Proud New 2013 Jetta TDI Owner

VWfan55

TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 White/CrnSlk w/Premium
Hey all. I finally was able to purchase a new 2013 Jetta TDI white with cornsilk. I have always wanted a diesel sedan and the Jetta accomplishes just that. I'll have some pictures later.

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
Argh!! I have been dreading this day! I now have an old piece of crap!

(Enjoy your car. Read up on the first oil change . . before you ask, LEAVE IT IN FOR 10k).

VWfan55

TDI
Pics -

Here are some of the pictures.
Grievous Angel-Is it crucial to leave the oil in for the first 10k?

Loving the car so far. I live in Phoenix so the white with cornsilk was a must! It drives like a dream and gets incredible fuel economy.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/gtab55/IMG_20120810_160724.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/gtab55/IMG_20120810_160734.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/gtab55/IMG_20120810_160841.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/gtab55/IMG_20120810_160849_1.jpg

coers

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW JETTA TDI, BLACK EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR AND 6SPD MANUAL
What are the changes between the 2012 and 2013 jetta. I couldn't see any in the pictures compared to my week and half old jetta.

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
congratulations! it looks very good and good color selection as well!
by the way, how much did you pay OTD ? i Live in arizona too ,and looking for used 2000-2006 but some times i think worth dive into new one..Did you have to wait to get this car or was it readily available in dealer's lot

thanks,
brian

VWfan55

TDI
coers- The only changes made to it (at least to my knowledge) were the chrome trim added to the grill and extra "brightwork" in the interior. My brother in law has a '12 TDI and between the two there is VERY little difference, he has premium and so do we. Also, ?all?
of the '13s have 4 wheel disk. The '13s also have the adjustable front arm rest, which if you ask me, 6'2" 270 lbs, it will take some getting used to. I have to find a spot to put my right hand on so it won't move.

Brad- otd was 28,215. We ordered it back in July because we wanted a white/cornsilk with premium. There was an issue with one of the wheels on delivery, so they made us wait until this morning (supposed to have had it Tuesday) and knocked off some of the price for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

rob6188

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Here are some of the pictures.
Grievous Angel-Is it crucial to leave the oil in for the first 10k?
Loving the car so far. I live in Phoenix so the white with cornsilk was a must! It drives like a dream and gets incredible fuel economy.
Thanks for sharing the pics! Keep us posted with any road trip adventures you go on.

It's been a great little commuter car for me, but I can't wait to take it out for a long trip. In the mean time, I just have to live vicariously through other Jetta TDI owners.

Oh! and you should sign up with fuelly.com

Last edited:

coers

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you get a temp gauge and or low washer fluid light. The arm rest being adjusted sounds great too. Congrats on your TDI.
The temp gauge is the one thing I wish I had with my jetta. Have there been any gauges added to anyones dash for coolant temp?

VWfan55

TDI
Thanks for sharing the pics! Keep us posted with any road trip adventures you go on.

It's been a great little commuter car for me, but I can't wait to take it out for a long trip. In the mean time, I just have to live vicariously through other Jetta TDI owners.

Oh! and you should sign up with fuelly.com
I've signed up with fuelly, but don't know how to put the window in on these forums like you and others have. There is no physical temp gauge. There is a low washer fluid light.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
I wish I had the phone function on the radio.

And YES leave the oil in for the 10K. Its supposed to be a breakin oil meant to be in the engine for the full 10k. Plus you're just wasting money if you change it any earlier.

coers

Veteran Member
TDI
I've signed up with fuelly, but don't know how to put the window in on these forums like you and others have. There is no physical temp gauge. There is a low washer fluid light.
1) Go to your dashboard at fuelly.
2) Click on your vehicle -- this will take you to your vehicle page (in my case /driver/TheCityGame/golf)
3) In the lower right, there's text that says, "Share your MPG" with a link to "view all badges and stuff you can share". Click that.
4) There is code there that says, "copy and paste the following BBCode" (you can see big and small).
5)Then go to wwwtdiclub.com and go into your user cp. Then go into edit signature on the left side and paste that BBCODE there.

VWfan55

TDI
1) Go to your dashboard at fuelly.
2) Click on your vehicle -- this will take you to your vehicle page (in my case /driver/TheCityGame/golf)
3) In the lower right, there's text that says, "Share your MPG" with a link to "view all badges and stuff you can share". Click that.
4) There is code there that says, "copy and paste the following BBCode" (you can see big and small).
5)Then go to wwwtdiclub.com and go into your user cp. Then go into edit signature on the left side and paste that BBCODE there.
OK, I did all of that and have put it in my signature. Thanks!

11'jettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Nav
Haha, why did you park a mile from the store fronts??
I do the same...even with when I've got a girl with me...they just get use to it.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
I do the same...even with when I've got a girl with me...they just get use to it.
Me and the wife park are dubs out in BFE all the time without exception. We call it the VW parking rules. It's funny how someone will still park next to our cars out in BFE. Must be mental illness or just some haters out there. :cool:

VWfan55

TDI

Haha! I was waiting for someone to ask that. I live in Phoenix and that day was 117 degrees so I parked in the shade.

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 White M6 w/Prem and Nav

Got mine in May, still doing that. Just don't trust people and renegate shopping carts!
I'll probably be doing it for some time yet.
I'm still babying it, washing it every week, etc.
Let's see how I'm doing next spring after this first winter.....

I like the 'VW Parking rule'. I'll use that from now on....

jtdi15

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta MK VI
I wish I had the phone function on the radio.

And YES leave the oil in for the 10K. Its supposed to be a breakin oil meant to be in the engine for the full 10k. Plus you're just wasting money if you change it any earlier.
So not to change subjects in this thread, I understand that vw has put a special blended break in formula oil, but every diesel mechanic i have talked to since i have bought my tdi (lil less than a month ago) says do not listen to vw change your oil at 5000. Now i dont know who to listen too. Even the mechanics at the vw say to change it at 5000. I called a german performance shop around where i live too (new german performance). They also said just change it at 5000. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Brewmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 GolF R : Oryx White
So not to change subjects in this thread, I understand that vw has put a special blended break in formula oil, but every diesel mechanic i have talked to since i have bought my tdi (lil less than a month ago) says do not listen to vw change your oil at 5000. Now i dont know who to listen too. Even the mechanics at the vw say to change it at 5000. I called a german performance shop around where i live too (new german performance). They also said just change it at 5000. Anyone have an opinion on this?
Read this thread for starters: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360837 :D

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Hey all. I finally was able to purchase a new 2013 Jetta TDI white with cornsilk. I have always wanted a diesel sedan and the Jetta accomplishes just that. I'll have some pictures later.
Me like. :D

Argh!! I have been dreading this day! I now have an old piece of crap!

(Enjoy your car. Read up on the first oil change . . before you ask, LEAVE IT IN FOR 10k).
Yes, but it's a nice old piece of crap. :D

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
One thing to consider, The CRTDI hasnt been around in the states for too long so the "Diesel" mechanics might be relying on their knowledge of truck engines and past VW diesels.

VW dealerships want to get more money out of you. They rip you off for a change so they are motivated.

Im an engineer so I understand the "industry". If the car is designed to have a 10k OCI ( some say in europe substancailly more) than there is a reason why. The first thought is save your money as its a waste, but if you read that other post about modern oils and detergents you find out that the shorter intervals can actually do more damage than long intervals.

I have personally read that modern synthetic oils dont start breaking down noticably until about 17k. How ever many of the filters people use get way too dirty/ineffective way before that. So if you have a quality filter (mann etc) a 10K OCI is NOT a problem.

Lastly, there is alot of info pointing to the stock oil being a breakin oil. Im not 100% sure one this, but if it is true why would you want to change the oil early? If everything is accurate not only did you stop the breakin but you increased wear by using the shorter OCI.

Best thing to do is to read all that you can and form your own opinion. Just be wary about the shops as they have alternative motives to make a few hundred off of you.

This is the important link in the other thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2340534&postcount=27

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Also, ?all?
of the '13s have 4 wheel disk. For 2012, the disks were put in after December for the rear.
You made me had to go and check mine after a year of ownership. I can confirm my '12 purchased in 9/11 does have rear disks. It was obviously made before December.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
It looks good. I hope it treats you well!

My AZ vehicle preference is cloth seats, tinted windows and no shiny chrome-like coatings on the dash, steering wheel, or shift console.

I've been thinking about another TDI but was concerned about some of the recent complaints like rattles, small instrument gauges, etc. I'm glad they returned disc brakes in the rear.

VWfan55

TDI
You made me had to go and check mine after a year of ownership. I can confirm my '12 purchased in 9/11 does have rear disks. It was obviously made before December.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure about the brakes and was told by numerous people (dealers, mechanics, etc) all different things. I'm just glad VW is going to the right direction with respect to brakes.

Last edited:

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure about the brakes and was told by numerous people (dealers, mechanics, etc) all different things. I'm just glad VW is going to the right direction with respect to brakes.
When I bought mine the gas/petrol had drums and solid axles. The deisels had disk and solid axle and the gli was suppose to have disks and irs. Does your 13 still have a solid axle? Not that it matters, with the deisel you would be able to tell.