out-of-pocket expenses I'll incur. (I have no money!) It may be possible to pay for the meals when you actually get here in September. I don't know. I'll keep everyone informed, and pass the Virtual Hat if necessary.