Mann Fuel Filter?

justme

Veteran Member
I ordered a fuel filter filter for the 98 NB from vwparts.com, and they sent a Mann WK 853/5. It was $22 -- not bad. But does anyone know if the Mann's any good? It says Micro Top on the box, for whatever that's worth. I haven't seen Mann mentioned as a fuel filter brand in this forum.

Also, I was going to fill it with lubro moly diesel purge when I put it on, but unlike the cartridge fuel filters of yesteryear's diesels, it doesn't come apart. There are all these tiny hose fittings on top, but it would be impossible to pour anything in there. I can take off the water drain on the bottom, but I can't fill it while it's upside down.

M

mickey

They're fine. In fact, on a given day VW's OEM supplier might be Mann.

-mickey

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Mann makes quality products and I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

FYI - My last Fuel Filter on Ol' Silver was made by Mann.

justme

Veteran Member
Thanks.

Any advice on how to fill it with the Diesel purge? I'd imagine that filling it with at least diesel fuel would be part of a good installation procedure. Do I need to get tiny tubes and siphon it in through the fuel line fittings?

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Just use a small funnel to slowly fill the Fuel Filter to the top - taking your time for ALL the air bubles to rise to the top of the opening where the "T" Fitting goes.

I recommend you seal the black and blue O-rings with silicone or vaseline too, in order to prevent larger air bubbles from accumulating.

S

SkyPup

our 98 NB also has Mann fuel filter too, however, in contrast to our 99.5 Jetta, there is NO "T" fitting or removable "T" with O-rings. Instead it is simply a solid cast metal case with the white plastic drain screw on the bottom and two curved fuel spouts on top, one inlet and one outlet.

If you want to fill it will injector cleaner (which is a great idea and has worked excellent for us on both TDIs), just pump in with a syringe through the inlet orifice until fuel comes out the outlet. If I remember right, the last time I did this I pumped in somewhere around 250-300mls of Power Service Disel Kleen to fill the filter. Car fired right up and let it idle for about 15 minutes and then drove it about 20-30 miles.

Great way to keep the injectors cleaned up from all the caked on coke on the nozzle and gunked up varnish inside the seat hole orifice. Cleaning the coke off the outside improves the spray pattern to what it is supposed to be and cleaning the varnish off the inside keeps the injector closing properly and shutting off the injection at the correct time. Both are real positive improvements for performance of the engine.

justme

Veteran Member
On this Mann (and on the filter currently on the NB) the T fitting seems to be integral, with no O rings. Am I mixed up here?

paul_cat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI [ALH]
That does look different than on my Golf. Where's the thermally controlled tee fitting?

S

SkyPup

Our 98 NB looks exactly like that, I cannot remember which is the intake and outake off hand without looking at it again.

The way I think I remember it is the one in the middle is the filtered flow to the pump, the one on the outside is the intake, and the T is the recirculated filtered fuel from the pump that it does not use back to the tank.

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: SkyPup ]

justme

Veteran Member
The '01 Golf is different, with a plastic piece at the T.Probably about the same functionality, but this may be more bulletproof as far as leaking around the T.

justme

Veteran Member
I haven't been able to find a funnel small enough to pour into the filter fittings by a long shot. I might try making one by clipping a tiny corner off of a tyvec CD sleeve. These tubes are tiny! Or maybe I can come up with a syringe someplace.

I've also been a bit intimidated by the VW factory style clamps. Reading other topics I've found I get the idea that it doesn't hurt to replace them with "regular" screw clamps, so I guess I have to buy some of those.

justme

Veteran Member
OK, the results of all this:

* You can make a tiny funnel out of a tyvec CD sleeve by clipping a corner. There's no way to get fuel into the tubes with this, but of course you can pour it in after removing the screw on the top of the filter

* filling the new filter with Diesel Purge and running it through the engine seemed to help the power loss I was experiencing at 2400 rpm and up. We'll see on the highway. Maybe it'll help the cold start puff of smoke too