Anyone else have a NOX sensor go bad?

R4074

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon
Car threw a CEL about a week ago, was the NOX sensor and also the engine exhaust flap. My dealer quoted $577 to replace the NOX sensor and $321 for the Exhaust flap when it was in, I declined to have the repairs done as it was a Saturday and I wanted to speak with someone at VW. Dealer charged me $115 for diagnostic and I picked up the car. Car is at 43k miles and neither is covered under the emissions warranty which is rather limited IMO. VOA sent letters out concerning the Exhaust flap for 2009-2012 cars (including some Passats) due to issues with corrosion which extended the warranty to 120k miles; unfortunately my car wasn't included even though the corrosion problem is exactly what caused mine to fail according to the dealer.

After some discussions (heated) with VOA they agreed to cover half the cost. Just curious mainly about the NOX sensor as I know the engine flap is a known issue, to see how many other have had this part fail.

**below is simply venting about dealer and not obviously the fault of VW**

As a side note my dealer really irritated me with this repair. When I called to schedule I asked the SA if I will get any credit for the diagnostic toward the repair amount originally quoted as they know exactly what is needed and hadn't torn anything apart (which required re-assembly without repairing the first visit). He indicated that this would be done under VW warranty rates which are lower than retail so the job would be less than I was quoted originally (which I would pay only 50%) and it would likely be a wash. This made little sense to me as I knew labor rates are slightly less but the total repair would need to be 12-13% less for this to be a wash and I didn't think there was that much discount. Not a big deal so I drop off the car this morning and the SA calls around 3pm and says that everything is done and car is ready. I ask what time they are open until and what the balance due was....6pm and my end is $598, which means that the total was $1,200.00. Now my blood is boiling yet again.

I explained that the other SA quoted me $577 for the NOX sensor and $321 for the Exhaust flap (I still had the same post-it note from the day I was on the phone with the SA originally) when the car was in and I declined the repair at that time. He stated, "I don't know where you got those numbers from" to which i replied, "the other service adviser." He then said that he would check with the tech and call me back. No clue what the tech had to do with the amount quoted but okay. Called me back and said "I worked the numbers again for you and we are going to eat some of the labor and you will owe $578 for your half." I reminded him that I was quoted $900 and I also paid $115 already (which I stated to him that I knew I wasn't going to see that money but still wanted to remind him the original quote was $900) and the "eating" of some labor dropped $40 off the price.

At this point he is getting frustrated with me and keeps throwing out numbers for the repair and then finally states that there were additional parts needed for the repair which total about $70 (a gasket and a clip). Okay, fine, but we are still talking $300 (actually $250 as tax is included in the $1200 number) more than I was quoted and the fact that you guys incorrectly quoted the job (if that is what happened) isn't my fault. He replied "let me pull the repair order from a week ago when the car was originally in to check the notes concerning that quote and also let me talk to the parts guy and see what I can do to get it lower again but if he won't that would have to be it." I politely let him know that I authorized a repair for $900 plus sales tax, of which VW was paying 50%, that number is $450 plus tax, I am giving up on any recovery of the diagnostic fee I paid but I am not paying for a repair amount that I didn't authorize.

He calls back 30-45 minutes later to say everything is set and the total is $449.52 plus tax and I went to get the car. Since my B-2-B warranty is done the only reason I would come back to this dealer is for a warranty (the 12 mos. 12k mi. one) for repairs that they have recently done (NOX Sensor, exhaust flap, Passenger headlamp housing that was replaced for the 2nd or 3rd time recently). Any new issues that are covered I will be looking for another dealer. Basically I have had this car 20 mos. and have been in to the dealer for non-scheduled maintenance related repairs about 6-8 times, which is way too many IMO. I am getting pretty soured on it if I am completely honest.

Spyke

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline DSG
I had mine replaced on my 2012 under emission warranty at 88 000 km

13PassatTDISE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
My CEL light came on with 93 miles (the day I bought the car) and the NOX sensor was the reason, it's been replaced.

cment

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Comfortline DSG in White
NOx sensor

Mine went out of warr at 83k. I had the code read, was still charged $100 for diagnosis, and told $1067 plus tax installed. Asked about some goodwill co op w being so close to warr. Dealer said they couldn't but I should call VW Canada. I did...they said they'd get back to me in 2 days. 1 hour later, service manager calls me...they covered 75%.

Very fair!

R4074

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon
Mine went out of warr at 83k. I had the code read, was still charged $100 for diagnosis, and told $1067 plus tax installed. Asked about some goodwill co op w being so close to warr. Dealer said they couldn't but I should call VW Canada. I did...they said they'd get back to me in 2 days. 1 hour later, service manager calls me...they covered 75%.

Very fair!
Glad you got most of it covered. Noticed you are from Parry Sound; the wife and I visited it there by boat a few years back. Spent a couple of nights in Parry Sound and a few at Killbear Marina. Beautiful area.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Mine was done last month under warranty at about 48,000KM. I had a turbo failure in January at 45000KM, I wondered if there could be a connection- if oil dumped in the exhaust by the failure could have caused NOX sensor issues?

Don

Maritimer

TDI
2012 Touareg previous;2000 Golf
Mind just failed a couple of weeks ago on my 2012 Treg TDI with 92000kms and VW Canada nor any local Stealership will help with the repair cost

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Mind just failed a couple of weeks ago on my 2012 Treg TDI with 92000kms and VW Canada nor any local Stealership will help with the repair cost
If you're out of warranty, why would they? Besides, Moncton is pretty much junk when it comes to dealerships helping out.

Good luck.

Schnell TDI

TDI
2013Passat
As posted above, 2013 Passat replaced at 11,500 miles. Sorry missed this thread before I posted. What's the function of the NOX sensor?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
To measure the amount of NOx coming out of the engine so that the emissions systems can control it.

deswa

TDI
Q5 2.0
Why is it that we have to replace the sensor AND the control unit, while only the sensor is faulty? the sensor alone cost +/- $25!

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
Mine got replaced last week under warranty, not sure how much, got a rental too.

Last edited:

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I just returned from the dealer. Same issue and the part will arrive tomorrow with no one to replace it. Scheduled to return on Monday. Is it safe to drive the vehicle this way?

LimonPani

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDi SE DSG
Mine failed at bout 38k.

Worst part was I had just driven 400 miles and the CEL came up 10 min away from the hotel. Took it to dealer, quoted me almost 800, VWoA took care of it after a phone call same day.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Looks like I am in the same boat with 62K miles on the car, here is the codes I pulled last week. I cleared the codes and the CEL was back 100 miles later. I wonder what my dealer is going to say, I bet the bill will be all mine. :( I just changed out the exhaust flapper valve, $275, dealer wanted $670 to do the job. At the rate this car is going with repair costs... I won't be saving any money driving a diesel.
2 Faults Found:
18644 - NOx Sensor 1 Bank 1
P2200 00 [096] - Electrical Malfunction
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 98824 km
Date: 2028.14.30
Time: 12:19:32
18640 - Sense Circuit for Heater for NOx Sensor 1 Bank 1
P2209 00 [237] - Implausible Signal
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 98709 km
Date: 2028.14.30
Time: 11:08:28

Last edited:

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Mine sent a code with @ 3k miles on the car, and never acted up after that. But I sold it @ 50k miles, so don't know what happened after that.

Big Red

Veteran Member
Just joined the NOX club

Went in for the recall cause I had a light on. Recall programming didn't fix issue (but may have avoided diagnostic charge).
NOX sensor is bad. Dealer didn't have part and ordered it. Since a non stock item made my wife pay for it before leaving.

My B:B warranty is long gone. I'm trying to follow this thread to see if emissions warranty covers this and/or if calling VW is worth it. Dealer obviously didn't suggest this was covered.

Thoughts on how to proceed? Part comes in Tuesday. Is this a DYI install?