The Adventures of CompuDub

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
It does seem to run out of steam at the top end, but it is not that instant "edge of a cliff" feeling I have experienced with other modded TDIs, especially my '98 Jetta.
How much, (if any?) advance in adaptation timing do you run? I've found that advancing the timing through adaptation increases power quite a lot at high rpm. Another benefit to mpg is that there is more torque at low throttle/1500-3600rpm.

*math checked by tooef... "Certatooef" stamp of approval. :)
:D:cool:

Compu & Dub, sorry for the hijack! I was very happy to see this thread and I look forward to following it! :D

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Well me made it back home in one piece last night around 11:15pm. Uneventful trip aside from the 50 miles of snow in Ohio. The CB turned out to be very useful and a lot of fun... got great traffic and radar trap tips and some interesting conversation, to boot.

Now it's time to move all of our electronic gear over to the Mercedes for the road trip up to New Hampshire on Saturday. :cool:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
How much, (if any?) advance in adaptation timing do you run? I've found that the engine is much happier to run at high rpm and low throttle position after advancing the timing through VCDS.
:D:cool:
Compu & Dub, sorry for the hijack! I was very happy to see this thread and I look forward to following it! :D
No worries! Thanks for the info... we'll definitely be fiddling with a few things to try and get the MPGs up a bit. Glad you're enjoying the thread! :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Only adaptation channel I changed from default was the IQ, to minimize slow-down shudder.... but it still has some. It runs so good I am honestly afraid to mess with it. :eek:

The pump's physical timing is set just below the top bar on the graph.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just got the exhaust fabbed up on the Benz... It's nice and quiet now.

Tomorrow morning at 8am we hit the road for New Hampshire. Yay Ho5G! Looking forward to hanging out with the New England crew for a couple days. :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Argh it takes so long to swap over all of the road trip gadgetry from one vehicle to the other. Need sleep...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We're here! The drive was great... No traffic or bad weather at all. Saw some pretty good sights and got my debit card on lock-down because some shmuck in California stole my number and went shopping at Office Depot. :rolleyes:

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I got 63 with my modded 160HP 01 Jetta going up to the Ho5G driving at night 56 on the cruise control and I live about 80 miles NW of you. 1036 round trip with an extra day at home going to the YMCA and back home stopping 2 miles from the house to fill up,16. something gallons don't have the mileage computer in the house at this time. BTW I did have the .681 5th gear great Mod for mileage and flying down the road. great all around gear. hope to get one soon for this 03, so far the best I have done is 58 up to the Ho5G. Need to improve on that as I want to head out west to the Grand Canyon again.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Just pulled into the driveway and unloaded the car. Got 25mpg again, but at the last fill I don't think the tank got totally brimmed because of how the car was sitting.

More pictures / stories to follow.

-J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Not quite 25 since we couldn't get the tank full... more like 23 I think.

The trip up to NH was fantastic. I think we averaged a higher speed on the trip back because people were driving like maniacs. We just cruised on the way up there. Another 1000 miles on the books... getting ready to head back to Michigan on the 13th.

Interesting note... we saw a pretty sweet warehouse fire in NJ right after we crossed the GW bridge. Pics are coming in a few minutes. Anyone have a link to a news report or something mentioning it? The plumes of black smoke were going all the way across the river to Manhattan. :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Great to see you both. Jason, I should be annoyed with you: I'm searching for W126s now. That's a lovely car. Are two old Mercedes too many?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
was this car a conversion?

or did another of the super rare B5 TDIs show up? wagon even

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I believe it was a 1.8T originally, based on the vacuum routing sticker on the core support. Instrument cluster is the gasser cluster, too.

Edit: Ah, didn't know about the transmission. Really, the V6 gearing won't be bad for that, IIRC.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Great to see you both. Jason, I should be annoyed with you: I'm searching for W126s now. That's a lovely car. Are two old Mercedes too many?
Funny you should mention it... we have a nice 1991 350SDL for sale! :D

I could probably be persuaded into parting with the 1987 300SDL, too... if you want to start a collection of money pits. ;) We can work out a good deal on both.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Time for an update!

Today we drove to Michigan for Jason's sister's wedding. 510 miles in 8 hours with one stop for lunch. The TDI was averaging 50+ MPG for the first half of the trip - mountains and no A/C. It dropped to about 47 for the second half - flat roads in Ohio + A/C, then no A/C and a lead foot through Michgan. It's amazing how much elevation changes can help fuel economy.

Tomorrow night is the rehearsal dinner and the wedding is on Sunday. We'll do some Fest planning stuff on Monday morning and head back home around noon.

As soon as we get home on Monday, it's off to bed because we have another road trip on Tuesday up to Langhorne, PA to pick up our new Passat!

Stay tuned for updates.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Time for an update!

Today we drove to Michigan for Jason's sister's wedding. 510 miles in 8 hours with one stop for lunch. The TDI was averaging 50+ MPG for the first half of the trip - mountains and no A/C. It dropped to about 47 for the second half - flat roads in Ohio + A/C, then no A/C and a lead foot through Michgan. It's amazing how much elevation changes can help fuel economy.

Tomorrow night is the rehearsal dinner and the wedding is on Sunday. We'll do some Fest planning stuff on Monday morning and head back home around noon.

As soon as we get home on Monday, it's off to bed because we have another road trip on Tuesday up to Langhorne, PA to pick up our new Passat!

Stay tuned for updates.
you two should just get a room in Philly. cheaper than diesel, no?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Adding Langhorne as a stop on this trip doesn't save any time. It would add 7.5 hours, which is exactly what it is round trip from our house.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

We are at TheSpatulaOfLove's house doing some diagnostic work on his new Beater Bug. Cheap transportation for his wife to drive in Detroit since her minivan got broken into the last time she parked in the city.

It's a 01M and is making a vibration between 40 and 60 mph, so we're going to put it on VCDS and check for torque converter slip.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Turns out the vibration is torque converter slip. Not good!

Wedding rehearsal and dinner were great. I got to meet all of Jason's family and we all had a great time.

Tomorrow is wedding day and then the reception at The Henry Ford. :cool:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The wedding was amazing and the reception at the Henry Ford was just incredible.

Here are some highlights.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Looks like we will be heading through a blizzard tomorrow and we already took the snow tires off of our car. If anyone in the Detroit area has a set of snow tires we can borrow, let me know!!

The Weather Channel is calling for a foot or more of snow. :eek:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself

Bride: Girrl, she did NOT say that.

Other girl: I'm tellin' ya, that's what that ho said.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Looks like we will be heading through a blizzard tomorrow and we already took the snow tires off of our car. If anyone in the Detroit area has a set of snow tires we can borrow, let me know!!

The Weather Channel is calling for a foot or more of snow. :eek:
Come up to beautiful flint and I've got four snow tires balanced and ready to rock. They're Shizzler's old ones IIRC.

You guys are driving the mkiv?