Decent Independent VW mechanic in the Orange County area?

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Looking at getting my 120k service done, and a few other things. Haven't heard of a trusted independent in my area and am looking for references. Thinking that the dealer will be a $$$ job, and the quality?

Anybody know of one?

Thanks...

Jon

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
The one time I took my TDI to a "trusted guru" in OC it ended in catastrophe. I want to be clear, though, at the time Wild Rose Motors was up in LA and not OC and I am not referring to that shop.

I have read/heard nothing but positive things about Wild Rose Motors and he appears to be in OC now:

Wild Rose Motors
c/o 3901 East La Palma Avenue
Anaheim, California
Non-Domestic
(310) 721-4867
(800) 341-1012
(562) 946-9002 Fax

I have all the tools to do the oil and DSG service if you're comfortable doing those jobs yourself.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
AFAIK Wild rose refuses to work on Common Rail TDIs. I've despaired of finding a good TDI mechanic anywhere in greater LA. My daughter live there and drives a Civic as a consequence.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Jon, can you call and verify that and let us know what you find? When I had my 2012 he quoted me for a TB but dieselgate happened so I just drove it until turn in. That was a little over 2 years ago, though, so maybe things are different now or maybe they were different back when IBW checked.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
I live North West of LA in Ventura County. We have 2 reliable shops in the area that can do a good job repairing TDIs.
Import Auto Clinic in Thousand Oaks in Thousand oaks and AG Auto Werks in Ventura do good work. Each shop has its own advantages. Import Auto Clinic is a test only smog station that can repair and test. Something to think about when you need to get a car smogged. AG autowerks is the place to go to modify a car. They race their daily drivers at the track.
Both shops charge around $ 130 an hour for labor and get it. Both are busy but worth it for the no drama services they offer.

Matthewsz

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 09 wagon
DDK Motors
3975 Birch St # H, Newport Beach, CA 92660

I know them personally, family business. They do other Euro cars too.

davlun

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Saw the comment about Wild Rose and common rail, I don't even know what I have, going to call them in the morning and see that they say. New owner of 2003 Jetta tdi ...

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
1999.5-2003 is ALH (a.k.a "VE" or "distributor/rotary pump")
2004-2006 is PD (a.k.a "unit injector")
2009+ is Common Rail

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
AFAIK Wild rose refuses to work on Common Rail TDIs. I've despaired of finding a good TDI mechanic anywhere in greater LA. My daughter live there and drives a Civic as a consequence.

That's correct.. many years ago I had some issues with my 2010 TDI (I think in 2014)and was ready to bring to car to him, however after talking to him on the phone, he recommended that I use the dealer for the repair.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Jon, can you call and verify that and let us know what you find? When I had my 2012 he quoted me for a TB but dieselgate happened so I just drove it until turn in. That was a little over 2 years ago, though, so maybe things are different now or maybe they were different back when IBW checked.
Well, after a while with the Ventura and the Encinitas being the very far choices... I went to the dealer, where the $1600-1800 estimate (which went to $1400 w savings from my ID parts 120k package) became a $3000 bill with added brake flush, rear rotors and pads, and a side cap cracked radiator repair (2yrs old, insurance repair, out of warranty)

Now I'm contemplating taking it back, have grinding/rubbing noise when AC runs and car deaccels. (See thread in mkV folder, if you have any ideas) Dont want to, but if I can trust Norm Reeves to own up if it is sonething they did, probably best..

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Well, after a while with the Ventura and the Encinitas being the very far choices... I went to the dealer, where the $1600-1800 estimate (which went to $1400 w savings from my ID parts 120k package) became a $3000 bill with added brake flush, rear rotors and pads, and a side cap cracked radiator repair (2yrs old, insurance repair, out of warranty)

Now I'm contemplating taking it back, have grinding/rubbing noise when AC runs and car deaccels. (See thread in mkV folder, if you have any ideas) Dont want to, but if I can trust Norm Reeves to own up if it is sonething they did, probably best..

May put it off and try to contact one of the newer replies. Am set up to leave it tonight, have long vacation drive this weekend. Damn....

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M

May put it off and try to contact one of the newer replies. Am set up to leave it at dealer tonight, have long vacation drive this weekend. Damn....