Frequently Asked Questions

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
Ok folks... Time for a FAQ thread. If you got any good FAQs post the question and/or a link to the thread and I'll update this main post for quick reference. Some so far...

Transmission Stumbling
new Passat sometimes stumbles at partial throttle

CCV Filter Installs
Mann ProVent - Successful Installation!

Engine Heater (for them Northern types)
B5 TDIHeater Now Available!

Seatbelt Chime Disable & Other VAG-COM Goodies
seatbelt chime
Testing driving an 05 Passat PD

Towing
04-05 Passat Sedan TDI Hitch Question
Towing with the TDI...ratings?
Anyone put a receiver hitch on a B5?

PhatBox Install
PhatBox

Euro Split Mirrors
Euro Split Mirrors for new (2004.5) TDI Passat

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Scott, has anyone updated the oil information to included the 505.01 issues and sources?

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
Scott, has anyone updated the oil information to included the 505.01 issues and sources?
I don't believe it is. This FAQ topic is intended to surround specifically the B5 FAQs for folks to quickly and easily find. The main TDIFAQ does need to be updated as much has happened in the last year or two.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
Just an update post... Let me know if I'm missing a good FAQ so I can include it.

Thanks!

whizbyu

Hi I know there was a thread on how to change wiper blades using refills and a pair of long nose pliers. I tried the search but couldn't make it come up. Anyone have the link on this? Thanks!

Antler

TDI
Passat Station Wagon, 2005, Green
Trying to catch up on the nomenclature here...

I am new to VWs as I now own my first, a Passat Station wagon with the 121 cubic inch turbo diesel equipped with the automatic transmission. I see many references here and around the net to "B4" through "B6" powered vehicles. According to my owners manual my engine outputs 134 hp and 247 ft/lbs of torque. How does one tell if you have a B5, B6 and etc?

icnick

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Gray
Your new Passat is a "B5" platform car, or "B5.5" because it was made after the 2001 body revision. This refers to the platform of the car- Jetta/Golf/New Beetle/Audi TT are "A" platform cars- the current one is the A4 (1999.5-2005) platform, but the A5 Jetta has just come out. The Passats are larger "B" platform cars, currently the B5 (VW Passat 1998-2005, Audi A4), but the brand-new B6 platform is now available in europe, and will be here this summer. It is a larger car, and no longer shares the Audi longitudinal platform. It is transverse like the G/J/NB. Your 2.0l TDI-PD engine is engine code "BHW". HTH PM me if you have any other questions.

Nick

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
Why has VW pulled the Passat TDI?

DG

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Who knows... maby they didn't want to get the new one emmissions tested... maby they didn't want to take away from Jetta sales...

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
Everyone I know was dying to get the TDI Passat - I'm sure the profit margin was higher, I can't imagine they feared taking away from Jetta sales...non-TDI Passat sales maybe.

Keyser_Soze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Blue Graphite w/ Beige Leather
After seeing the new Passat it made me want to buy the last of the old models. That new Passat is too bloated for me, and the interior quality is a step down IMO.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Why has VW pulled the Passat TDI?

DG
One theory is that the demand is so high for TDIs in Europe that they simply don't have the capacity to offer them here.

Interestingly, the B4 Passats were only available as TDIs in the last two model years available in N. America: '96 and '97. The B5.5 is the same: '04 and '05.

Perhaps in the last two years of the B6 cycle we'll again get a TDI.

Yes the new Passat is bigger, but it's awesome, and when the wagon comes out, it will be a real SUV killer especially if a 4-motion TDI ever becomes available over here (I'm allowed to dream aren't I?).

Interior quality? I don't think it's "low quality". It looks very nice, but it doesn't look particularly German. With wood trim it looks positively Jaguarish. What I do like about my current Passat, with anthracite interior: very German and non-nonsense looking, high level of fit and finish. In many ways I like the new A5 Jetta interior better as it's more no-nonsense German.

My only regret? In retrospect I should have gotten the wagon. I didn't because we already have a Jetta wagon but the Passat is much roomier.

matt20

TDI
Passat 2004
I'm thinking of getting a vag-com, but I wanted to know where is the diagnostic connector located? I have a 2004 Passat.

Thanks,

matt

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue - DECEASED
I just bought the VAG-COM for my 2005 Passat. Should I have gotten it with CAN?

jurgen01

TDI
passat, 2005, grey
I have a body part related question.
I am not happy with the alignment of my bumper cover as it relates to the body. In order to correct it I need to remove the headlight assembly and prior to this I need to remove the center grill assembly. Does anyone know how to do this? There are two bolts to be removed and the rest seems to be some sort of snap in setup. I dont want to force anything it case it might break.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
I am curious, is the Passat Wagon still being made until middle 2006?

I thought I saw that, but have not seen anything lately. The 2006 best mileage lists are out, the Passat Wagon isn’t on it (or I have not seen it).

It doesn’t seem to matter to me what model year designation the car is, if its still being made for the 2006 model year, then it should be included

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue - DECEASED
sleze said:
I just bought the VAG-COM for my 2005 Passat. Should I have gotten it with CAN?
Answer to my own question. Yes for the 2005 b5.5 Passat, you need the HEX-CAN VAG-COM to get access to everything.

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
Chasis Desgnation and Part Numbers

Hello. nOObie Sloppy Snood here. I own a Northern Green 2005 Passat TDI GLS (2WD).

I am having trouble locating the correct chasis designation and associated part numbers for all the air, fuel, oil, and cabin filter part numbers.

TDIParts.com indicates my chasis is a B5.5 but I do not see part numbers specifically for this chasis. Please help me. -Sloppy

IRONBOY

TDI
05 PASSAT GLS TDI
whizbyu said:
Hi I know there was a thread on how to change wiper blades using refills and a pair of long nose pliers. I tried the search but couldn't make it come up. Anyone have the link on this? Thanks!
If this vehicle is 05 Passat GLS TDI,:cool: you don't need any pliers to change the wiper blades. At least my don't.Just lift the wiper arms from the wind shield, flip the blade over to counterclockwise and slide it out.Replace it with the new one and turn it clockwise to lock in place and "viola"! you are done.;)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
And much lighter in your wallet. You can take the Aero blades apart and replace just the rubber blade portion. Generally costs about $7.

-Jason

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
IRONBOY said:
If this vehicle is 05 Passat GLS TDI,:cool: you don't need any pliers to change the wiper blades. At least my don't.Just lift the wiper arms from the wind shield, flip the blade over to counterclockwise and slide it out.Replace it with the new one and turn it clockwise to lock in place and "viola"! you are done.;)
All worked well except the blades didot want to come out. I finally sprayed some WD40 into the groove and let it seep for about 5 minutes. Then I tried to remove the blade from either side. It took awhile to work them free but I finally won the battle. I then cleaned the area with the WD40 and installed the new blades.

IRONBOY

TDI
05 PASSAT GLS TDI
tdisedanman said:
All worked well except the blades didot want to come out. I finally sprayed some WD40 into the groove and let it seep for about 5 minutes. Then I tried to remove the blade from either side. It took awhile to work them free but I finally won the battle. I then cleaned the area with the WD40 and installed the new blades.

Glad you finally won the battle:D.By the way, nice pics of the two "brothers" on your drive way:cool: .

IRONBOY

TDI
05 PASSAT GLS TDI
Sloppy Snood said:
Hello. nOObie Sloppy Snood here. I own a Northern Green 2005 Passat TDI GLS (2WD).

I am having trouble locating the correct chasis designation and associated part numbers for all the air, fuel, oil, and cabin filter part numbers.

TDIParts.com indicates my chasis is a B5.5 but I do not see part numbers specifically for this chasis. Please help me. -Sloppy

OK sloppy,these are the part numbers:
1 Air filter: 058-133-843
2 Cabin filtre:1H0-819-644-B
3 Fuel filter: 1J0-127-401-A
4 OIL filter: 074-115-562

I can't help but notice that you are a vet.This info is provided in exchange for your title:) .Please let me know when it's safe to dispose my newbie title and assume my new acquired veteran status:D

Last edited:

dano0726

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm trying to change the cabin filter on my 2005 Passat -- the Vortex article shows an older/different VW engine compartment having torx screws...
Am I missing something??? Does the entire one-piece plastic (from passenger side to driver side) come off to change out this filter -- I can see the filter, but I don't see the connectors. It looks like it goes all the up to the windshield glass, over the wiper arms.
How would an A/C mechanic get to the freon connection? How would I replace the battery?
I feel like a real newbie...

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
dano0726 said:
I'm trying to change the cabin filter on my 2005 Passat -- the Vortex article shows an older/different VW engine compartment having torx screws...
Am I missing something??? Does the entire one-piece plastic (from passenger side to driver side) come off to change out this filter -- I can see the filter, but I don't see the connectors. It looks like it goes all the up to the windshield glass, over the wiper arms.
How would an A/C mechanic get to the freon connection? How would I replace the battery?
I feel like a real newbie...
dude, chill! it's not that hard.

open the hood; locate the battery. see the trim/rubber seal underneath the battery compartment, that runs the width of the engine bay? pull it out just to the left (or passenger side) of the battery; the cabin filter is located in there and just slides out (you have to pull the plastic piece covering the battery up a little bit to get to it). the filter may be flow specific (ie, it may fit in there in a specific direction); i can't remember, but it will be pretty obvious, as there will be a top up up written on part. replace the seal (make sure it goes on good and tight).

by the way, a search for cabin filter or pollen filter in the b5 forum would have answered this question for you. cheers!

TDForNow

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI GLS Wagon; 52k, '85 Quantum TD; 487k
IRONBOY said:
He's talking about actually changing out the "rubbers" inside the "aero" wipers with $5-8.00/pr refills instead of paying $20.00 for EACH replacement blade.
BTW, here's the link: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127303

Last edited:

Boiler84

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon GLS TDI
BodyStyle codes

icnick said:
Your new Passat is a "B5" platform car, or "B5.5" because it was made after the 2001 body revision. This refers to the platform of the car- Jetta/Golf/New Beetle/Audi TT are "A" platform cars- the current one is the A4 (1999.5-2005) platform, but the A5 Jetta has just come out. The Passats are larger "B" platform cars, currently the B5 (VW Passat 1998-2005, Audi A4), but the brand-new B6 platform is now available in europe, and will be here this summer. It is a larger car, and no longer shares the Audi longitudinal platform. It is transverse like the G/J/NB. Your 2.0l TDI-PD engine is engine code "BHW". HTH PM me if you have any other questions.

Nick
Go to wikipeida and ask for Passat. It will breakdown the coding for you.