Not that far a drive, but no daily pass?

madajb

TDI
'09 JSW
So, PDX is just up the road, but looking on the website, I don't see any sort of daily pass, it seems to be an all-or-nothing deal, is that correct?

I was thinking of cruising up on Sunday to check out the Show and Shine (which I believe is free) but am not quite sure how it would work.
Is the show held in a different location than the vendor market or?

Also, I've got no idea what half of these things are. A bit of explanation would be helpful.

11am-4pm –Chain Races, Swap Meet, Creeper Derby, Spare Tire Bean Bag Toss Bellypan Competitions?

-ajb

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The purpose of the TDIFest is as a fund raiser to keep these forum free of cost, and free of advertising. We appreciate that you appreciate not having to incessantly click to close the endless pop-up ads.
We ask that you consider supporting the cause by making a donation, or by paying for a TDIFest registration.

I don't know the details, but I suspect the "creeper races" are probably some variant of a potato sack race type of fun event, the "bellypan competition" is likely a test of dexterity and spatial relations needed to remove or install one of these under engine covers.
"Chain race"? Beats the heck out of me what that might be. I'll find out there.

I hope to meet you and I hope I can tell it's you by the screen name on your access badge (hint-hint).

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Jonathan, are you driving to this Fest? What would you think of a passenger in yours truly? I'm giving it some thought, I have to see how I can make it happen on my side. You'll have mail.

madajb

TDI
'09 JSW
We ask that you consider supporting the cause by making a donation, or by paying for a TDIFest registration.
I don't have a problem with supporting "the cause", but $50 (myself + "guest") for a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon seems a bit steep hence the day pass question.

I suppose I could donate a bit and call that a "single day ticket" in my head.
Not sure how the logistics of that would work though. Is the "show and shine" in a accessible field, but the vendors/talks/whatever are behind a barrier you need an access badge to pass?
So far as I can tell, donating doesn't get you an access badge, so I'd hate to drive up there and find out I can't actually see anything.
"Chain race"? Beats the heck out of me what that might be. I'll find out there.
According to the interwebs, a "chain race" is two cars connected by a tow chain racing the oval.
Not sure if that is what is meant in this context or not.

-ajb

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Instead of just a couple hours Saturday afternoon, why not make a weekend out of it and see what the Fest has to offer? We have discounted rooms through PDX Sheraton and a plethora of events: Meet n' Greet, Drag Racing, Show n' Shine, vendor displays, various tech sessions, catered lunch on Saturday, family friendly games like the above mentioned ones, raffles, auctions, and the closing awards ceremony banquet Sunday evening. It's a packed weekend of TDI madness!

To answer your question though, it really is geared up to be an all or nothing type of deal. The logistics of organizing the TDIFest in itself is a large enough task. Unfortunately, we just have not been able to break down the package into "daily options" but we'll take this into consideration for future TDIFest's!

Lug_Nut

TDI
The show and shine takes place (at least in the past events) in a publicly accessible parking lot. We can't throw you out of a public place. Come by and prepare to be bored by the lack of bling.
The technical events usually have been in hotel conference rooms which the event staff has rented for the time period. As a result these are not public access for that time period and the event staff can limit who gets in and who doesn't.

I don't want to come across as a fascist and say you have to pay to play, but I do hope that you can come by and help us monetarily as you see fit. Whether that's buying raffle tickets or whatever, any contribution is appreciated and helps you, as well as it helps all of us, by keeping this site contributor and lurker supported.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Jonathan, are you driving to this Fest? What would you think of a passenger in yours truly? I'm giving it some thought, I have to see how I can make it happen on my side. You'll have mail.
You don't want to know what my travel plans are.....:eek:

The time line itinerary is depart Monday the 30th and return the 13th or 14th.

madajb

TDI
'09 JSW
It's a packed weekend of TDI madness!
I'm sure it is.
That's a lot of car jazz for one weekend though! heh.

Unfortunately, we just have not been able to break down the package into "daily options" but we'll take this into consideration for future TDIFest's!
I kind of figured as much, but it would be nice though for those of us that have a spare afternoon for wandering through a show and checking out the vendors but not a weekend.

-ajb

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
You are suggesting that the show is not much of a show?

-ajb
quite the contrary actually. I believe he's merely suggesting that there will be a severe lack of chrome detailing. Most members of TDIClub don't "bling" their cars. We do power mods and have awesome "sleepers" that haul a$$ and could tow a house (ok, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration).... we love our cars and put on one hell of a show.... we just aren't known for our "low riders" ;)

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
I'm sure it is.
That's a lot of car jazz for one weekend though! heh.

I kind of figured as much, but it would be nice though for those of us that have a spare afternoon for wandering through a show and checking out the vendors but not a weekend.

-ajb
It's all that jazz that comes from the love of these cars. It's great to get together with people who share a similar interest, talk it up, joke about it, ask questions, and find answers. Fest helps you do that -in a fun way.

I realize that dropping $50 for a day trip to a car show can seem daunting. But if you take into consideration all that you would get for your $50 over the course of a year... it turns into pennies a day.
Free advice, vendor deals, parts, services, how-to's, friends, fun, an awesome conference every year, the list goes on... and all of that without being harassed by ad's on this site or required to pay an annual membership fee except a registration fee at an optional event. I'd say that's a pretty fair deal. ;)

oh, and FWIW... Chain Races will be races of dexterity and skill on how to put chains on your tires. For those of us from the PNW (and other areas north) who are familiar with Chain use during snow season, it should be fun to watch those who are not as familiar try to figure out how to put them on and take them off. :eek:

madajb

TDI
'09 JSW
oh, and FWIW... Chain Races will be races of dexterity and skill on how to put chains on your tires. For those of us from the PNW (and other areas north) who are familiar with Chain use during snow season, it should be fun to watch those who are not as familiar try to figure out how to put them on and take them off. :eek:
Gotcha. Are the contestants being blasted with ice cold water and an industrial fan while attempting the chains?
At the very least, the chains should be stored in a freezer until contest time!

-ajb