ALH 1949 willys cj3a

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
Thanks! Maybe you guys can help me out. When I hold the throttle around 1000-1500 rpm it will return to idle without me moving the pedal. If I hold it at say 2000 rpm it will stay there. Someone suggested it may be brake input overriding the throttle....??? Any ideas what it could be and how to remedy it? Thanks!
mine does this same thing. No brake switches hooked up yet.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
mine does this same thing. No brake switches hooked up yet.
Unless you get "left foot braking" turned on in the ECU then you will have this issue. F | F36 | F47 must all read "0" in measuring block 006

To meet those conditions on the ALH/BEW/BHW engines it would be:

F (Brake Light) = GND
F36 (Clutch Switch) = 12V
F47 (Brake Switch) = 12V

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
I think I have it fixed. The harness was setup correctly...pedal was bad. I had a spare. Been driving around the house. seem good now. Thanks!

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I added a little TDI flare to the stock willys tailgate decal design.

My exhaust parts have begun to trickle in... Muffler and SS filler rod came today.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Muffling a TDI engine in a Conversion set-up

Awesome build .. thanks for the PM. I apologize for not taking notice much sooner!

For what it is worth....
My exhaust comes off the Turbo with a 1 7/8" inside diameter 180* sweep pipe to a spring-loaded donut style joint. From the joint, it immediately goes into a 2" ID 12" long resonator, then exits into a 2" ID pipe that elbows 90 degrees with a short run to the CAT which is welded directly to a 16" long glass-pac muffler with 2" ID and 2.25" ID exit hole.

That set-up is reasonably quiet..... but, even with my bad hearing, I can hear the Turbo whistle occasionally!:D

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Well.... The jeep is 99% done. Just waiting on shocks. Exhaust is done and mounted. even went on a 3 mile test run! It worked surprisingly well for the first run! No shakes or shimmys. Had her up to 45mpg which was about 2500 rpm. I will post a video once I have a decent one. Here is the exhaust system. Its 2" 304ss. This setup seems very quiet! I am pleased. I can still hear a little turbo noise but not bad at all. More fender rattles and engine noise.

Let me just say this thing has some giddy-up! 13lbs of boost and a little whistle and 45mph comes quickly.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Beautiful welding work. Just curious, why the 90* bend at the back instead of exiting straight along the driver's side?

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! I did the exhaust that way because I was trying to recreate the factory willys setup. Also, I have had a few jeeps with rear exit exhausts and the fumes swirl up into the cab pretty bad when the top is off. Im not sure if thats why willys did it the way they did but it works to keep fumes from swirling.

Here is a picture of a factory willys setup.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Wow! That's an awesome exhaust system. Very neat work!

Although the exhaust on my Vanagon is much, much shorter, I used the same fittings, 304SS, and one spring loaded SS donut joint. I really like the quick joints as I can have my exhaust off in a matter of minutes.

The down-side, I cannot weld, so, that's one chore I had to farm out. But, I did cut everything to fit and marked orientation. So, it turned out really well.

Great work! I love it!

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Andy! Yeah, the vband clamps are slick! Makes removal nice! I will be using them on everything from here on out! Tig welding has opened up a whole new world of DIY for me. I still need a lot of practice

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
So the jeep has been running good!

Ive got about 50-60 miles on the swap so far. The only issue i'm experiencing is that it cranks longer than I think it should before starting. probably 3 seconds or so but it feels like a long time. There is no visible air in the fuel lines. The timing is just below the center line on the graph, the IQ is 4.2. The battery is good. It cranks fast.....just long. Any ideas? It cranks the same amount of time everytime... hot or cold. It hasnt always done this.... but seems to have gotten worse. When I first got this thing running, It would start the second I hit the key.

Here is my timing graph.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I hadnt thought about that.... How to I diagnose/repair that. I was thinking more of a timing issue. I was going to pull the vacuum pump and get my timing tools to check the crank/cam/pump alignment.

I suspect the pump head o-ring letting air into the pump head.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
So the jeep has been running good!

Ive got about 50-60 miles on the swap so far. The only issue i'm experiencing is that it cranks longer than I think it should before starting. probably 3 seconds or so but it feels like a long time. There is no visible air in the fuel lines. The timing is just below the center line on the graph, the IQ is 4.2. The battery is good. It cranks fast.....just long. Any ideas? It cranks the same amount of time everytime... hot or cold. It hasnt always done this.... but seems to have gotten worse. When I first got this thing running, It would start the second I hit the key.

Here is my timing graph.

I have the exact same issue. I connected my fuel lines (rubber) under the bottom when I first put it together. It would crank on first turn. When I reorganized the lines, now it cranks 7 or 8 rotations before starting. Once it starts, i can shut her down and retry and it starts on 2nd or 3rd crank. I'm sure I have leak as I smell fuels when I under the truck..

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine cranks the same amount no matter what... hot, cold, been sitting or just shut down. It doesn't seem to matter. It used to fire up instantly.....its bugging me! haha!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Start simple, I seem to remember you saying you checked pump, cam, crank static timing 3? times during setup? I would put that on the back burner. I would start by going over your fuel routing and see if there is something there that might cause a lag in delivery. Does cycling glow plugs a few times make any difference? Can you watch your lines for air while someone else starts it?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
pay close attention to the exhaust also, but I would expect a slight fuel/air leak rather than timing. Have you stuck a mirror under and around your pump looking for seepage?

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I did check and the-check. I guess I’m just paranoid. Haha! It started really well right after I did the belt job. This problems has recently developed. I will check the pump for leaks. Not sure what you mean by exhaust related? Can you tell me more about that? Yes, I can see the fuel in the lines. There is no visible air when cranking or sitting. I will check to make sure all my connections are tight. Keep the tips coming. Thank you!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
as far as smoke, color in particular, if there is a change from what it did originally. Checking connections is a good idea. No air in lines, pay particular attention upstream from there then. If it runs good, most likely not air blockage, significant leakage or plugged filter. So probably minor at the moment. Pump and injectors sitting for an extended time? I imagine the tank did not have diesel sitting in it since it was a gasser. Like comment above, head seal or even a slight hard line leak. Just enough to let a small bleed back occur. If you find seepage around the pump there is a 7? part video by runonbeer/ dieselgeek that is as well done as you can find. Start simple and work your way to it. Donna's pump had a leak last winter, I think some moisture may have froze. Started hard. Ebay Bosch kit was around $16 shipped if I remember. Simple job with the video's.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If nothing else, take it out and hammer the crap out of it until something evident arises. And always keep in mind, bad advice is always free. LoL, good luck, now go out and break something.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. So now I feel kinda dumb..... went out to the garage, the Jeep has been sitting all night. Boom started up instantly and purred. No exhaust smoke on startup. I did see air in the return line. That cleared up after a few seconds. I shut it off and restarted. Cranked for less than one second. So I think your right about not being a major issue. Must be some air getting introduced somewhere. I will check all my fittings. I will get the engine hot and try again. Thanks!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't feel dumb, feel lucky! You're just ambitious. I'm lazy, that's why I look for the simplest issue first. My favorite problems are the ones that fix themselves.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Think of it more as being calm and wise rather than lazy! I always think the worst and just start tearing into stuff.

I got a mirror and flashlight and looked all around my pump. It appears to be completely dry as far as I can tell. I’m still not convinced the problem is totally gone , but that would be nice. I will drive it some more and update you. Thanks!